Default Branding "expert" claims Rabbitoh a bad mascot

Rabbitohs logo is holding South Sydney back, says branding expert

A branding expert says South Sydney's lack of recent success in the NRL is because of the club's Rabbitohs logo.

Paul Everest says the fluffy white bunny as a logo is too much of a contrast to the image rught league teams want to project.

``No amount of money can help a brand with a defective logo,'' he said.

``A gang of ?hard-hitting? and ?virile? rugby players can?t conjure a ?war? spirit and gain new supporters when their icon is a cute, fluffy, white bunny rabbit.''

But South Sydney has won 20 premierships since 1908 with the Rabbitohs logo and is approaching 25,000 members for the 2013 season.

South Sydney also made the finals for only the second time since 1989 this year and fell one game short of the grand final.

The lack of a fearsome logo also hasn't stopped the Sydney Swans from success in AFL, after winning the 2012 flag.

``I?m a life long rugby league supporter, but the fact remains modern team sports fulfill our primal urge to defend our tribe and spread our seed without anyone having to die like they would have hundreds of thousands of years ago,'' he said.

He says the Rabbitohs need to do some rebranding, despite having one of the biggest supporter bases in Sydney.

*http://inner-west-courier.whereilive...anding-expert/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

What an idiot. Like a bloody Chook or Eel is any better anyway.

It's a mascot that actually has history and relevance to the team. Try hard nuffies like this probably would prefer them to be the Patriots or Bulls or Sonics or some BS. Reminds me of the crap marketing ideas Super League Australia used to dish up.

The Rabbitoh is such an identifiable emblem and under Crowe it has gotten even better. With traditional jerseys for home and away. With a black bunny and a white bunny. They even removed it from the shield which makes it look a million times better.

The mascot is one of the reasons I like Souths.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

As much as I hate to back those nuffies, this guy should read his history. We all know the Rabbitoh was not a rabbit but a rabbit-seller and if you believe Underbelly Razor were they were actually ferocious, bad-****s.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

To some extent (though very minimal) he does have a point. But with such a strong supporter base and how the team has grown in recent years, it blows his theory right out of the water.

BTW, what qualifications does one need to be a 'Branding Expert' ?

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    What an idiot. Like a bloody Chook or Eel is any better anyway.

It's a mascot that actually has history and relevance to the team. Try hard nuffies like this probably would prefer them to be the Patriots or Bulls or Sonics or some BS. Reminds me of the crap marketing ideas Super League Australia used to dish up.

The Rabbitoh is such an identifiable emblem and under Crowe it has gotten even better. With traditional jerseys for home and away. With a black bunny and a white bunny. They even removed it from the shield which makes it look a million times better.

The mascot is one of the reasons I like Souths.
    I am actually quite jealous of Souths! A team shrouded in history that doesn't need to constantly change their logo/mascot/jersey defines a successful brand, in my eyes anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    I am actually quite jealous of Souths! A team shrouded in history that doesn't need to constantly change their logo/mascot/jersey defines a successful brand, in my eyes anyway.
    I agree.

I hated when the Panthers changed from brown and white, and I still much prefer the emblem they had when I was a kid (and even that wasn't their original)

Mind you, the bunnies have changed the actual logo over the years.

At least they've kept the same basic bunny.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I agree.

I hated when the Panthers changed from brown and white, and I still much prefer the emblem they had when I was a kid (and even that wasn't their original)

Mind you, the bunnies have changed the actual logo over the years.

At least they've kept the same basic bunny.
    Yea, I see it as an evolution. A positive one too.

My favourite Panthers emblem is the leaping Panther!

Is it true that there is a new emblem for 2013?

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Yea, I see it as an evolution. A positive one too.

My favourite Panthers emblem is the leaping Panther!

Is it true that there is a new emblem for 2013?
    Leaping panther on brown and white!

No idea, probably!

Great resource here for club emblems too.
    http://nrl.galahs.com.au/001/index.html

Penrith are looking to change their logo but not before next season.