Default Brisbane Bullets

Bruno Cullen to guide push for Brisbane Bullets return

The push to bring the Brisbane Bullets back to the National Basketball League has gained further momentum with the appointment of former Brisbane Broncos CEO Bruno Cullen as Chairman of the Bullets Bid Committee.

In mid-October, a new partnership between Basketball Queensland, Basketball Australia and a private equity investor, Brisbane Bullets Queensland Pty Ltd, was announced with the objective of securing further private equity, government, corporate and in-kind backing for the return of the Bullets.

Former Executive Director of the Queensland Olympic Council, Mr Michael Brierley, was appointed full-time as the bid group?s Chief Executive Officer, and he will now be joined by Mr Cullen in guiding the push to bring an NBL team back to Queensland?s capital.

Basketball Australia Chief Executive Officer Kristina Keneally said Mr Cullen?s appointment threw significant momentum behind the Brisbane bid.

?We?re thrilled to have Bruno Cullen on-board leading the charge to bring an NBL team back to Brisbane,? Ms Keneally said.

?His appointment to the role of Chairman of the Brisbane Bullets Bid Committee clearly demonstrates the integrity and potential the bid holds ? and I have no doubt his vast experience and success in the sporting world will prove invaluable.?

Mr Cullen said he relished the challenge of chairing the bid committee.

?I am very happy to be involved in this process and assist where I can to try and re-establish a National Team here in Brisbane, and importantly South East Queensland,? Mr Cullen said.

?With Cairns and Townsville having teams it?s a real shame this tremendously popular sport has no representation here in SEQ and if I can help change that it would be great for the sport and the basketball community.?

Basketball Queensland Chief Executive Officer Graham Burns said it was an exciting appointment for basketball.

?We are very excited with the appointment of the former CEO of an iconic sporting team, the Broncos, to chair another iconic sporting name, the Brisbane Bullets,? said Mr Burns. ?This adds credibility to our bid and gives us the impetus to push for an NBL team next season.?

Brisbane Bullets
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Sweet, then I can go watch the Kings flog 'em. \o/

It's a date! Except the Bullets will win!
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    It's a date! Except the Bullets will win!
    I was talking to the legendary Leroy Loggins last week. He is seriously pumped! Not sure what role is going to play, but he was smiling. Good to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    I was talking to the legendary Leroy Loggins last week. He is seriously pumped! Not sure what role is going to play, but he was smiling. Good to see.
    A come-back ... a marquee signing?
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Admittedly, I haven't been following the NBL too much. But it does make one wonder what's going on with the sport. As there seems to be franchises constantly closing down and other starting up again.

Also, it's a worry when news about long term teams like the Townsville Crocs and Cairns Taipans that have been financially viable for years are teetering on the brink of going broke.

Good luck to the Brisbane Bullets. I just hope it's not a case of a few stuffing their pockets full of money, while the club is afloat.