Default Martin Lang joins Gold Coast Titans coaching staff

Martin Lang joins Gold Coast Titans coaching staff

FORMER Queensland Origin cult hero Martin Lang has joined the Gold Coast Titans as an assistant strength and conditioning coach.

Lang, who retired in 2004 after 176 NRL games with Cronulla and Penrith, played eight Origins for the Maroons and has run a successful personal training business since he quit rugby league.

The son of former South Sydney and Penrith coach John Lang, Martin joins the Titans following a stint working with the now defunct Gold Coast United A-League team.

Renowned for his hard running style, Lang will have a strong influence over the Titans' preseason training program and ensure the likes of Jamal Idris and David Taylor enter 2013 in peak physical condition.

Lang was recruited to the Titans following the departure of head strength and conditioning coach Chris McLellan, who has since joined the Brisbane Lions on a part-time basis.

McLellan's former assistant, Dan Ferris, is the Titans new head strength and conditioning coach for 2013.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Lang adds punch to Titans coaching line up

Former Penrith Panthers and Queensland Origin player Martin Lang put Luke Bailey through his paces as he assumed his new role as assistant strength and conditioning coach at the iSelect Gold Coast Titans.

Previously working with Gold Coast United soccer team as a trainer, Lang has signed on with the Titans as assistant strength and conditioning coach beginning pre-season training with the team this week.

“I’m thankful for the opportunity, it’s something I’m looking forward to,” said Lang.

The former prop brings a wealth of experience to the club with a decade’s playing experience in the NRL including 176 1st grade games for Cronulla and Penrith, 8 games for Queensland and a premiership victory with the Panthers in 2003.

Coach John Cartwright is hoping Lang will impart plenty of knowledge to some of the younger players in the Titans squad.

“Carty’s looking for me to do a little of that, basically wherever I can help out, if a young front rower comes to me for advice I’m happy to help,” said Lang.

“If I can improve them in that manner then that’s good.”

Lang is so far impressed with the level of fitness the Titans have maintained over the off-season.

“They’ve all got a really good level of fitness, there’s not too many that came back overweight and out of nick.”

Lang will join a coaching staff that already contains another Queensland great in Trevor Gillmeister. He is looking forward to working with his old Origin team mate.

“He’s a great bloke and he’s been at the Titans a long time and he’s highly respected in the game so I’ll learn a few things off Gilly, that’ll be great.”

Lang said he’s happy to be back involved with rugby league and the Titans after some time away from the game.

“It’s exciting, I’ve been out of the game a few years now, apart from a few Masters matches, it’s going to be terrific to be back involved with a good group of guys that are very professional."

“It’s a great set up here at the Titans so I’m looking forward to it.”

http://www.titans.com.au/

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

I have totally nothing against this bloke. He was a whole-hearted player and his dad was a real Qld legend, however, you've got to smile at the advice he could give a young bloke.

Young prop: Langy, when I get the ball what should I do?
    Lang: Tuck it under your wing mate and let rip.
    YP: Should I use any evasive skills? You know, so I live to fight another day sort of thing.
    L: Yeah sure, you can use the head wobble. It always worked for me.
    YP: What about the sidestep?
    L: No problem but the front ones are quicker if you're in such a hurry to leave.
    YP: No mate, I mean should I practice the sidestep or the swerve ?
    L: Meh, I always found the macarena won the chicks for me.
    YP: Sir, sorry, it's my fault I didn't make it clear. I mean, you know, the sidestep that players use when they run at the opposition line.
    L: Yeah I knew that. Just hold on a sec, I've got to take a call from my dad. [takes call and whispers] pop, this bloke asked me about something called a sidestep, what's that? [after call and back to the lad] nah, mate that never works. That's for ****tah backs. My dad always says the fastest route to the try line is a straight line and remember I scored one once.
    YP: Gee thanks for all that. I'm off now. I have an appointment with the coach who's going to show me how to perfect an inside ball.
    L: See ya, and good luck with that [poor bugger, having one ball inside and the other outside must be very painfull]
    Last edited by Titanic; 08-11-12 at 01:04 AM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Apparently he is a nutcase fitness addict, sounds good for the boys

Team should be fit as a fiddle come round 1
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post

Martin Lang was all heart and fearless. But I remember holding my breath and hoping for the besy every time he took the ball up, he was quite a kamikaze.

He is a fitness freak, so it'll be good for the team.

Loved Titanic's skit.

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post

Sounds like he will suit the role

Funny skit Titanic but it would be funnier with opposition players.

I wouldn't waste my time on oppositon players.

Lang is a nice addition to this club. He's one of the fastest forwards I've ever seen, didn't he chase down someone in origin? Young forwards will look up to him and hopefully he'll teach them his warrior like attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mole View Post
    Lang is a nice addition to this club. He's one of the fastest forwards I've ever seen, didn't he chase down someone in origin? Young forwards will look up to him and hopefully he'll teach them his warrior like attitude.
    Wishart in '98, although Wishart would have gotten away, but it gave Sing the opportunity to catch him from behind. Still, not often you see a prop keep pace with a winger!

If he can teach some young forwards to run in a straight line that's fine by me. Most forwards these days run across field like they're Brent Tate or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Most forwards these days run across field like they're Brent Tate or something.
    And some other McBacks too

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Still, not often you see a prop keep pace with a winger!
    Nate Myles chased down Manu Vatuvei over about 90m this year to stop him 2m before the trylline

Quote Originally Posted by mup23 View Post
    Nate Myles chased down Manu Vatuvei over about 90m this year to stop him 2m before the trylline
    And let's not forget Scott Sattler. \o/