Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Eels Want Cap Concession For Folau

BY James MacSmith AAP Mon, Nov 26, 2012 - 11:20 AM

Parramatta boss Ken Edwards says the complicated nature of Israel Folau's contract negotiations has forced them to ask the ARL Commission for permission to break the NRL salary cap.

On Monday, Edwards confirmed the Eels have put forward a radical proposal to the ARLC to allow them to spend $400,000 over the $5 million cap in 2013 in order to accommodate Folau.

"It is an extremely complicated situation," Edwards said.

"Both the ARLC, the NRL and Parramatta have all worked very hard to come to a resolution on the matter.

"(But) it is becoming frustrating. We need to know as a club where we are so we can move forward and so does Israel Folau."

Edwards reportedly met with ARLC Chairman John Grant on Friday to discuss the proposal which would average the club's expenditure on players out over the 2013 and 2014 seasons.

Under the proposal, the Eels would have a salary cap of $5.4 million next season and then one of $4.6 million the season after.

It is an idea unlikely to be greeted sympathetically by other NRL clubs, especially given the governing body's hard line stance on salary-cap cheating - including stripping Melbourne of their 2007 and 2009 premiership titles and shattering the Bulldogs' campaign in 2002.

Folau quit his lucrative AFL contract with Greater Western Sydney on November 1 and since then the ARLC and the Eels have been at loggerheads over the former international.

The Eels wanted to register Folau on a contract worth $150,000 a season - a move rejected by salary cap auditor Ian Schubert.

"We have been open and transparent from the start," Edwards said.

"We haven't tried to keep anything (hidden)."

Parramatta are waiting on a response from the NRL in regard to the proposal.

The news came on a day Parramatta announced a new five-year deal with Venues NSW over the use of Parramatta Stadium as the club moved to allay fears from fans they could abandon their home since 1986 - the year of their most recent premiership win.

The deal is to use Parramatta Stadium as their main home ground for three years with a two-year option.

Under the 2013 NRL draw released on Friday, the Eels will play eight home games at Parramatta Stadium, with three to be played at ANZ Stadium and one taken to Mudgee in regional NSW.

"Parramatta Stadium is a big part of the club's history and the players love playing here," Edwards said.

"This is the club's spiritual home ground and we want to build on the rock solid cauldron type atmosphere."
    This is such utter rubbish. What's the point of a salary cap if every time a team wanted to buy an expensive player they asked for a concession?

And we're not talking a small one here, it's HUGE. Basically what they're saying is, Folau doesn't really want to play league, but the rugby union have said they don't want him, so now he won't play league either until they come up with a stupidly high salary for him.

NO club should ever be able to do that.

But I will chuck a tanty if Folau doesnt return to Rugby League.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    NO club should ever be able to do that.

But I will chuck a tanty if Folau doesnt return to Rugby League.
    I'll chuck a tanty if he does. The only reason he's even talking to league teams is because he can't play AFL and the union don't want him, which at this point is making them a lot smarter.

He retired from league and became a failure, and now we have to break the rules to bring a failure back in? Rugby league should not be the one grovelling on hands and knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I'll chuck a tanty if he does. The only reason he's even talking to league teams is because he can't play AFL and the union don't want him, which at this point is making them a lot smarter.

He retired from league and became a failure, and now we have to break the rules to bring a failure back in? Rugby league should not be the one grovelling on hands and knees.
    Agree mate but if he wants to come back to League he should be signed on @ the games minimum contract not on a Rock Stars , he has been away for 2 years who's to say he will be anywhere near where he was when
    "He Quit" our game
    #itaintweaktospeak

There's no way Parramatta should be allowed to break the salary cap for any reason...if allowed, every team would just buy a grandfinal one year and sacrifice the next.

I agreed with your original point Steve but I don't understand your personal attack on Folau and I don't understand why some fans get so hurt by players moving away from the sport for a period of time.
    We don't own these athletes and they have made networks within Rugby League community.
    If he has the opportunity to play League again within the current rules then its good for the game.

I have had enough of all this talk of Folautio and KHunt and chucking panties ... can't you guys keep it clean?
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    There's no way Parramatta should be allowed to break the salary cap for any reason...if allowed, every team would just buy a grandfinal one year and sacrifice the next.

I agreed with your original point Steve but I don't understand your personal attack on Folau and I don't understand why some fans get so hurt by players moving away from the sport for a period of time.
    We don't own these athletes and they have made networks within Rugby League community.
    If he has the opportunity to play League again within the current rules then its good for the game.
    No, we don't own the players, but let's face it, the whole thing was nothing more than a publicity stunt designed to boost the AFL and hurt rugby league. And now we're expected to beg and grovel and break rules to appease someone who was more than happy to make a mockery of the game?

South Sydney ready to swoop on Israel Folau if Eels casn't find room under salary cap

THE NRL will block a radical Parramatta attempt to sign Israel Folau by breaking the club's salary cap next season - and South Sydney could be waiting to pounce.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal the Rabbitohs have expressed a private interest in signing Folau if the NRL cannot register the Eels deal.

Sources close to Folau's management team said their client was "open" to the idea of representing Souths next season, despite his first preference being Parramatta.

South Sydney chief executive Shane Richardson said only yesterday: "We don't make comment in regards to our recruitment."

The only question mark would be about whether Souths have sufficient room to move in their salary cap, yet key forwards Dave Taylor and Eddy Pettybourne have moved on and Scott Geddes has retired.

St George Illawarra, Gold Coast and possibly Canberra may also have space to look at Folau, who will also be pursued by rugby union teams overseas.

Parramatta are seeking approval from the ARLC to spend more than the game's $5 million salary cap for next year to sign Folau and then operate under a reduced cap for 2014.

The ARLC wants Folau registered at $400,000 and is ready to reject Parramatta's proposal to have the club's cap raised to $5.4 million for next year but reduced by $400,000 - to $4.6 million - for 2014.

The plan would see the Eels spend the same amount - $10 million - as every other club.

But the ARLC is understood to be wary of the deal, cautious about rival clubs' reaction.

And one NRL club chief executive said: "There's no way they could approve that. There would be hell to pay. Every club would be trying that on. I know Manly would be going straight to the NRL to register Brett Stewart."

NRL interim CEO Shane Mattiske would not elaborate on Parramatta's plan but did say: "We are keen to have Israel return to the game but it is important the integrity of the salary cap is maintained.

"We have been in discussions with Parramatta to provide guidance about the best contract structure that complies with the salary cap rules which all 16 clubs support. We are continuing our discussions with the Eels."

A second option to register Folau is culling one, two or maybe three Eels players, but that would be difficult given pre-season training has begun.

"It's an extremely complicated situation," Eels chief executive Ken Edwards said. "It's becoming frustrating. We need to know as a club where we are so we can move forward, and so does Israel Folau."

In The Daily Telegraph's online poll yesterday, of more than 6500 respondents who were asked, 'Should the Eels be allowed to breach the salary cap to sign Israel Folau?' nearly 70 per cent said no.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

No, we don't own the players, but let's face it, the whole thing was nothing more than a publicity stunt designed to boost the AFL and hurt rugby league. And now we're expected to beg and grovel and break rules to appease someone who was more than happy to make a mockery of the game?
    Never seen it in that light before. Good way of putting it, Steve. Pretty well on the money I guess.

You honestly don't think it was Folau's intention to make a "mockery of the game".
    The salary cap was too low and that was the risk the NRL took...you can't blame the players for decicions they are making on behave of themselves and family.

I think you should focus the negative energy towards the AFL.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    South Sydney ready to swoop on Israel Folau if Eels casn't find room under salary capSt George Illawarra, Gold Coast and possibly Canberra may also have space to look at Folau, who will also be pursued by rugby union teams overseas.http://www.heraldsun.com.au
    Sounds like a whole pile of crap to me!

Typical media making stuff up as they go!

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    You honestly don't think it was Folau's intention to make a "mockery of the game".
    The salary cap was too low and that was the risk the NRL took...you can't blame the players for decicions they are making on behave of themselves and family.

I think you should focus the negative energy towards the AFL.
    Classic Game Theory
    The AFL looked for a couple of patsies that they could turn for money, and use against the NRL in 2 new expansion areas.
    Folou and Hunts reasons are irrelevant, it was simply leverage.

It now comes down to what to do with Folou as he wants back in.
    Just like turning a spy in the war, has to be done smart, and with clear goals in mind.

The NRL are in a unique position this year to take back SBW, Quade Cooper, and Folou for coins, its a no brainer to me, use all 3. and use them well
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

I'm with Coaster on this.

Folau would be a big signing for Souths. They really lacked his brand of fire power late in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    Classic Game Theory
    The AFL looked for a couple of patsies that they could turn for money, and use against the NRL in 2 new expansion areas.
    Folou and Hunts reasons are irrelevant, it was simply leverage.

It now comes down to what to do with Folou as he wants back in.
    Just like turning a spy in the war, has to be done smart, and with clear goals in mind.

The NRL are in a unique position this year to take back SBW, Quade Cooper, and Folou for coins, its a no brainer to me, use all 3. and use them well
    Thats fine if your looking at it from a Rugby League point of view but its the clubs that put up the offers.
    Parramatta has already tried bending the rules and I'd say Folau's manager would have been approached from a few different clubs.

He'll go wherever the money is and why not from his point of view?

From my point of view though, he can bugger off, but then again he doesn't care about that. From the League's point of view they either want to thumb their noses at the gAyFL or spank the player or both but the player doesn't care ... so?

He goes where the money is.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.