View Poll Results: Who should be 2013 Titans captain?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Luke Bailey?

21 38.89%
  • Ashley Harrison?

5 9.26%
  • Greg Bird?

16 29.63%
  • Nate Myles?

9 16.67%
  • Matt Srama?

2 3.70%
  • Aiden Sezer?

0 0%
  • Michael Henderson?

1 1.85%
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

I like the idea of Bailey or Myles as captain. Two guys that always put their bodies on the line, even when injured.

Far more inspiring than Scott "Quarterbacks don't have to defend" Prince.

Titans Captaincy decision still weeks away

The iSelect Gold Coast Titans are yet to decide who will fill the captaincy position in 2013 following the departure of Scott Prince. Full back Will Zillman says there?s a number of players that can step up to the role.

?Luckily I don?t have to make that decision,? said Zillman. ?Carty (Coach John Cartwright) knocked it on the head last week when he said there?s probably about five or six blokes that could take over the job and do it really well.?

Those 5 or 6 players are current senior players at the club and could easily fill the captaincy with the support of the playing group.

?Obviously Bails (Bailey) has been there before and he?s a true leader. You?ve got other guys like Harro (Harrison) Nate Myles as well as Minichiello. They are our leaders and they are a real chance.?

As he renewed his contract with the Titans earlier this year, Zillman was pegged as a captain in years to come, a mantle he would happily carry into 2013.
    Zillman said, ?If it was bestowed on me I?d be absolutely over the moon. For me personally it?s one of the highest achievements you can get in football and I?d be honored to get the role.?

The immediate concern for the Titans is regaining match fitness for the year. A heavy track session at Ashmore today proved there are a number of players stepping up their work loads after a lengthy off season. Zillman said he was impressed with the levels of fitness the Titans have maintained in their break.
    ?There?s plenty of fit blokes in the club and a lot of blokes have come back in pretty good nick. It?s a good start for us.?

The next few weeks will be focused on strength and fitness before getting stuck into ball work after the Christmas break.

?These six weeks leading up to Christmas are all about getting fit and strong,? said Zillman who has been at the front of the pack during pre-season training. ?After Christmas we can get the ball in our hands a bit more and start to do our plays and get all that down pat.?

http://www.titans.com.au/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Default William Zillman wants Titans captaincy

Travis Meyn | 12:01am November 10, 2012

WILLIAM Zillman has put his hand up for the Titans captaincy, saying he is ready to assume the role from the departed Scott Prince.

Prince left the Titans to join the Brisbane Broncos on a two-year deal, leaving the Titans looking for a new halfback and skipper.

Fullback Zillman has emerged as a contender along with the likes of forwards Luke Bailey, Nate Myles, Greg Bird and Ashley Harrison.

The 26-year-old custodian signed a five-year contract extension earlier this year, meaning he would be a long-term choice for the Titans.

And he yesterday confirmed he was mature enough to step into Prince's shoes.

"If someone had of said to me at the start of last season 'you'll be captain next year' it probably would have been a bit of a shock," he said.

"I wouldn't have quite known if I was up to the job yet but I think this season I've grown a fair bit as a footballer."

Bailey was Prince's co-captain for the first three years of the club's existence before coach John Cartwright opted to streamline the role.

The 32-year-old prop is the oldest player in the team and is off contract at the end of 2013 along with 31-year-old lock Harrison.

Zillman is one of the favourites for the role with the 27-year-old Myles another leading contender given his fantastic season and leadership qualities.

Zillman was loath to nominate his choice for the role but said there were numerous contenders.

"Luckily I don't have to make that decision," he said.

"We'll see what happens.

"All the older guys. Obviously Bails has been there before and is a true leader.

"There's other guys like Harro, Nate Myles, (Mark) Minichiello. They're all our leaders."

Zillman had a slow start to the 2012 season before exploding in the second half of the year.

He said the growing bond within the new playing group had helped prepare him for the captaincy if he was given the chance.

"With the new guys coming into the club, while we probably didn't have the season we wanted, we started to form a really good bond in the team," he said.
    #itaintweaktospeak

How does he assume captaincy if he will barely be in the team next year. And also is there another team in the comp which has a fullback as their captain?
    2013 - Sezer's breakout year

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Sezer View Post
    How does he assume captaincy if he will barely be in the team next year. And also is there another team in the comp which has a fullback as their captain?
    Bareley in the team?? I think you are dreaming if you think that he will be in all games as long as he doesn't get injured.
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by Smakked View Post
    Bareley in the team?? I think you are dreaming if you think that he will be in all games as long as he doesn't get injured.
    If he is in the woeful form that he was at the beginning of this year then Matty Russell or Mead might replace Zillman at fullback. Personally i want Zillman in the centres. Zillman isnt captain material.
    2013 - Sezer's breakout year

but I think this season I've grown a fair bit as a footballer
    Not in my first 5 ... I repeat that Bailey (c) should bring on Ridge (VC) because we haven't prepared a sucession so it should be Bailey for now and Ridge is the no frills achiever that looks like he'll be a fixture in the team and an inspiration to his team mates, imho.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Should be a fella who will be on the pitch the entire game.

Zilly would be a fairly good captain.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Do you mean as a center?

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Do you mean as a center?

The pick of the forwards would have to be Harro, 80 min player who seems level headed and generally liked by the Titans public. Picking Bailey or Myles just means you need to pick someone else for when they are interchanged.

My money is on Zilly or Harro as captain.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

With our forward pack, I don't think any of them will be playing 80mins.

Captain has got to be a person who leads by example week-in week-out, has the respect of the referees, selflessly puts himself on the line for the team, and doesn't give away stupid penalties or errors. Out of our top contenders, that rules out Zillman, Harro & Bird - and leaves Bailey & Myles.
    Personally I'd think it'd be insulting to go past Bailey, even if it is his last year. Co-captaincy should never have been taken off him IMO. Although I wound't be upsetif Myles got the nod.
    Other option would be to go for a young, long term captain, and that would have to be Srama for me...
    Last edited by Ryan; 11-11-12 at 09:17 AM.
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Good summary Ryan ... the reason I haven't plumped for Srama as our long term skipper is because I think he will be forced into a positional change and that may take all his concentration ... he would certainly be my second choice after Ridge.

Your going to have to have a co captain if you want Bailey, the fella is playing on minimal mins. Maybe this could be the time we blood Srama.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Your going to have to have a co captain if you want Bailey, the fella is playing on minimal mins. Maybe this could be the time we blood Srama.
    That'd be a great setup!
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Not in my first 5 ... I repeat that Bailey (c) should bring on Ridge (VC) because we haven't prepared a sucession so it should be Bailey for now and Ridge is the no frills achiever that looks like he'll be a fixture in the team and an inspiration to his team mates, imho.
    IMHO Stevie Michaels cult hero should be a shoe-in. Bloody legend.