Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Greg Bird says Titans have their own Thurston in Albert Kelly

TITANS co-captain Greg Bird has likened halfback Albert Kelly to Origin star Johnathan Thurston as the Gold Coast's new No. 7 prepares to come up against the Test shot-caller.

Kelly will get his final opportunity to sew up Scott Prince's old jersey in a pre-season trial against the Cowboys in Mackay on Saturday night.

He is likely to come up against Queensland ace Johnathan Thurston in what will be the Gold Coast's final hit-out before a round 1 trip to Cronulla.

Kelly and Aidan Sezer have been earmarked as the Gold Coast's new halves combination after Prince left for the Brisbane Broncos and Bird said the 21-year-old reminded him of Thurston.

"It's a good test. I think they're very similar players," he said. "Albi's got a hell of a long way to go to come up to that class but they're very similar in the style they play.

"They play a lot off-the-cuff. You blink and you'll miss them. You have to be aware all the time when you're on his team.

"Playing with JT is exactly the same. When he sees an opportunity he's going to go for it and you have to make sure you're pushing through helping him."

Kelly has been impressive in the club's two trial wins over New Zealand and Brisbane and linked well with Sezer in the 40 minutes they played together.

The Titans will field a stronger team against the Cowboys, allowing Kelly to play off the back of a star forward pack including Nate Myles, Luke Bailey and Bird.

Bird said Kelly would flourish behind a strong engine room and he urged the 14-game rookie to continue his natural style of play.

"It's going to be a good test for him with the extra experience in the forward pack to level the youth and enthusiasm out a bit," Bird said.

"There's always room in rugby league for those sort of players. As the years go by, you see less and less of them because of the Melbourne dominance.

"The way they've dominated teams is by pure structure. Other teams are going that way but not every team has got those players.

"You've got to play to your strengths. The Cowboys do it up there and Ben Barba did the same thing.

"We'll be doing the best to give Albi every opportunity to find space."

Coach John Cartwright will today name his squad for the trial with Mark Minichiello (ankle) and Ryan James (groin) battling minor injuries and no certainties to play.

Rugby union convert Mark O'Dare has been dropped from the NRL squad and will filter back to the Queensland Cup.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/...-1226582195667

Wouldn't advise clicking the link unless you want to hear Ben Ikin and Paul Kent instantly deeming us as a bottom 4 team
    Last edited by Hail Sezer; 21-02-13 at 07:19 AM.

Soo O'Dare got 20 minutes game time to earn a contract? His defensive lapses were pretty well justified by multiple people on the forum. Bit of a shame really.

Surely there must have been something at training which indicated he wasn't ready for NRL yet.

The full trial squad is listed below:

Titans vs Cowboys
    7.30pm - Saturday, February 23
    Virgin Australia Stadium, Mackay

1. William Zillman
    2. Anthony Don
    3. Kevin Gordon
    4. Jamal Idris
    5. David Mead
    6. Aidan Sezer
    7. Albert Kelly
    8. Luke Douglas
    9. Matt Srama
    10. Nate Myles
    11. Greg Bird
    12. David Taylor
    13. Ben Ridge

Interchange
    14. Luke Bailey
    15. Ryan James
    16. Mark Minichiello
    17. Luke O'Dwyer
    18. Jordan Rankin
    19. Brad Takairangi
    20. Sam Irwin
    21. Steve Michaels

I think that will be similar top 13 to our round one team.

Only harro in for Ridge, who would go to the bench.

Not saying I'm 100% sure Gordon / Don is the best left side possible, but it does seem that's how well start the year.

It's a relief to see no Beau Henry in the squad.

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    It's a relief to see no Beau Henry in the squad.
    Agree with that mate , i don't see how he earns a spot when the only thing he does better than anyone else is putting up a high bomb

Fantastic to see Bails on the bench, it makes a round 1 start more likely now.

Almost our strongest side ,Great Forward Pack
    #itaintweaktospeak

Hey Titan Pete, is there any more news on whether JAMES or MINI are playing.

I was hoping JAMES would of got through his sore groin issue for a good trial hit out.

Looks a very strong side we are taking and I think we could get the money up there

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    Fantastic to see Bails on the bench, it makes a round 1 start more likely now.
    Indeed, I was stoked to see Bails named to come off the bench. it'll stir him up more 'n his presence will be noticed by all when takes to the paddock.

Probably a better impact player, than what Taylor would be coming off the bench

Junior

I watched the video. What do commentators like Ikin and Kent see in our squad to rate us so poorly? Is this it? Is this how those who don't know what we know see our players in terms of NRL standards? I dont know but i cant fathom why others (like the bookies) dont see us achieving.

1. William Zillman average
    2. Anthony Don untested
    3. Kevin Gordon average
    4. Jamal Idris good
    5. David Mead average
    6. Aidan Sezer inexperienced
    7. Albert Kelly untested
    8. Luke Douglas good
    9. Matt Srama inexperienced
    10. Nate Myles V. Good
    11. Greg Bird V. Good
    12. David Taylor Good
    13. Ben Ridge average

Interchange
    14. Luke Bailey Good/old
    15. Ryan James average
    16. Mark Minichiello average
    17. Luke O'Dwyer average
    18. Jordan Rankin average
    19. Brad Takairangi inexperienced
    20. Sam Irwin untested
    21. Steve Michaels poor/average

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Soo O'Dare got 20 minutes game time to earn a contract? His defensive lapses were pretty well justified by multiple people on the forum. Bit of a shame really.

Surely there must have been something at training which indicated he wasn't ready for NRL yet.
    O Dare is a Fullback and I see him as tha answer long term to our centre problems.I don't believe he was given a good go in the trials.With limited opportunities in the game against warriors he scored twice.He played with a. Back rower inside of him who rushed off the line forcing O Dare up.A winger can be made to look silly when you have to contend with this.He only received the back end of the Broncos game 20mins by all reports his positional play good outside Micheals.This kid O Dare needs game time to get use to Rugby League playing for the bears will allow this to happen.For the record O Dare will go to the Qld and with confidence take the comp apart.But to suggest this kid has not got what it takes it to make it based on what we have seen so far is foolhardy.
    Me

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Dad View Post
    Hey Titan Pete, is there any more news on whether JAMES or MINI are playing.

I was hoping JAMES would of got through his sore groin issue for a good trial hit out.

Looks a very strong side we are taking and I think we could get the money up there
    Both players are named in the squad
    #itaintweaktospeak

The prop debate is solved for the season with Myles starting against the best 2 props in the country. Cartwright will use him in the prop rotation again.

O'Dare needs time in the QCup and why not? There were several likely candidates and someone was going to be disappointed. I, for one, backed him in and I look forward to him proving the coach wrong.

Every other "expert" reckons we are disorganised and that is why they rank us so low. We have the players but do we have the plays? It's something we have debated on here for years.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    The prop debate is solved for the season with Myles starting against the best 2 props in the country. Cartwright will use him in the prop rotation again.
    I didn't think there was a debate, this was always going to be the case.

O'Dare needs time in the QCup and why not? There were several likely candidates and someone was going to be disappointed. I, for one, backed him in and I look forward to him proving the coach wrong.
    Agreed, well said.

Every other "expert" reckons we are disorganised and that is why they rank us so low. We have the players but do we have the plays? It's something we have debated on here for years.
    We have not given the critics any reason to put us anywhere but toward the bottom of the ladder. With the side we've got if we don't start pushing up the ladder, then they have to look outside the players for results, but in saying that we have a young spine in 2013 and anything is possible.

Nice looking side, no surprises there. They should give the cows a touch up.

Good to see Ridge getting a start at lock.

This time last year it would of been O'Dwyer.