Immortal

Default Player in second change at NRL

Player in second chance at NRL

JARED SMITH

At 17 years of age, former Hawera Hawks rugby league prodigy Jade Waretini has a second chance to get back on the "pathway" to the NRL.

The second row forward is wearing Gold Coast Titans colours at the moment and plans to keep them for the next six months after a move to Brisbane in August proved fortuitous.

"I rocked up to an open trial for the Gold Coast Titans under-18s for the 2013 Mal Meninga competition squad."

Waretini has been chosen in one of the two squads and has just one more roster cut to get through.

"From there, it's just been real hard work with training. Our preseason training starts on November 5 and they are cutting the squad down [from 60] to around 45 players to field the two teams.

"I think I've got a really good chance."

After six years with the Hawera Hawks, Waretini spent a season with the Randwick Kingfishers club in Wellington, which set him up with the Penrith Panthers.

He was in the Panthers' under-17 elite training squad - playing a handful of games from January to March - before coming back to Hawera High School for his education. He then took a chance by moving to Queensland in August.

"Penrith told me to come back to them for next year. Cost-wise, I couldn't afford to live there, but I have family in Brisbane who are looking after me - without them I wouldn't be here right now," he said. "It's definitely a second crack. They call it the pathway to the NRL."

He is living with fellow former Hawk Linton Price, who has virtually been his training coach.

Waretini is also attending courses at the league-mad Wynnum State High School, helping him with certificates in business, horticulture, sport and recreation.

He hopes to follow the well-mapped path of other South Taranaki-bred stars Elijah Taylor and Issac Luke by climbing through the Titans' ranks.

"Hopefully I'm good enough to be selected for the Gold Coast Titans under-20s for 2014."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-dail...-chance-at-NRL

there are alot of players that are in the sqaud that were not at that trial that day some really good players that no one will see till game day