Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Campbell against All Stars boycott

Preston Campbell does not support the NRL players in any plans to boycott the Harvey Norman Rugby League All Stars game.

Campbell, the mastermind behind the NRL All Stars concept, talked to NRL.com to clarify his position, with reports overnight indicating he understood the players talk of strike action.

?I was not condoning or supporting the boys boycotting the All Stars game,? Campbell told NRL.com.

?I was basically stating that I understand that they were trying to raise minimum wage and working towards a solution.

?Boycotting any game is not the right way to go about things. Whether it is All Stars or any game of football, boycotting is not ideal.

?I never said that I supported strike action, but I do understand the players? position and them trying to get a compromise around the salary cap.?

Campbell is one of the most respected figures to have played the game, notching up 267 NRL games in a career spanning 14 years, winning a premiership with Penrith in 2003.

The former Dally M Player of the Year agreed that players deserve to be paid more, but was adamant that there was a right and wrong way to go about negotiations.

?Sometimes we need to realise why our game is so great and why we as footballers are so privileged to be able to get paid well,? he said.

?We get sponsored and training gear and given other freebies. We get given all this stuff because of the support we are given by the community, our fans and supporters.

?If they don?t support us, Rugby League isn?t the product it is today. Rugby League is a product people want to be involved in. The fans and the community hold the real power, without them, there is no game.

?Ultimately, strike action hurts our fans and I don?t think that the players should do that.?

The Harvey Norman Rugby League All Stars concept has helped raise almost $5 million for NRL community programs in its first three years, with the ARLC hoping to increase the initiatives it supports next year.

Campbell has seen the effects in the community first-hand and is very humbled to have played a part in the life changing programs that have been created from his initial idea.

?The power of Rugby League should not be underestimated,? he said.

?People see players going into schools and in the community, and when they see that we are there not looking for talent, but looking to help encourage the kids especially in their later schooling years and the first few years out of school, they are really surprised.

?I?m very proud what the All Stars concept has done in the communities. It is an important game, but Rugby League is more than just a game, our players inspire people every week. But to have a game that is specifically for the betterment of other people, I think it is very important.

?There are probably a few players who don?t fully understand the concept and just play in it because it is an awesome game with the best players in the NRL, that is a benefit in itself that we can bring these people together, but the main theme of All Stars is giving back to the community.

?We have achieved so many great things already and I?m really looking forward to seeing what else is possible through Rugby League.?

Source: http://www.NRL.com
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

I should really start now and collect the Indigenous jerseys, they are always interesting and attractive.

That's a horrible NRL All Stars jersey. I'm not a big fan of the indigenous jersey or any NRL club's indigenous jersey with the exception of Preston Campbell's Titans design.

NRL All Stars boycott unlikely: Gallen

Steve Jancetic AAP Tue, Dec 11, 2012 - 1:05 PM

NSW and Cronulla captain Paul Gallen claims talk of a strike is premature in the players' quest for a greater slice of the NRL money pie.

Gallen, preparing for a charity boxing bout in New Zealand on Saturday night, said he didn't believe the players and the NRL were too far apart as negotiations continue for a salary cap increase.

With ARL Commission chairman John Grant desperate to limit a cap increase in a bid to preserve money in a future fund, speculation has arisen that players could boycott next year's All Stars game if their demands are not met.

But Gallen denied that option was under serious consideration.

"There's no way in the world players want that," Gallen said.

"We love the fans, it's a blue-collar game and the fans love us because we get out there and we put our body on the line every single week.

"We certainly don't want to get to that stage. There certainly hasn't been talk about that."

Gallen was confident the resolution could soon be found in talks for a new collective bargaining agreement.

"I think both sides are working hard to get something done," he said.

"I don't think we are too far apart and every meeting I've been to, they've been more productive.

"It's certainly not a stand-off ... certainly no rush to get it done."
    #itaintweaktospeak

The idea of boycotting this game makes me sick. Reminds me of Super League mentality. I want more money for our players, but priority on the ones who aren't earning as much.

Looks like the only ones pushing match boycotts is the media.

Anyone going up? I'm tossing up between this and Titans trial. Haven't got tickets yet though.

Albert Kelly added to the mix..

Bird, Idris set for Indigenous All Stars

iSelect Gold Coast Titans duo Greg Bird and Jamal Idris are among the leading contenders for the Indigenous All Stars with less than a week to go before voting closes.

Bird and Idris are both listed in the top 10 polling players for the Indigenous All Stars side, while new recruit David Taylor is the top-polling Titans representative ahead of Nate Myles for the NRL All Stars side.

Fans have less than a week to play selector for the 2013 Harvey Norman Rugby League All Stars with voting for both the NRL and Indigenous All Stars teams closing next Monday (January 14).

Almost 16,000 fans have already registered their selections at www.nrl.com/allstars for the 16 prized public-chosen spots in the 20-man squads for both teams for the fourth annual All Stars match to be played at Brisbane?s Suncorp Stadium on February 9.

Only one player from each club is eligible for Wayne Bennett?s NRL All Stars, while fans can choose from all of Rugby League?s best Indigenous talent for Laurie Daley?s Indigenous All Stars. The final squads will be announced in Brisbane on January 16.

?It is a really unique opportunity for the fans to get to decide who they want to see playing in this match, but there is only a few days left to get in and make their vote count ,? Daley said.

Top 10 in overall votes so far:

INDIGENOUS ALL STARS
    1 - Greg Inglis - Rabbitohs
    2 - Greg Bird - Titans
    3 - Ben Barba - Bulldogs
    4 - Tom Learoyd-Lahrs - Raiders
    5 - Jamal Idris - Titans
    6 - George Rose - Sea Eagles
    7 - Andrew Fifita - Sharks
    8 - Justin Hodges - Broncos
    9 - Nathan Merritt - Rabbitohs
    10 - Joel Thompson - Raiders

NRL ALL STARS
    1 - Jarryd Hayne - Eels
    2 - James Tamou - Cowboys
    3 - Brett Morris - Dragons
    4 - Paul Gallen - Sharks
    5 - Akuila Uate - Knights
    6 - Billy Slater - Storm
    7 - Michael Jennings - Panthers
    8 - Josh Morris - Bulldogs
    9 - David Taylor - Titans
    10 - Adam Reynolds - Rabbitohs

Following the closing of the public online voting on January 14, both coaches will be able to select additional bench players to complement the 16-man teams chosen by the public to make up a 20-man squad.

Bennett will select two extra players alongside automatic selections Benji Marshall (New Zealand captain) and Cameron Smith (Australian captain); while Daley will pick three extra players in addition to automatic selection and Indigenous All Stars captain Johnathan Thurston.

2013 Harvey Norman Rugby League All Stars Ticket Categories and Prices
    Tickets for the 2013 Harvey Norman All Stars match are available through Ticketek outlets, on 132 849 or www.ticketek.com.au. New Zealand customers can call 0800 842 538 or +61 132 849.

Categories Cat 1 Cat 2 Cat 3
    Adult $90.00 $50.00 $20.00
    Pensioner (Aged, War, TPI, Invalid & Disability) $80.00 $45.00 $18.00
    Junior $70.00 $40.00 $16.00
    Family (2A+2J) $265.00 $150.00 $60.00

The Harvey Norman Rugby League All Stars is supported by Events Queensland as part of a growing calendar of sporting, cultural, regional and business events across Queensland.

http://www.titans.com.au

Must admit I'm not happy that its on the same night as first trial match but would never miss these games. Still not happy about Suncorp bit will create more revenue for indigenous programs.
    Luckily I will be at Redcliffe for Broncos trial and going to Mackay for Cowboys trial.

First Grader Sydney Titans Fanatic's Avatar

unfortuantly it has always been on the day of one of our trials... Im pretty sure id choose all stars game and i have another 28 titans games through out the year i can go to

HAVE YOU VOTED?: Less than 100 votes separate Gold Coast Titans players Nate Myles & Dave Taylor in NRL All Stars voting. Who would you like to see get selected?

Who is in your team? Vote today at http://bit.ly/OZDzJ5

Billy Slater out of NRL All Stars match, replaced by Justin O'Neill

SITTING out All Stars game: Billy Slater in action Picture: Colleen Petch Source: Herald Sun

AUSTRALIAN, Queensland and Storm superstar Billy Slater has been ruled out of the NRL All Stars side because of ankle and shoulder injuries.

He is replaced by Melbourne young gun Justin O?Neill for the fourth annual clash against the Indigenous All Stars at Suncorp Stadium on February 9.

Slater's pre-season training has been hampered since aggravating an ankle injury and due to the removal of a plate in his shoulder from an injury sustained in the 2011 Four Nations Tour.

It's believed his withdrawal is not related to a PCL injury in his knee, which cut short his Origin campaign.

Slater went on to carry the injury right through the back end of the season, but still starred in Melbourne?s surge to the 2012 title.

Slater will continue on a modified program with the goal of being fit for the club?s World Club Challenge match on February 22 against Leeds Rhinos.

"It's disappointing Billy won?t be able to play, but I'm excited and honoured to be part of the NRL All Stars team and I?m looking forward to playing with and against some of the best players in the competition," O?Neill said.

"I have family living in Brisbane so it will be very special to play my first representative game in front of them."

Source: http://www.couriermail.com.au

All of these withdrawals is really dinting the All Stars.

I know some of it is unavoidable being so early in the season. And I guess I certainly do buy Slater and Gallen being injured.