Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Remarkable league journey for Guk Riec
    http://www.qrl.com.au

You might have heard some of the story behind the remarkable life of Valleys Diehards fullback Guk Riec, but you haven't heard the full story.

Riec's journey from war torn Sudan to being an African United star playing in the Rugby League Brisbane competition is one of the most incredible stories you're likely to hear.

Born in the Upper Nile Village of Reng in South Sudan, Riec comes from a close and loving family - but has endured some immensely tough times. Not long after he was born, the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) passed through the Nile Village, sparking a war with the Sudanese People's Liberation Army.

This is where a young Riec's life would change forever. At just one month old, his mother Elizabeth was alerted to gunshots that were raining out over their village where the fighting had started.

Holding her young baby as tight as she could, the terrified mother grabbed her newborn baby Guk and his four older brothers and fled; seeking refuge in snake infested waters for the frightening days that lay ahead.

Tired, hungry and disorientated, by pure luck, Elizabeth, baby Guk and his brothers finally made it to a checkpoint where they would eventually be admitted to Egypt as refugees. Egypt would prove to be the safety and stability the Riec's needed in order to survive.

"I owe everything to my mother," Riec explained emotionally. "My mother, my aunty, everybody who has helped myself and my brothers I will remember that.

"My mother is a truly amazing woman for what she has done to look after my brothers and I, from working long hours as a cleaner to rescuing me from the war in Sudan."

Riec's father was arrested and placed in jail by the Sudanese Government for allegedly working for the Sudanese People's Liberation Army. In fact, he was actually aiding the rebel forces fighting for equality amongst the people.

After a few years in Egypt, Riec would be on the move again, this time being granted a refugee visa to live in Toowoomba in 2002, where Gak's aunt Sisilia was residing.

It was in Toowoomba where Riec was introduced to rugby league through one of his teachers at St Joseph's College, Scott Edwards, who saw potential in the young Sudanese boy.

Taking to the game like a duck to water, Riec would make inroads and headlines with his footballing ability, so much so he was handed a trial and pre-season with the Norths Devils.

Sadly, one of Riec's older brothers was diagnosed with inoperable bone cancer and passed away not long after his diagnosis, a pain that is still fresh in his heart.

"My brother was a gifted rugby league and union player and he was a hero of mine," Riec said. "In my eyes, he could do anything, and I looked up to him."

Still at just 21-years of age, Riec moved to the Valleys Diehards and after a couple of eye catching performances for the men in royal blue and white, it was evident that he was destined for bigger and better things.

Riec has also further increased his skill level and fitness by being selected to play for the Australian Catholic University (ACU) team at Banyo campus.

His ability to perform at each new level he has experienced culminated with his selection in the 2017 African United side that played in the emerging Nations Cup in Sydney, suiting up alongside current Redcliffe Dolphin and countryman Obed Karwhin.

"That was probably the best time of my life being selected for Africa United," he said. "I was so proud singing the national anthem and being able to represent my country.

"I just wanted to make my Mum and my community proud and show them what I have achieved for the life she has given me in Australia.

"I just want to make the Sudanese and African people are proud of me. Hopefully, I can also become an African Rugby League ambassador for other Africans who want to play rugby league."

With players like Riec working towards their goals with the big smile on their face and the determination to never give up on their dreams; the future of African Rugby League is in good hands.

* Mike Simpson is a QRL correspondent who covers Rugby League Brisbane
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Come on down to Valleys on Saturday for the official launch of the Return Of The Diehards film. Function starts at 12.30pm then catch the BRL team take on Easts. In stock now. Order your DVD today here - https://www.aobmedia.com.au/product-...comeback-story

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

A little something for the BRL boys and girls.

88 Valleys Reunion Rd 2018

Last edited by DIEHARD; 16-03-19 at 02:44 PM.

Proud of the Diehards season, going down in the very end in a Grand Final to Wynnum.

Highlights https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2019/09/...al-highlights/

New womens senior team going strong

Next weekend is going to be fun. Diehards in two Grand Finals!

Quote Originally Posted by Valleys Diehards
    The mighty BOQ Stafford Valleys Diehards are through to the BRL Grand Finals in both A-Grade and Reserve Grade after commanding wins today against Normanby. Congratulations to all involved! Thank you to the Normanby Hounds RLFC on a fantastic season. Up the Diehards!

Normanby used to be one of the most fearsome outfits 1/2 a century ago … lol.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Brisbane A Grade Grand Final on now.

Diehards vs Wests Panthers

Watch here if you are thirsty for a game.

https://www.facebook.com/BrisbaneRug...03862843885740

Lucky win Brad … Panthers pipped 18-20
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Lucky win Brad … Panthers pipped 18-20
    Wests were the better team throughout the match. But the Diehards never say die. I was so happy to win in the dying seconds.

Even better for it to come after the Reserve Grade side winning as well! Double Premiers!

Oh I'd give anything to be at Emerson Park right now celebrating!

Up the Diehards!