Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 2013 NRL Trial Matches

LIST TO BE COMPILED HERE.

Gold Coast Titans vs New Zealand Warriors @ Pizzey Park, Gold Coast on Saturday February 9

New Zealand Warriors vs Brisbane Broncos @ Forsyth Barr Stadium on Saturday February 23
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 18-10-12 at 06:59 PM.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

League: NRL gets chance to shine at stadium

Step aside Ma'a Nonu, get out of the way Brad Thorn, the NRL is coming to Dunedin and it is going to go "gangbusters".

The region's long-suffering rugby league fans will finally get an opportunity to watch the Warriors and Brisbane Broncos live.

The NRL teams will play a warm-up match at the Forsyth Barr Stadium on February 23.

It will be the first time NRL teams have played a game in Dunedin and it is something novel for a city better known for rugby union.

Dunedin Venues Management Ltd commercial director Guy Hedderwick certainly believes the city is on to a winner.

"There is always interest in these one-off events and the research we've done tells us rugby league resonates well with people," he said.

"There is a good crossover and interest value from rugby union followers and I'm pretty sure it is going to go gangbusters."

If the event does go as well as he hopes, then there is every possibility the NRL will make a return trip.

"We've got to make a success of this one first, and given it is the first one in the city we probably will. Two great teams are coming as well. The Warriors are a huge brand in New Zealand and the Broncos are probably Australia's biggest rugby league brand."

The Warriors have played games in Christchurch and on the West Coast, but it will be the first time the Broncos have visited the South Island.

"This is a terrific opportunity to not only play in the impressive Forsyth Barr Stadium, but also to bring two NRL teams and some of the game's best players to Dunedin to create some history," Warriors general manager football operations Dean Bell said in a press release.

"We're really looking forward to this visit and the chance to connect with fans in the South. It will also be a vital trial for both teams just ahead of the 2013 season."

Brisbane's general manager of marketing and commercial operations Terry Reader said it was a great opportunity to promote the game in the South Island and to reach a new fan base.

"We know we have thousands of fans across the Tasman and, while those around Auckland get a chance to see us play every year, this will be an exciting opportunity for those in the South Island.

"It will be a special event at a unique stadium. We can't thank the Warriors and especially the management of Dunedin Venues enough. Their willingness to work to make this event happen has been a real breath of fresh air."

The Warriors are expected to field a strong side which may feature new signings Thomas Leuluai, Dane Nielsen and Todd Lowrie playing alongside regulars Simon Mannering, Manu Vatuvei and Nathan Friend.

There is the possibility the match will be broadcast on SKY Sport in New Zealand and Fox Sports in Australia.

http://www.odt.co.nz/sport/league/

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Love the innovative idea televised trials. We are all hungry for footy and have to be envious of the AFL's NAB Cup.

I'd love to see heaps more games televised.

- Back to Redfern.
    - Charity Shield
    - World Club Challenge
    - Back to Belmore
    - etc

It would be great if the Titans had a flagship trial. I know we nearly always play the Broncos, so perhaps something could be built around that.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Love the innovative idea televised trials. We are all hungry for footy and have to be envious of the AFL's NAB Cup.

I'd love to see heaps more games televised.

- Back to Redfern.
    - Charity Shield
    - World Club Challenge
    - Back to Belmore
    - etc

It would be great if the Titans had a flagship trial. I know we nearly always play the Broncos, so perhaps something could be built around that.
    All trial matches should be played at regional grounds to give the "Country" people a chance to watch the game live & there will always be the Diehard & TitanPete's that will always travel to watch a game of footy

Televised trials will be awesome , will give people the chance to watch a lot of 2nd tier players get a shot in the top grade
    #itaintweaktospeak

Broncos 2013 Trial Dates Locked In

THE NRMA Insurance Broncos have locked in their official trial opponents and dates for the 2013 NRL pre-season.

The Broncos will meet the Titans, Cowboys and Warriors in three pre-season matches as they fine tune for a 2013 premiership assault.

The first of the official trials will take place on Saturday, February 16 against the Titans at Redcliffe's Dolphin Oval.

The final game before the season kicks off will be a unique blockbuster in Dunedin's fully-enclosed Forsyth Barr Stadium on the South Island of New Zealand.

Tickets are on sale for the February 23 match through www.ticketdirect.co.nz, with the Broncos expecting thousands of their Kiwi-based fans to attend.

The Broncos have over 20,000 Facebook fans in New Zealand.
    This match will provide a different atmosphere with the unique Forsyth Barr Stadium, which has a transparent roof.

The Broncos' first trial match of next year will happen against the NQ Cowboys on February 9 in Mount Isa.

Source: http://www.broncos.com.au

Saturday February 2nd

Melbourne Storm v Easts Tigers (QRL); Gosch's Paddock, Melbourne; Kick off: 6:00PM
    Parramatta Eels v Newcastle Knights; Bellevue Oval, University of New England, Armidale; Kick off: 5:00PM

Friday February 8th

Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks v Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles; Brookvale Oval; Time TBC
    Wests Tigers v Penrith Panthers; Carrington Park, Bathurst; Time TBC

Melbourne Storm v Canberra Raiders; Simmonds Stadium, Geelong; Time TBC

Saturday February 9th

South Sydney Rabbitohs v PNG Kumuls; Australian Technology Park, Redfern; Kick off: 6:00PM.
    Gold Coast Titans v Warriors; Pizzey Park, Miami, Gold Coast; Time TBC
    North Queensland Cowboys v Brisbane Broncos; Alec Inch Oval, Mt. Isa; Time TBC

Sunday February 10th - Back to Belmore

Canterbury Bulldogs v Newtown Jets; Belmore Sports Ground; Time TBC

Saturday February 16th

South Sydney Rabbitohs v Newcastle Knights; BCU International Stadium, Coffs Harbour; Time TBC
    Warriors v Penrith Panthers; Waikato Stadium, Hamilton, New Zealand; Time TBC
    North Queensland Cowboys v St George Illawarra Dragons; Barlow Park, Cairns; Time TBC
    Brisbane Broncos v Gold Coast Titans; Dolphins Oval, Redcliffe; Kick off: 7:45PM - Tickets & More Info
    Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles v Sydney Roosters; Bluetongue Stadium, Gosford; Time TBC

Friday February 22nd - Charity Shield

South Sydney Rabbitohs v St George Illawarra Dragons; ANZ Stadium, Sydney Olympic Park; Time TBC (Fox Sports TBC)

2013 World Club Challenge
    Leeds Rhinos v Melbourne Storm; Headingley Stadium, Leeds, England.
    Kick off: Friday, February 22nd, 8:00PM (GMT); Saturday, February 23rd, 7:00AM (ADST)

Saturday February 23rd

Warriors v Brisbane Broncos; Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin; Kick off: 5:30PM
    Newcastle Knights v Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks; Wests Scully Park, Tamworth; Kick off: 7:30PM
    North Queensland Cowboys v Gold Coast Titans; Virgin Australia Stadium, Mackay; Time TBC
    Sydney Roosters v Wests Tigers; Allianz Stadium, Moore Park; Time TBC. (Foundation Cup)

Awesome list.

I have been saying for over 6 years, that the clubs should be able to televise there own trial games on there website for there members.
    This would help sales, and cost SFA
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    I have been saying for over 6 years, that the clubs should be able to televise there own trial games on there website for there members.
    This would help sales, and cost SFA
    Absolutely, if the NRL arent interested let the clubs do what American sports teams have been doing for years. Id have loved to have watched all the trial games over the years.

Still a few more trials to confirm.

The Cowboys' pre-season trial against the Broncos in Mt Isa is a sellout.

Default Storm Cruise Through Trial Win

High-flying Melbourne winger Matt Duffie suffered an injury scare in his first game back after shoulder surgery as the Storm cruised to a 28-4 win over Queensland Cup side Brisbane Easts in their NRL trial.

Duffie, one of only a handful of their regular starters to line up for the pre-season match, suffered a corked thigh just a minute before halftime at their Melbourne training ground.

He limped from the field and had ice strapped to his leg although he later said the injury was just a "bruise".

Kiwi-born Duffie was making his first appearance since undergoing a shoulder reconstruction just before the finals which ruled him out of Melbourne's charge to the NRL title.

Starting at fullback, he looked sharp with a couple of good runs and scored a try when moved to the wing for the second quarter.

"I felt good," said the 22-year-old, who asked coach Craig Bellamy if he could play.

"I was obviously blowing a bit ... I haven't played since July.

"My runs were fine and it was good to get back out there."

Duffie has added three kilograms to his wiry frame to try to bulk up after two shoulder operations.

"Ever since I've started playing it's been a focus because I've always been pretty slender compared to everyone else," he said.

Halfback Brett Finch, returning to the Storm for a second stint after a season with Super League club Wigan, captained the team while first choice backs Sisa Waqa, Mahe Fonua had a run.

Former Knight Junior Sa'u played the second half and grabbed a try.

They were watched by teammates including captain Cameron Smith and fellow stars Billy Slater and Cooper Cronk.

Melbourne secondrower Tohu Harris opened the scoring in the third minute and the home side were out to 12-4 at the main break, with neither side kicking conversions.

For the final two quarters Bellamy took off most of his first grade contenders, filling the positions with National Youth Cup players.

Finch said he thought the team played well in a seven-try effort, given it was their first hit-out.

"It's always nice to have a gallop after such a long pre-season," he said.

"There were obviously a few mistakes there but I think the coach would be pretty happy.

"There were a lot of young fellas and they played really good."

The Storm play Canberra in Geelong on Friday night in their last trial before flying to the UK for their World Club Challenge against Leeds on Feb 23.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Default Eels improve Defence in Trial Win

New Parramatta coach Ricky Stuart has demanded his troops get physical in defence this season and the young Eels made an encouraging start in a 46-10 NRL trial win over an inexperienced Newcastle in Armidale on Saturday night.

The Eels were the worst defensive team in the league last year and slumped to the wooden spoon.

But Stuart is determined to turn things around and has spent the pre-season trying to put a sting into Parramatta's tackling efforts.

Eels captaincy candidate Reni Maitua scored a try and played strongly in the comfortable victory in front of 5023 fans, while exciting lock forward prospect Ken Edwards put his hand up for a first grade spot by bagging a double and collecting the man-of-the-match award.

Utility forward Taulima Tautai was the pick of Parramatta's NRL talent playing at prop and Luke Kelly did well with his audition in the five-eighth jersey.

Kelly set up a couple of tries, as he looks to partner Chris Sandow in the halves to start the year.

Another to stand out for Stuart, was his hooker Nathan Smith - who is vying with Matt Keating to start the year in the No.9 shirt.

Smith said Stuart has instructed his players to go hard at each other at training and believes the emphasis on defence paid off in the opening trial.

"Everything we've been doing is really physical and technique based and we've been getting stuck into each other at training," Smith told AAP.

"Last year we were a bit poor in that aspect and we needed to really get our bodies in front and dominate the ruck and the edges.

"We really needed to dominate the whole game defensively and I think we did that.

"It's only very early, the first trial - but the things we didn't get right last year seem to be fixing themselves and we're on the right track."

Smith and the Eels' NRL talent played about 50 minutes, before Stuart injected some of his fringe players and younger talent.

Parramatta led 26-0 at halftime and were up 36-0 when the big names left the field.

Fullback Peter Mata'utia was the only Newcastle player with NRL experience, but the rookies snuck in for two late consolation tries.

Smith believes he's put himself in a good position to push Keating for a starting berth come round one.

"I thought my games at the back end of last year were pretty good too. If I'm not No.9 I'd love to be 14 (on the bench), and just make my way through the year into the side."

The Eels were minus stars like Sandow, Jarryd Hayne and Willie Tonga.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Hope Eels do well this year.
    2013 - Sezer's breakout year