Thread: Cairns

Default Cairns

going up there to get away n get some sun for about 5 days. Going to check out the great barrier reef but other then that have no real plans. can people suggest things to do/see?
    thanks!

I'd take a trip up the scenic railway to Kuranda. Then you could take the skyway back. If you have a car you could head up to the Daintree and do some crocodile spotting.

Both those trips that Cowboy Titan has mentioned comes highly recommended. Though if you have a car, and you don't mind a 400klm round trip. You could head out to see the Chillagoe Caves and Old Smelter. I'm not suggesting to pay for the tour on that site, but if you drive yourself and can book with the Rangers to show you through, you save some dollars.

Also, if you have a car, you could drive down to either Mission or Kurrimine Beaches one afternoon, stay overnight. Then the next morning, take a drive out through to Paronella Park, then head up the range to Atherton Tablelands and check out the Windmill Farm near Ravenshoe. Then head over to Tinaroo Dam, maybe stop in at Crater Lakes National Park. Then make your way back through Atherton, shoot through Mareeba, and eventually make your way to Mount Molloy and Julatten. Julatten is where they coined the term 'God's Country' (imo). Great for Birdwatching (feathered variety) and Rainforests. The drive back down the range is really picturesque.

It may not be your cup of tea. But just putting some ideas out there that you may want to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Both those trips that Cowboy Titan has mentioned comes highly recommended. Though if you have a car, and you don't mind a 400klm round trip. You could head out to see the Chillagoe Caves and Old Smelter. I'm not suggesting to pay for the tour on that site, but if you drive yourself and can book with the Rangers to show you through, you save some dollars.

Also, if you have a car, you could drive down to either Mission or Kurrimine Beaches one afternoon, stay overnight. Then the next morning, take a drive out through to Paronella Park, then head up the range to Atherton Tablelands and check out the Windmill Farm near Ravenshoe. Then head over to Tinaroo Dam, maybe stop in at Crater Lakes National Park. Then make your way back through Atherton, shoot through Mareeba, and eventually make your way to Mount Molloy and Julatten. Julatten is where they coined the term 'God's Country' (imo). Great for Birdwatching (feathered variety) and Rainforests. The drive back down the range is really picturesque.

It may not be your cup of tea. But just putting some ideas out there that you may want to consider.
    Geez Toads. The blokes only going for 5 days....not 5 weeks..

I guess you know the region well. The wife and I love it up there. Still not sure where we end up. We just make sure we have the golf clubs in the hire car and take off. Been up there the last 4 years but didn't go this year, chose to spend a week in Melbourne instead. Cairns v Melbourne...let me think about it.. Hmm...won't be the same choice next year. I hate the cold!!

Hehe yeah, I suppose. Not knowing what patskE is interested in seeing, I thought I'd throw a few ideas out there. No doubt they'll keep themselves amused while they're up there. But yeah, I do know the area reasonably well..

Hmm, Melbourne vs. Cairns for winter escape. I think I'd know which option I'd choose.
    Last edited by Toads; 14-09-12 at 08:51 AM.