Default 'Biggest daschund' to lose puppy fat

'Biggest daschund' to lose puppy fat

OBIE, a five-year-old, 35kg daschund whose owners loved him almost to death, is on a diet and exercise regimen to try to lose weight.

Portland resident and dog-lover Nora Vanatta first heard of Obie when a relative of the dog's previous owners asked for help, Ms Vanatta explained on a Facebook page.

"Ageing owners with failing health were simply loving him with food," she said. "They just couldn't say no to those big brown eyes."

Ms Vanatta said she had no idea what to expect, and was astonished when the obese daschund arrived.

"He is extremely sweet and loving and is a joy to work with," she said.

Ms Vanatta, who has a degree in animal science and worked for eight years as a vet, knew what to do.

Obie (renamed from his previous monicker AJ) was put on a special diet to lose about half his body weight. Once he trims down a bit he will begin swim therapy and go on the treadmill - he may also need to have his excess skin surgically removed.

Though Obie's teeth are bad, the good news is that a trip to the vet confirmed his blood appears to be normal, giving hope for a long and happy future.

"My hope is that he can be an inspiration to any person or animal trying to lose weight," Ms Vanatta said. "It is so important to introduce pups and kids to a healthy lifestyle."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Poor lil guy. Hope he gets healthier. It must have a tremendous toll on his health.

A good reason why the Guniness Book of Records no longer does fattest animals.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Poor bugga, I too hope they eventually get Obie into better nick. I'd imagine he can't get around by himself, at the moment?

LOL i thought this was a dig at Jamal
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

First Grader Sydney Titans Fanatic's Avatar

Haha that looks like somebody i use to date
    Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    A good reason why the Guniness Book of Records no longer does fattest animals.

I had the perfect candiate for this world record...The one thing me and Diehard both Despise of haha

Quote Originally Posted by Travelling Titan View Post
    Haha that looks like somebody i use to date

I had the perfect candiate for this world record...The one thing me and Diehard both Despise of haha
    Haha I get it... you arent wrong.

Obese dachshund Obie, once 35kg, loses impressive 23kg after year of diet, treadmill and cosmetic surgery

Formerly-obese sausage dog Obie, who became a viral hit, has shed around 23 kg after a year of strict diet and exercise. Picture: Facebook Obie Dog Journey Source: Facebook

A MORBIDLY obese dachshund who once tipped the scales at 35 kilograms has lost 23 kilograms after a year of dieting and exercise Obie, who lives in Portland, Oregon is showing off his healthy makeover thanks to his new owner Nora Vanatta.

The five-year-old dog became an internet sensation last year when photos of him looking sad and lying on his back, with his massive belly chaffed from dragging on the ground went viral.

Ms Vanatta, who has a degree in animal science and works as a veterinary technician, was forced to develop a special harness to keep Obie's swollen stomach from touching the ground as he struggled to walk.

Obie previously was owned by an elderly couple with poor health who overfed him, while keeping him indoors with almost no exercise.

“The aging owners with failing health were simply loving him with food. They just couldn’t say “no” to those big brown eyes” Ms Vanatta wrote on his Facebook page.

“But we are thrilled to be able to help him, and now moving on with his new life.”
    Obie dog who lost 23kg

Obie enjoys a day at the beach after his healthy makeover. Picture: Facebook

After adopting Obie, Ms Vanatta immediately put the portly pooch on a strict diet that saw him shed an impressive 18 pounds initially.

Because of his obesity, Obie had difficulty walking at first, but eventually incorporated walking on a treadmill and water therapy into his exercise regime. Now, he enjoys running and playing on the beach and hikes in the words like any other dog.

“He is extremely sweet and loving. He was obviously loved and is a joy to work with,” Ms Vanatta said.

Obie then underwent plastic surgery, with vets removing kilograms of loose skin from his belly.

His fitness regime was documented on his Facebook page One Dog Journey, which has 117,000 followers cheering him on.

Obie dog who lost 23kg

Obie at the beach in October, 2012. His owner had to fashion this special harness to keep his belly from dragging on the ground and chaffing him. Picture: Facebook Obie Dog Journey

“My hope is that he can be an inspiration to any person or animal trying to lose weight,” Ms Vanatta said. “It is so important to introduce pups and kids to a healthy lifestyle and food choices as early as possible. Prevention is the key!”

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/hom...-1226738682612