First Grader Sydney Titans Fanatic's Avatar

Default RL player to be tested after heart attack

http://www.nrl.com/rl-player-to-be-t...4/default.aspx

Australian rugby league player Adrian Purtell will see a sports cardiologist in London on Wednesday to undergo tests which could determine whether he is able to save his playing career.

The 27-year-old Bradford utility has not played since suffering a heart attack in the aftermath of the Magic Weekend defeat by Leeds in May.

"I'll have an ECG and other stress tests to see how my heart responds, get the results and then talk things through with the club doctor and (coach) Mick (Potter)," Purtell told the Bradford Telegraph and Argus.

"Health-wise, I'm feeling pretty good but I'll take all the information on board after I've got the results and make a decision from there."

Purtell, who joined the Bulls from Penrith at the start of the season, will also be anxiously awaiting a decision on whether the club will be allowed to continue in Super League or be relegated to the Championship after changing the ownership.

The transfer of ownership to Omar Khan's OK Bulls Limited is expected to be completed this week but it could be another week before Bradford find out if their will keep their Super League licence.

Purtell added: "I signed a three-year deal with the Bulls and was planning on staying for those three years if not longer because I've loved it here.

"I've done this job since I was 17 when I joined Canberra Raiders - experiencing the awesome environment of game day and hanging about with your best mates every day in the week.

"It would be great to get out on the field again but my health is the most important thing.

"I don't think I'd take it too good if I wasn't able to play again but I'm living and I've got to be grateful for that."

We cant underestimate the impact of rugby league on the human body, it pushes it to the limit and sadly players have suffered and some the ultimate price.

I hope that Adrian is going to be ok.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Just finished reading Handmarsh's book ... hardly rivetting but interesting on his attitude to the pain barrier and certainly chewed up a chunk of a 12 hour flight.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.