Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default David Smith - ARL Commission CEO

The search is on.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Dear Staff, Members, Corporate Partners and Supporters of the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs

I write this letter on behalf of the Board of Directors to address ongoing media speculation regarding our Football Club’s Chief Executive Officer Todd Greenberg and his rumoured departure to take on the ARLC Chief Executive role.

Let me state from the outset that Todd has done a wonderful job as our CEO since joining us back in 2008. He is highly regarded by all of us at the Bulldogs and has developed strong and meaningful relationships with a range of stakeholders including our directors, players and staff.

It is not surprising that his name has been mentioned as a future leader of the game and we understand that quality people will often be considered for a higher calling.

In my discussions with Todd over recent days it became clear that despite his own professional ambitions, he also feels that our journey together at the Bulldogs is not yet complete.

With that in mind, Todd has asked me to confirm to all of our members, supporters and corporate partners that he will not be leaving the Bulldogs and will continue in his role as our CEO.

I am delighted that Todd has committed himself to the Bulldogs Football Club and together with Head Coach Des Hasler I am confident we have a very strong platform for a sustainable and successful future both on and off the field.

Hard work continues behind the scenes to ensure our Club is well positioned heading toward the finals and I am delighted with the progress our Club has made over the last 12 months. There is significantly more work in front of us all and I urge you to get out to our game tonight against the Tigers and show your support for the team.

In closing, thank you for your support of the Bulldogs Football Club and I look forward to seeing you at a game in the coming weeks.
    Yours Sincerely

Ray Dib
    Chairman – Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

http://www.triplem.com.au/

NRL To Poach AFL Heavy Hitter Gillon McLachlan?

The NRL is pulling out all the stops to poach the AFL's number two man, Gillon McLachlan, Triple M Damian Barrett said on Channel Nine's The Footy Show on Thursday.

"Our information, and it's come from Sydney (and) it's strong, is if he wanted the job it's his, it's as simple as that," Barrett said.

"From an NRL point of view, if they are able to pull something like off, that could be a real body blow to the AFL," co-host and Triple M Footy commentator Garry Lyon added.

The ARLC have asked recruitment company Spencer Stuart to headhunt potential candidates to fill the shoes of David Gallop who stood down earlier in the season.

The list, which is rumoured to include New Zealand Rugby League CEO Jim Doyle, Racing NSW boss Peter V'Landys and and Canterbury Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg, will be whittled down to six before the final announcement is made, reportedly by mid-August.

The successful candidate will reportedly receive a package worth around $750,000 a year.

Poaching the AFL bloke would be a mistake. Buckley has been a failure at the FFA and Im sure this guy will return to the AFL fold eventually with suitcases full of our Rugby League corporate knowledge.

NRL out to poach AFL's No. 2 man Gillon McLachlan to replace David Gallop as NRL CEO

THE NRL are trying to poach the AFL's No. 2 man Gillon McLachlan.

It is understood the committee established by the NRL's newly formed independent commission have made contact with McLachlan about switching codes to serve as the new CEO of the NRL.

David Gallop was sacked as CEO in June following a falling out with ARLC chairman John Grant.

AFL CEO Andrew Demetriou said he did not want to lose McLachlan but was not surprised the rival code had made a play for his highly regarded deputy.

The NRL job might appeal to McLachlan who is ambitious and had seen himself as Demetriou's successor.

And Demtriou's recent claims that he intended to continue in the role may have convinced McLachlan to pursue other opportunities.

Demetriou said today McLachlan was in Sydney yesterday to meet with media partners, not the AFL's biggest rival.

"I don't know (if he is going), I hope not," Demetriou said on 3AW.

"It would be surprising to me if someone hadn't spoken to him, or hadn't approached him because he is a very talented.

"He is a very dedicated AFL person, loves the game and has been a great servant to myself and the game for 12 years.

"I hope he sticks around - absolutely (we would fight to keep him)."

But Demetriou also said he had no plans to step down and pass the batton to McLachlan in the near future.

"My future as far as AFL football is pretty much certain," Demetriou said.

"I have committed myself, I have got unfinished business and I made that statement before I left.

"(I want to stay) indefinitely, because I look forward to the challenges ahead.

"We have got 18 clubs, we want to have 18 sustainable, profitable football clubs.

"There are a lot of challenges going forward - and that is a good thing that they are ambitious."

http://www.couriermail.com.au

Departing Doyle denies Aussie link

Departing New Zealand Rugby League chief executive Jim Doyle has ruled out a move to become the chief executive of the Australian Rugby League Commission, despite rumours linking him with the position.

Doyle has been the NZRL boss since August 2009, and has revamped it into one of the country's most pro-active organisations.

He announced yesterday that he would be leaving the NZRL at the end of the year, but said a spot on the ARL Commission, which was formed at the beginning of the year, would not be the destination.

"I've seen that been linked a few times over the previous few months, but definitely not," Doyle said. "I don't intend to be moving permanently to Australia."

The commission recently announced a new A$1 billion television deal, which delivers an instant A$90 million injection to the NRL.

Reports are that the competition's salary cap will increase, while clubs will receive a A$500,000 payment immediately.

Doyle also distanced himself from a potential position at the Warriors, if the shake-up following head coach Brian McClennan's sacking continues in the club's front office.

"At the moment, I have to say the Warriors have got a good CEO in Wayne [Scurrah]," he said. "I've not even given it any thought at all."

Doyle said he was immensely proud of the changes that he had helped implement at the NZRL.

Changing the public's opinion of the sport and its governance was crucial, he said.

"It's not just me, because we've created a really good team here.

"But to be able to bring on new people who want to be part of the organisation, whereas in the past people were distancing themselves from the organisation.

"The brand has improved significantly because of the things we've done. Definitely, I feel really proud of being part of that."

As of last year, New Zealand had 33,152 registered league players, a figure which increased 38 per cent from 2010, and is expected to rise again when figures are next released.

The NZRL has become financially buoyant as well, with a $509,000 surplus in March.

It will begin the search for the next chief executive in coming week, with interviews likely to take place in early October.

Stuff.co.nz

Commission in waiting game for AFL target

AN ANNOUNCEMENT on a new rugby league chief executive is set to be delayed if AFL deputy Gill McLachlan knocks back the job.

The ARL Commission is due to discuss the appointment today but chairman John Grant is understood to have told yesterday's historic NRL Council meeting that unless the commissioners got their No.1 target they would leave interim chief executive Shane Mattiske in the job.

Grant did not name McLachlan but a number of sources have told the Herald he is the first choice for the job and was flown to Sydney two weeks ago for an interview. Mattiske and Racing NSW boss Peter V'landys are believed to be the other candidates.

McLachlan, who is the AFL's chief operating officer, is known to have been making inquiries with contacts in Sydney about the ARLC and what the job would be like.

It is understood the eight commissioners are keen to appoint someone from outside the game but who has experience in sport administration and McLachlan's role as chairman of the AFL's investment committee would also ensure he meets the criteria of having a business background.

However, there are suggestions he has gone cold on the job unless the ARLC match his reported salary of $1.3 million plus bonuses for being Andrew Demetriou's No.2 at the AFL.

Grant told the NRL Council meeting, which was attended by the eight commissioners plus the chief executive and chairman of each club, that the ARLC was happy with the job Mattiske was doing and would not rush into making an appointment.

''It is important that we get the right person in place and that we take whatever time is necessary to be comfortable that we are in that position,'' Grant said.

''This was always going to be a thorough and exacting process and we make no apology for that fact.

''We are delighted with the performance of Shane Mattiske and the management team, and that gives us the time to ensure that whatever step we take is the best one for the future of the game.''

Mattiske has impressed key figures in the game since he took over the job after David Gallop's departure in June and he was yesterday appointed to a powerful sub-committee to develop a funding model for the entire game.

Sydney Roosters chairman Nick Politis, Canterbury chief executive Todd Greenberg, St George Illawarra's Peter Doust and Wests Tigers director David Trodden are the other members of the sub-committee.

''It is an area that we have already done a considerable amount of work on and the clubs were supportive of the process and keen to provide input to that,'' Grant, said. ''The first step is a $500,000 grant to each club upon the signing of the broadcasting agreement in the weeks ahead.

''At the same time we also need to be working on the collective bargaining process to ensure that the players can benefit appropriately from the investment that has been secured in the game's future through the broadcasting agreement announced last week.''

Grant said the NRL Council will meet quarterly and will be made up of the eight commissioners, the ARLC chief executive and one representative, either the chairman or chief executive, of each of the 16 NRL clubs.

The meeting agreed that the charter for the NRL Council would be to ''maintain a regular and quality dialogue at the highest level to share strategies and objectives, matters that might impact or enhance the game, and difficulties and concerns''.

A statement said: ''This dialogue is primarily intended to be strategic in nature ? It is not intended that the NRL Council have any power to make decisions that impinge on the rights or responsibilities of the members.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/l...#ixzz24lQmrfbd

I'd rather not have the AFL 2IC.

I'd rather a Rugby League man.

But there is value in at least having a sport's guy.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    I'd rather not have the AFL 2IC.

I'd rather a Rugby League man.

But there is value in at least having a sport's guy.
    I dont see it being an issue , it is a business in that area for him, not alot to do with the actual game, the commission handles that side of things now.
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

First Grader Sydney Titans Fanatic's Avatar

Its like gallop going to soccer...maybe it wouldnt hurt to have some afl knowledge haha they seem to know how to attract big crowds to every game

Quote Originally Posted by Travelling Titan View Post
    Its like gallop going to soccer...maybe it wouldnt hurt to have some afl knowledge haha they seem to know how to attract big crowds to every game
    Those soccer fans will crucify him if things dont pan out. But I have faith in Gallop to succeed.

The AFL guy may well take rugby league's corporate knowledge back to AFL later but if that's the case if he stole it now he would have nothing to take with him as the cupboard is pretty bare, however, what he would bring now is AFL's government links and their corporate knowledge which would be a pretty good coup, imho.

Plus he is s sports guy plus he does not have petty, hateful rugby league allegiances to weight him down ... I think he would get some noses out of joint and that is about time. Bring him on, if we can get him.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Default ARL Commission CEO

NRL chief executive target Gillon McLachlan turned down approach from EPL giant Liverpool

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-...-1226463272209
    HOME AFL AFL PREMIERSHIP NRL TARGET REJECTED BIG EPL MOVE
    NRL chief executive target Gillon McLachlan turned down approach from EPL giant Liverpool
    By Mark Stevens Sunday Herald Sun September 02, 2012 10:40AM

Dream team ... Andrew Demetriou and Gillon McLachlan. Source: News Limited
    AFL powerbroker Gillon McLachlan knocked back a dream job with Barclays Premier League club Liverpool earlier this season.

In a sign of his growing reputation as a sports administrator, Liverpool offered him the prime chief executive's role.

It is believed the tempting overture came in the opening months of the AFL season.

The NRL has since started a hot pursuit of the AFL's No.2 man.

McLachlan said no to Liverpool, one of the most famous clubs in the world, because he was happily settled in Melbourne with a young family.

It would have been an enormous upheaval to move to northern England.

It is not unusual for club chief executives in the EPL to be paid more than $2 million a year.

McLachlan, the AFL's chief operating officer, also remains content in his role as key lieutenant to chief executive Andrew Demetriou.

But the offer to join the NRL is far more tempting for McLachlan, who has been grappling with the decision in recent days.

The situation remains delicately poised, even though McLachlan said over the weekend: "I'm pretty happy with doing what I'm doing and not in a rush to look at anything, to be honest with you."

McLachlan, whose status soared after spearheading the AFL's successful negotiation of a $1.25 billion broadcast deal, is weighing up a $1 million-plus a year offer to fill the NRL CEO's position vacated by David Gallop.

He is now so highly rated he looms as a near certain successor to Demetriou in the top job at the AFL, but the league boss seems in no hurry to move on.

There is no angst between the pair, who have a smooth working relationship.

"He's got a very big decision to make ... I'm sure that he will make a decision very soon. He has to make a decision for our sake," said Demetriou.

There were also reports on Saturday that Essendon chief executive Ian Robson was high on the NRL hit list if McLachlan did not take the job.

It's looking promising.

Bonus is getting some AFL corporate knowledge and rattling the AFL's cage.

Obviously we need to be competing on the level that the AFL have trailblazed to such stunning effect.

Hopefully this doesnt blow up in our face.

AFL chief operating officer Gillon McLachlan has rejected the role as CEO of the NRL
    foxsports.com.au

Racing NSW chief executive Peter V'landys is leading a Steve Bradbury-like race to be the ARL Commission's new chief executive after No.1 target Gillon McLachlan rejected a big money approach to quit the AFL.

Rugby League's bold bid to poach AFL's second in charge came to a disappointing yet predictable end on Tuesday when McLachlan opted to remain Andrew Demetriou's understudy.

News of his rejection came via a press release just hours before the Dally M awards - rugby league's night of nights - was due to take place at Sydney's Town Hall.

Not even a reported $1.5 million-a-year carrot and the opportunity to work with rugby league's new riches courtesy of the $1.05 billion broadcast deal - was enough to lure McLachlan north.

The AFL's chief operating officer becomes the latest in a long line of candidates to knock back the ARLC's advances.

Already former TAB boss Warren Wilson, ex-NZRL chief executive Jim Doyle, respected Canterbury CEO Todd Greenberg and the man who is holding the position on an interim basis - Shane Mattiske - have ruled themselves out of contention.

ARL Commission chairman John Grant refused to discuss McLachlan's spurning of the rugby league's approach.

"This is an ongoing process and it is inappropriate to discuss anyone's position given the privacy and trust candidates have invested in the commission,'' Grant said.

"Making the right appointment for the future of the game remains our goal and given we're very comfortable with the way this continues to operate, we've not set ourselves any timeline to complete the process.''

The commission has been searching for a new chief executive ever since long-serving boss David Gallop sensationally quit in June - just four months into a new four-year contract.

Along with V'landys, there was a suggestion the ARLC may have also turned their attention to another AFL man - Essendon chief executive Ian Robson.

The ARLC had been hoping the poaching of McLachlan would deliver a double bonus - not only would it be getting a highly respected sports administrator but it would also be privy to many of their rival code's secrets.

Just last week Grant praised McLachlan's role in the AFL's continued growth in recent years.

Seen as the logical successor to Demetriou, McLachlan said he had unfinished business with the AFL.

"There is still much to achieve at the AFL as we continue to strategically position the code for ongoing growth in popularity and participation,'' he said in a statement.

Demetriou lauded McLachlan's retention.

"Gill has played an important role in many of the AFL's significant commercial outcomes in recent years and still has much to contribute to the AFL's future strategic direction,'' Demetriou said.

While he may be last-man standing, V'landys is far from a last-choice option for the ARLC.

His effort to beat corporate bookmakers in a landmark NSW High Court case that netted the racing industry $100 million in March won him many admirers within rugby league circles