Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    I am optimistic, and a win is a win at this stage, but I would expect the Panthers will be just as keen for a win and arguably have more to play for.
    ...panthers will put up a little bit of fight but like the eels match I dont think us fans will be nervous at any stage.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Myles cleared for 150th NRL game

RSS
    Laine Clark AAP Wed, Aug 22, 2012 - 5:36 PM

By rights, Gold Coast forward Nate Myles shouldn't be celebrating his 150th NRL game against Penrith in their must-win clash on Saturday.

The bruising forward has been crashing through the pain barrier for two months due to a persistent sternum injury, with Titans coach claiming Myles is one of several players who "shouldn't be playing but they are" as the finals race heats up.

Myles called himself "a bit of a drama queen" on Wednesday, but fewat the Titans doubt his bravery in what has been a remarkable debut year on the tourist strip.

Although he missed training on Wednesday, the Queensland Origin star confirmed he'll lead the Titans' pack in the absence of Luke Bailey (Achilles) for this weekend's clash with Penrith.

Clearly discomforted at times by his injury, Myles's pain will be dulled somewhat if he can inspire another win for the top eight hopefuls against the Panthers.

"Being a bit of a drama queen fatigue kicks in a lot. And I am getting old," the 27-year-old said of his injury.

"There would be a few in each side that wouldn't be playing if it wasn't at the business end of the season.

"It's that time of year when you are lucky to get to the end of the week.

"But of all the big games this year (they have played), this (Penrith) would be the biggest."

Myles has been touted as the Gold Coast's best buy thanks to a remarkable 2012 - something few saw coming just 12 months ago.

Sacked by the Sydney Roosters after breaking a booze ban, Myles was considered such a bad influence that he was denied a heartfelt request to play one final game with the tri-colours before heading north.

Now Myles is the key to a last gasp Titans finals berth that would cap a year in which he also took out the Wally Lewis Medal as Queensland's Origin player of the series.

His rollercoaster ride has ensured Myles never took anything for granted since his NRL debut for the Bulldogs in 2005 - especially playing 150 games.

"I never look that far ahead. I actually thought it was next week," said Myles of his milestone.

"I think anyone who goes to a new club has something to prove. I have enjoyed the year but we've got some more work to do."
    #itaintweaktospeak

Myles is one tough bloke & will be that far in front for the Paul Broughton medal they probably had it engraved a month ago
    #itaintweaktospeak

Titans fight for a top-eight spot
    Travis Meyn | 07:58am August 23, 2012

THE Titans have vowed to fight until the bitter end after it emerged punters have deserted them as they make a last-gasp run to the finals.

Time is the Titans' worst enemy, with the Gold Coast needing to win their final two matches to have any chance of making the top eight.

Their last-ditch effort begins on Saturday against the Panthers in Penrith and a win would set up a blockbuster clash against Manly at Skilled Park next weekend.

But two victories still wouldn't guarantee an elimination final for the Titans, who must also rely on other results falling their way, with five teams fighting for the last two remaining spots.

Wests Tigers currently occupy eighth position with Canberra ninth, two points ahead of the Titans.

The Gold Coast are in an unenviable position but star forward Greg Bird said it was the perfect test if the Titans were to feature in September action.

"I think it's a good thing. It's good that we've got the chance to be playing for a semi-finals spot," he said.

"We want three good wins in a row, starting last week (against Parramatta), and if we do that, we'll be in good stead to at least be a chance of winning one of the semi-finals.

"You don't want to be limping into the finals and getting knocked out first week.

"We want to go in with some form and if we can win three in a row, we'll have that."

Your Say
    "Tough task but not impossible Ya just gotta keep winning!"
    Luggsey
    The perfect round 25 scenario for the Titans would see them beat Penrith, Manly beat Brisbane, Canterbury defeat Canberra, Sydney beat Wests and North Queensland dispose of Newcastle.

If that panned out, the Titans would jump into the eight and have the opportunity to hang on to that spot with a win against the Sea Eagles next Saturday.

But it is a tough assignment and they will need plenty of luck, according to Tattsbet's Gerard Daffy.

"I'd like to think they will (make it) but I think they're going to just miss," he said.

"Their biggest problem is they can win both games and quite possibly still miss on for-and-against. You'd think they'll be able to put away the Panthers this week and then it will boil down to that last game against Manly."

Betting on the make up of the top eight has gone cold in recent weeks, with punters staying away from the rollercoaster nature of the NRL.

Brisbane ($1.22) and Wests ($1.45) are favoured to make up 7th and 8th by the end of the regular season with Canberra ($2.65) and the Gold Coast ($4.50) behind them, followed by the Knights ($12).

"Our punters think they're going to battle to make it. They think the only team that can sneak in and change the current top eight is Canberra," Betfair's Matthew Thompson said. "They've had a good run but we think they've left it a bit too late.

"They've had a couple of games they should have won, particularly against lowly-placed teams."

TAB Sportsbet is holding a bet of $6000 on the Titans to make the top eight at $13 but spokesman Matt Jenkins said the agency was confident that wouldn't pan out.

"They're definitely an outside chance but we think they'll just miss out," he said.

If the Titans are to beat Penrith on Saturday and Manly next weekend, it is near certain points difference will decide eighth place and back-rower Mark Minichiello said it would be nice to post a few points against the Panthers.

"It could come down to the differential," he said.

"I think our for-and-against isn't too bad. (There were) a couple of tries on the weekend we could have stopped (against Parramatta) but we'll concentrate on that this week."

The Panthers welcome back NSW centre Michael Jennings from suspension this weekend while former Blues star and Tweed Heads product Michael Gordon has been electric at fullback since his return from a broken leg.

"It's do or die this week. If we lose, we can't make it," Minichiello said.

"All we're doing is concentrating on getting a win this weekend, then we'll think about next week."

Aidan Sezer was on restricted duties at training yesterday as he deals with a hip complaint but the Titans five-eighth appears certain to play.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    The perfect round 25 scenario for the Titans would see them beat Penrith, Manly beat Brisbane, Canterbury defeat Canberra, Sydney beat Wests and North Queensland dispose of Newcastle.
    There's the one that may bring us undone. Here's hoping it's not the case at all.. It's a bit of a bonus that Anthony was cleared of the charges.

Myles would be such a worthy winner of the Paul Broughton Medal. Let's hope his 150th is a success!
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    There's the one that may bring us undone. Here's hoping it's not the case at all.. It's a bit of a bonus that Anthony was cleared of the charges.
    and Farah not playing is a big help, although im not putting my faith in the roosters beating them still. it still will all boil down to us beating manly and the other contenders not pulling off major upsets. like canberra beating doggies means we are toast no matter what.

First Grader Sydney Titans Fanatic's Avatar

nate myles is a machine he just needs some oil in the off season and he will be 100% again.depending on results we only need to win one game

Quote Originally Posted by Travelling Titan View Post
    nate myles is a machine he just needs some oil in the off season and he will be 100% again
    not too much oil I hope ... I sh1t you not.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    ...panthers will put up a little bit of fight but like the eels match I dont think us fans will be nervous at any stage.
    You are a cool customer teke. I was freaking for most of the match.

Feeling good about this game though.

I'm not nervous at all about this game. I'm just nervous about the other games which require results to go our way!

I'm freaking out about this game ... I just can't see Stevie having three good games in a row.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Is this game now officially a dead rubber?

I think an emotional Panthers playing a deflated Titans knowing it's all over might make for horrible watching for fans but dollar dollar bills ya'll for punters.
    I love Aiden Sezer so much I made his profile pic my avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamal's Hamstring View Post
    Is this game now officially a dead rubber?

I think an emotional Panthers playing a deflated Titans knowing it's all over might make for horrible watching for fans but dollar dollar bills ya'll for punters.
    There should still be hope within the camp.

A win here and a Tigers loss will have us sitting pretty on 9th. Ready to snatch 7th or 8th in the final round if Raiders/Broncos slip up.

I'm wavering, Boof. I have tried and I have tried to stay positive but I just can't keep doing it.

I need to let it go. I need to realise they won't change and will just keep on hurting me. As soon as they stumble past the Panthers I will let them back into my heart all forgiven and it will just happen again next week when Manly do us by fifty with a second string team.

Quick- what's the number for life line? I can't go on living like this...
    I love Aiden Sezer so much I made his profile pic my avatar.