Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Quote Originally Posted by Jamal's Hamstring View Post
    I agree more with this. I am concerned that we will look at this season as at least moderately successful and rest on our laurels. As was said last week, sure we are a game or two out of the eight, but we were also three games from the bottom. The fact we are midpack speaks more about how close the league is this year- not how well we have performed.

teke- as for top eight all next year, didn't we say the same thing last year? Weren't we supposed to be top four? The squad we have is better than going 1-5 through the first six rounds, so why did that happen? Why were we so poor early on? Origin doesn't mean bugger all in the context of our season- I know it's a bit out a cop out for some (not directed at you teke) but we were cooked long before that. ****- even going 3-3 would have seen us relatively comfortable in the eight.

There is a problem somewhere. We have a team that on paper should be performing to a very high standard, however it seems to be the same ol' story- ill discipline giving up metres via penalties when we need to tighten up, basic skill errors such as gaping holes in our defensive line and too much dropped ball and a lack of creative play (which to be fair seems to have improved in the second half of the season).

It's a real mixed bag. To call it a success isn't right, but there were a few positives to save it from the label of a complete failure. I'd like to think of it as a bit of a springboard that has hopefully highlighted a number of issues which can be rectified over the summer. I just hope our mentality isn't to spend up big on Taylor and let him solve all of our problems... I think we tried that last year and it got us no where.

Positives for me:

Seeing the development of Ridge, Srama, Sezer. These are the guys you can build a club around.
    Being more competitive that last year.
    Good post. You said what i was trying to say.

I'll try again.

Unless we took the spoon again, we were always going to be "improved" over last years performance. All the positives that people have mentioned are the reasons I am being negative. This idea that we have created something form the ashes. We were meant to be top 4, at least top 8 in 2011. We took out the spoon by being beaten by the Eels at home. Old news now, but almost anything is an improvement on that.

This year we spent big, really big, and are currently "mathematical" to make the 8. Apart from gaining Dave Taylor next year, and having let players find their positions this year (which is what we were all talking about in 2010!!), we assume next year we are going to magically put everything in place and suddenly we are top 4.

I'm happy we have a club, and I am happy we aren't spooners in 2012, but we are far from where we should be. I don't look at our roster and say nearly making the 8 is a good result.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    Good post. You said what i was trying to say.

I'll try again.

Unless we took the spoon again, we were always going to be "improved" over last years performance. All the positives that people have mentioned are the reasons I am being negative. This idea that we have created something form the ashes. We were meant to be top 4, at least top 8 in 2011. We took out the spoon by being beaten by the Eels at home. Old news now, but almost anything is an improvement on that.

This year we spent big, really big, and are currently "mathematical" to make the 8. Apart from gaining Dave Taylor next year, and having let players find their positions this year (which is what we were all talking about in 2010!!), we assume next year we are going to magically put everything in place and suddenly we are top 4.

I'm happy we have a club, and I am happy we aren't spooners in 2012, but we are far from where we should be. I don't look at our roster and say nearly making the 8 is a good result.
    From an outside point of view we were never top 4 and barely top 8 going into 2011 and the odds showed it. Way too many injuries from the start of the pre season which stayed right through to the end.

To be honest I dont think we are far from where we should be, there are just better teams ahead of us at the moment.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    To be honest I dont think we are far from where we should be, there are just better teams ahead of us at the moment.
    Teams like Sharks, Tigers, Raiders.....

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    Teams like Sharks, Tigers, Raiders.....
    Sharks definitely.

General census at the start of the year had Titans anywhere from 7-10th position. I couldnt see it but it ended up being correct.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Sharks definitely.

General census at the start of the year had Titans anywhere from 7-10th position. I couldnt see it but it ended up being correct.
    See, this is where my thinking differs.

We are a much better team than the Sharks. Have a look at the teams. They are just playing better football, so now it's easy to say they are a "better" side. This is my point. We are a top 4 team, with some of the games best players, but we have been playing average football.

Sharks have found a way to get the best out of a team of average players (with obvious exceptions). We have found a way to get average performances out of some of the NRL's best players (with obvious exceptions).

I can't agree with this at all Whiz ... our outside backs are very average. Idris is an ocean-liner, Michaels hardly an A Grader, Gordon is on one leg, Mead under-utilised and Zillman so predictable in attack that apart from when backing-up he gets flattened every time he does the Cartwright inside ball bs.

Anybody on here sick of this? First it was the forwards then the halves and now the fullback ... geez.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

I agree with C-Whiz...looking at our side on paper, we are a very good football team but we have been playing average football.

There's no doubt we should be in the top 8 already and this time of the year pushing for a top 4 spot.

Just can't see it ... our forward pack out-performs our opposition week in week out but we are not really within coo-ee of the four let alone the eight ... the coach has to bear a lot of that but in the end he isn't playing.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.