Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Not much to say.

A poorly prepared but whole-hearted team owned by a patient, skilled opponent. No amount of praise for a very good effort can disguise the fact that our team is just not good enough. Experimenting with key positions at this stage of the season demonstrates exactly that.

I despise the Storm for many reasons but I can't help but admire their structure and discipline whereas we had neither when we so badly needed it.

They made more mistakes than we did but didn't stand around waving their arms in exagerated protest, lying on the ground pathetically trying to milk penalties or staring daggers at each other when they missed tackles ... very sad indeed.
    Last edited by Titanic; 11-08-12 at 01:19 AM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Not much to say.

A poorly prepared but whole-hearted team owned by a patient, skilled opponent. No amount of praise for a very good effort can disguise the fact that our team is just not good enough. Experimenting with key positions at this stage of the season demonstrates exactly that.

I despise the Storm for many reasons but I can't help but admire their structure and discipline whereas we had neither when we so badly needed it.

They made more mistakes than we did but didn't stand around waving their arms in exagerated protest, lying on the ground pathetically trying to milk penalties or staring daggers at each other when they missed tackles ... very sad indeed.
    Where was the experiment in key positions?

Arn't you the one that wants Bird at left centre?
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Storm down Titans in Melbourne
    Travis Meyn **|**09:55pm August 10, 2012

GOLD Coast's finals dreams took a battering in Melbourne tonight with possible season-ending injuries to star forwards Luke Bailey and Ashley Harrison further souring a 24-16 loss to the Storm.

Bailey limped off after just seven minutes with a serious achilles tendon injury while Harrison suffered a strained gluteus in the warm-up and lasted just 17 minutes. The Titans didn't have a replacement on standby after fullback Will Zillman succumb to a sternum injury on game day.

The Titans must now win all three remaining matches to have any chance of making the finals. If they manage to end the season perfectly, it is likely points difference will decide if they sneak into September action.

It was a crushing result for the John Cartwright-coached team, who produced a stunning first half performance to lead 10-0 at the break.

But the Storm clicked into gear in the second half after a spray from coach Craig Bellamy, scoring three unanswered tries to set up their second straight win and put the Titans' finals hopes on life support.

Bailey's night looked doomed from the start when he knocked on with the Titans' first use of the ball. He limped off soon after in the hands of trainers and was sporting crutches for the rest of the night.

Melbourne's debutant winger Mahe Fonua, the first Victorian-born NRL player, copped a baptism of fire and it didn't take long for the Titans to begin their assault on the youngster when a bad read from the rookie allowed David Mead to find Steve Michaels for the opening try.

Harrison left the field but it didn't hault the Titans' momentum and they scored again after a Fonua mistake, this time forward Ben Ridge dived over from dummy-half for his first try of the year.

Mead, who deputised at fullback in the absence of Zillman, was caught out of position by Storm skipper Cameron Smith, who produced a pin-point 40-20 kick which resulted in three repeat sets for the Storm.

But the Titans' desperation in defence saw them hold out numerous raids from a flying Billy Slater and head in to the sheds with a morale-boosting lead.

That's where the joy ended for the Gold Coast though as a fired up Storm outfit, led superbly by Smith, clicked into gear.

A side-stepping Sisa Waqa put Slater into space for the Storm's first points and they backed it up when Cooper Cronk scored in the next set after Gareth Widdop charged on to a suspect Smith offload.

Ryan Hoffman ran a clinical line to give the Storm an 18-10 lead but the Titans hit back when Mead ran on to an Aidan Sezer chip.

That hope was short-lived though as a string of passes led to Widdop sealing the Storm victory in the 75th minute.
    #itaintweaktospeak

im surprised that no one is talking about our defence in the first half. Defence is what is winning us games but sadly with 2 people injured its not going to be easy at the end. Cam Smith made easy metres from dummy half through the latter stages of the game.
    2013 - Sezer's breakout year

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Sezer View Post
    im surprised that no one is talking about our defence in the first half. Defence is what is winning us games but sadly with 2 people injured its not going to be easy at the end. Cam Smith made easy metres from dummy half through the latter stages of the game.
    That's where Bails is so good, u see it whenever he leaves the field..
    #itaintweaktospeak

Can't really recommend Bailey after last night... Only a handful of minutes and one dropped ball which should really have cost us. I don't think playing Myles at the moment is a good option. The big fella needs a chance to recover.

Ridge was immense last night. Mead good as always. Scotty forgot his kicking boots. Odwyer had moments a brilliance but is still prone to dumb ****. Srama always quality. Even Jamal looked somewhat interested.
    I love Aiden Sezer so much I made his profile pic my avatar.

Idris made some desperate tackles in defence
    2013 - Sezer's breakout year

We lost by 8 points that came from a forward pass and an obstruction.
    Considering we were down 3 starting players after 15mins, what ever their other shortfalls, its hard to knock the boys for this loss.
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Arn't you the one that wants Bird at left centre?
    Yes I am. Bird plays 100% left side so that is hardly an experiment although he is obviously playing busted so he should not be picked at all. His spiteful and petulant performances since his return are very disappointing.

Other than taking aim at Bird, I am not going to criticise what was a pretty valiant effort. I thought the fringe players O'Dwyer, Michaels and Falloon all put in really well.

All personal favourites aside, blind Freddy can see that Cartwright is not using the players properly, case in point Idris. In him we have a match winner. The conditions last night were perfect for the big unit but in attack he was a just taking up space.
    Last edited by Titanic; 11-08-12 at 12:03 PM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Yes I am. Bird plays 100% left side so that is hardly an experiment although he is obviously playing busted so he should not be picked at all. His spiteful and petulant performances since his return are very disappointing.

Other than taking aim at Bird, I am not going to criticise what was a pretty valiant effort. I thought the fringe players O'Dwyer, Michaels and Falloon all put in really well.

All personal favourites aside, blind Freddy can see that Cartwright is not using the players properly, case in point Idris. In him we have a match winner. The conditions last night were perfect for the big unit but in attack he was a just taking up space.
    Playing left side and playing left centre are not the same thing although i can see your pt. Ok if Bird is supposedly injured this week would you as coach leave him out to make way for Hendololol.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

On another Forum there is a Cam Smith thread which alleges Cam Smith deliberately targets and drops his knee into Baileys Achilles.

If so this guy needs to be....
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    On another Forum there is a Cam Smith thread which alleges Cam Smith deliberately targets and drops his knee into Baileys Achilles.

If so this guy needs to be....
    Doesn't surprise me, typical tactic from the Donohue trained Storm, ****in grubs ....

I just had a look at what I recorded last night, it's not Cam Smith it was Todd Lowrie. The camera view is blocked by Nate Myles on initial contact, but you can see he goes into Baileys legs leading with his knees. It would be hard to prove to be deliberant, unless another camera angle shows something more. But Storm have form on this type of ****
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

i just dont like them they are grubs its a joke - they always do dirty tackling

If winning isn't everything, then why do they keep score?

Thread maker over at younder is on drugs, there was nothing in it.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

I thought we played well.

Defence was outstanding in the first half.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.