Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    Tickets sales were over 19K on Monday so we should get our best crowd in 2 years
    WOW. That is very strong ticket sales. Looks set to be our best crowd of the season. Supporters are responding.

I saw on Sky News that Asotasi may be a late inclusion for Souths.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Asotasi set to make NRL return

South Sydney co-captain Roy Asotasi is expected to play against Gold Coast on Sunday, with coach Michael Maguire declaring the prop in great shape ahead of the Skilled Park clash.

Provided Asotasi gets through training in good order on Friday at Redfern, Maguire expects the New Zealand international to make his return after being sidelined since April with a ruptured pectoral muscle.

"We're hoping this weekend. He's got another training run today (Friday) to make sure he's OK," Maguire said.

"He's extremely fit. He's in great shape, so we're looking forward to getting him back. He's going to be a big part of what we do, going into the back end of the season."

http://www.nrl.com/

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    WOW. That is very strong ticket sales. Looks set to be our best crowd of the season. Supporters are responding.

I saw on Sky News that Asotasi may be a late inclusion for Souths.
    Awesome! The way the boys have been playing lately, they really deserve a packed crowd behind them and I'm glad to see people are responding.

Roosters have done us a favor tonight by belting the Dragons
    #itaintweaktospeak

Very happy to see that. Couldn't have happened to a nicer club. Haha. Good way to start off our weekend.

Asotasi playing NSW Cup.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

We will win as i wont be going again :P

Wish i could but working.
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by Smakked View Post
    We will win as i wont be going again :P

Wish i could but working.
    Sucks mate. But you won't be alone. I'll be on a plane to Hong Kong as our boys take to the field.

As far as work. Someone has to keep the economy moving. Haha.

Harro must be absolutely jumping out of his skin to play. It's been a long time and a feels false dawns for his return. Against his old club as well. South Sydney. We actually have a few former Souths players such as Mini, Harro and Falloon.

Default NRL win over Souths would be huge: Srama

Wayne Heming AAP Fri, Aug 03, 2012 - 3:29 PM

Impressive young hooker Matt Srama says people will soon be talking about Gold Coast's forgotten forward pack which faces an acid test on Sunday against a high-flying South Sydney.

Along with the in-form Bulldogs, who have stormed to the NRL premiership lead with nine straight wins, Souths have been making a statement of their own under new coach Michael Maguire.

Maguire seems to have found the key to getting a consistent 80 minutes from the red and greens.

Srama, who has made people sit up and take notice since assuming the fulltime dummy-half duties this season, believes his development has blossomed working behind the NRL's most under-rated pack.

"We've pretty much flown under the radar, even though we've just about got a representative pack when you look at them," said Srama, thriving at No.9 with the help of back-up hooker Beau Falloon.

"They all play big minutes and they're playing out of their skin every single week.

"Coming into the finals, everyone is going to hear a lot more of us."

Luke Bailey and Luke Douglas are as tough as any front-rowers and the Titans' first choice back row of Nate Myles, Greg Bird and Ashley Harrison - all State of Origin players - is as good as any going around.

Bird (hamstring) will miss Sunday's game but Harrison returns from a badly-broken toe to help close down the middle.

Gold Coast's head-geared hooker said a victory over Souths, who the Titans suspect might be boosted by the late inclusion of experienced forward Roy Asotasi, would be huge for the players' confidence.

"The Rabbitohs are the form team of the comp at the moment," he said.

"If we can make a late run these last few games, we can secure a spot in the top eight.

"If we get over Souths, we've got all the belief in the world ... we can even go to the grand final."

While they are in frightening form with big John Sutton and Dave Taylor busting sides open, South Sydney - $4.50 premiership second favourites - are the only NRL club who have not won a game at Skilled Park.

Default Souths loving the spotlight says Maguire

By Russell Jackson AAP Fri, Aug 03, 2012 - 5:19 PM

South Sydney coach Michael Maguire says his players are embracing the hype surrounding increasing talk of the Rabbitohs breaking a 41-year premiership drought.

The NRL's second-placed team are chasing six straight wins for the first time since 1994 against Gold Coast at Skilled Park on Sunday as they look to continue their outstanding season.

Souths' great run has prompted comparisons with champion Rabbitohs teams from the past and talk of a first premiership since 1971.

But rather than being concerned about his troops getting caught up in the hysteria, Maguire is pleased with the way they are handling it.

"I've got a really good group of senior boys who have experienced these sorts of things," said Maguire of Souths' leadership group which contains Sydney Roosters 2002 premiership winner Michael Crocker.

"I think our players are handling it quite easily. They are really enjoying the fact we've got so much great support behind us.

"Each week we turn up to games and the crowds are getting bigger ... it's adding to everything that we're doing.

"It's building that momentum into the finals and if we can utilise that in some way then I'm sure we're in for a good time ahead."

Rather than adopt a "don't mention the finals" approach, Maguire is happy for his players to talk about the business end of the season.

"We are a very honest group and we talk about it ... we're aware of what's in front of us," he said.

"But we also know that we have to do a job this week to make sure we build that momentum into those finals and play the good footy that we're capable of."

Maguire is expecting a tough clash with the Scott Prince-inspired Titans, who are chasing a fourth consecutive win and looking to cement their place in the top eight.

If the Rabbitohs win and Canterbury lose to Newcastle on Saturday, Souths would find themselves equal on points with the Bulldogs, who have a superior points difference, at the top of the NRL ladder with just four games remaining after this round.

The humble Maguire has no doubt the Rabbitohs will be up to the task and praised his side for sticking to systems put in place.

"It's a credit to the players the way they practice and the practice makes it simple ... we are obviously doing a lot of repetition work and when you're doing that it makes it easier when you are under pressure ... you just go back to what you've been practising."

Junior

It's 24 nil at newcastle....things are falling into place nicely.

Results have gone very nicely for us. It's all up to the boys now if they want to make the most of this opportunity and cement their place in the top 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    Results have gone very nicely for us. It's all up to the boys now if they want to make the most of this opportunity and cement their place in the top 8.
    I can never remember this type of fortune for the Titans. I hope it continues. But it's in our hands.

I'm hoping Harro makes a successful return and can make up for the loss of Bird.

Anyone got a ticket update? You know Im addicted to crowd figures.

While I wont be there, I have given my Membership to my dad.

Im hoping I can watch it on Qantas or something. Otherwise Ill just do the rosary.

Tough times steel Titans for Souths clash

Adversity has steeled a Gold Coast Titans outfit that will face its toughest test to date against South Sydney at Skilled Park on Sunday.

Stopping a runaway South Sydney sounds daunting but it pales in comparison to what Gold Coast captain Scott Prince has overcome in the past 12 months.

Steeled by a nightmare 2011, Prince did not flinch when the Titans were tipped to add to last year's wooden spoon after they slumped to a 2-7 record this season.

And after helping them to 9-10 and back into the top eight, Prince certainly won't be blinking first when the in-form Rabbitohs are unleashed in Sunday's NRL blockbuster at Skilled Park.

Prince, 32, has had to deal with family tragedies, broken bones and knee reconstructions in his 15-season career.

But the wily halfback admits last year was one of his most testing.

Rumours of team in-fighting, poor form and of course the Titans' well publicised financial plight - Prince endured it all.

Now with the Gold Coast moving forward under new CEO David May and expected to be debt free in weeks, Prince said the adversity had only made him hungrier for success.

"Last year was probably the most testing 12 months I have had as a professional footballer on and off the field, but I am looking forward now," he told AAP.

"I learned a lot about myself, my teammates and a few people around the club who was on your side and who wasn't - that will never be forgotten.

"But now it is about getting a job done on the field and we are confident that we can do it."

Thanks to Prince's revitalised form, the Titans are flying high with three straight wins - and six in nine games.

The chances of extending that run have been boosted by Queensland lock Ashley Harrison recovering from a toe injury.

By rights, the Titans should be the talk of the NRL.

But five straight wins have ensured South Sydney are the flavour of the month - not that Prince is complaining.

"We are just worried about ourselves. We are pretty proud of what we have already achieved," Prince said.

"We held together, got ourselves out of a rut and put ourselves in contention for the top eight - now it is up to us to stay there.

"The hard work is starting to pay off but you don't want to get complacent.

Asked to explain the secret to his form reversal, Prince said: "I wanted to turn it all around and play September football.

"If we don't make the eight I see it as an unsuccessful year."

SBS

Mick Malthouse called in to give South Sydney Rabbitohs a pep-talk

FORMER AFL coach Mick Malthouse has emerged as a secret weapon in South Sydney's charge to the finals, with the three-time premiership winner secretly called into Redfern six weeks ago.

South Sydney coach Michael Maguire asked Malthouse to turn sports psychologist as the Rabbitohs search for the edge to smash a 41-year premiership drought.

A three-time flag winner during a 25-year coaching career with Collingwood and the West Coast Eagles, Malthouse urged the Rabbitohs to avoid setting limitations as they charge into their first finals campaign since 2007.

As the Rabbitohs shoot for their sixth win in a row against the Gold Coast at Skilled Stadium today, Souths forward Dave Tyrell opened up about the pep-talk from Malthouse.

"It's like Mick Malthouse said to us a few weeks ago, if you put a flea in a match box it will only jump that high when you take it out," Tyrell said.

"So don't put yourself in the match box and the sky's the limit.

"That stuck in my mind a little bit. I'm not much of an AFL follower, but he's definitely a name that I know and a person you can take a lot from and learn a lot from.

"The main message was don't limit yourself.

"Madge (Maguire) has put a lot of onus back on us to take things into our own hands and decide where we want to go.

"Competition for spots is pretty hot right now and you have to take your chances when you can get them.

"Obviously we all want to be there, but it's a bit of a dog-eat-dog world."

Malthouse was invited into the Rabbitohs' Redfern bunker by coach Maguire, who has ties to the AFL legend through their respective tenures at Collingwood and the Melbourne Storm.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/