Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Titans reveal new team for future success

Titans reveal new team for future success
    Thursday 26 July 2012 8:17 PM

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans today announced changes to its management team to lead them into a new era of stability and financial security.

Key announcements today include:
    ? The appointment of David May as Chief Executive Officer
    ? The introduction of the new Titans investors
    ? The continuation of Michael Searle as Managing Director of Titans 4 Tomorrow and his appointment as Executive Director ? Football, for the Titans

New CEO David May is charged with overall management responsibility for the Titans. May joins the Titans from Premier Partner and front-of-jersey sponsor iSelect.

Commenting on his appointment, he said: "While it was hard to leave an organisation as great as iSelect, when I was approached about this role by the Titans it was too good an opportunity to turn down,?? said May.

?I've been involved with the Titans since 2006 at Jetstar and I really believe in this club and what it stands for. I believe in the local community and the Gold Coast region and I am confident that we can build something wonderful for our community, our staff and our players.

?What the Titans have achieved so far is incredible. I don't believe any club in any sport in this country puts more back into the community than the Titans. Six seasons ago no-one would have dreamed how far the Titans would have advanced - on and off the field. My job now is to take that success and help everyone here achieve even greater things.

"My aim is to provide the best possible platform for the club to achieve on-field success. This club, the community and all our wonderful supporters deserve something great from the Titans and I will be giving absolutely everything I have to make that happen.?
    Concurrently, the club has introduced its new investors being highly regarded local businessmen Darryl Kelly and Graeme Connor, together with a landmark international investment from Anshuman Magazine ? who in his private capacity is the Chairman & Managing Director of CB Richard Ellis, the world?s largest Real Estate consulting firm, for the South Asia region.

?Importantly, the investors have worked together to bring stability and certainty back to the club and now we have to step forward and show the best the Gold Coast has to offer,?? added May.

?The belief and commitment that the three investors have shown to the Gold Coast and their football team is really incredible, and to bring their mix of business experience and passion to the club is great for the club and the broader community.

"I want to be able to say, in five years time, that the Gold Coast community, our staff and players, have helped create the best sporting club in Australia and I wouldn't be here if I didn't think that was possible."

The club?s Premium Partner, prospective naming rights sponsor and front-of-jersey sponsor, iSelect has been supportive of May?s move.

Matt McCann, Chief Executive Officer at iSelect said: ?While we?re certainly sad to see Dave leave iSelect we?re very pleased that he?s moving to an organization with which we share such a close affiliation.?

?Dave?s decision to join the Titans will further cement the strong relationship between iSelect and the club. I?m really pleased for Dave - he?s always been a passionate supporter of rugby league and it?s rare in life that you?re able to meld a personal passion with your professional career. I?m looking forward to working with him in his new role as CEO of the Titans.?

Michael Searle hailed the changes as significant for the future success of the club and is excited about his role as Executive Director of Football and Managing Director of Titans 4 Tomorrow.

?This is an exciting time for our club, its players, corporate partners and our fans,?? said Searle.

?From a personal perspective I am delighted to continue on with my passion in developing the Titans Football Club and our incredible community programs. These programs continue to deliver real outcomes changing people?s lives for the better, in communities near and far and they have gained national and international recognition.

?The experience and stature of the new investors and the addition of David May to lead the management team will see this club soar to new heights into a new era and I am excited to continue to play my part in this club. I love the game of rugby league but equally I love the positive impact it has on young men and women. This club is close to achieving great things on and off the field, at levels we have not experienced before.?

INVESTOR BIOS

Graeme Connor

Graeme has lived on the Gold Coast for more than 33 years and brings substantial business, accounting and management experience to the club.
    With a background that involves a broad mix of property investments including industrial, housing, leisure and unit development, Graeme?s most recent management experience includes leading a manufacturing and retail group which has outlets on the Gold Coast, Brisbane and the Riverina (NSW).
    Graeme was a director of the Blind Manufacturers Association of Australia (BMAA) for over 10 years, representing the industry at all levels of government, industry and community. He was also the BMAA?s representative with the Australian Fenestration Rating Council.

Previous experience includes time as General Manager with an Australian owned hotel and motel group, and a senior management position at a listed public company.

Graeme has been an active player, follower and supporter of rugby league. He has been a passionate supporter of the Gold Coast Titans since inception, and in more recent times an active member of the Titans community.

Darryl Kelly

Darryl is a renowned local businessman and community leader, who has an outstanding business pedigree coupled with significant personal, and awarded investments in the development of the game of Rugby League at a local and regional level.

Darryl took over the running of his family business at the age of just 22, and has developed out the interests from a small, two-truck business into a portfolio of businesses that span property investments, property management, capital raising and investment services. The group now has commercial property interests though regional New South Wales and south east Queensland.

As well as his own business interests, Darryl was also a board member of the Telstra Country Wide Advisory Board, and was Wagga Wagga president of the ASBA (Australian Small Business Association).

He is also widely respected for his community involvement - Chairman of Wagga Rugby League, 2009 NRL Volunteer of the Year, Committee Member of Rural Universities Action Group (formed to establish a university of excellence in the City Of Wagga Wagga), Patron Ronald McDonald House Wagga Wagga.
    Darryl holds a BEc in Economics from the Australian National University.

Anshuman Magazine

In his private capacity, Anshuman Magazine is the Chairman & Managing Director of CB Richard Ellis, the world?s largest Real Estate consulting firm, for the South Asia region.

His association with the real estate industry began in the year 1994, with him being instrumental in setting up operations for the CB Richard Ellis practice in the Indian subcontinent.

In his current role, Anshuman has led the organization with a consistent and undivided focus, resulting in CB Richard Ellis emerging among the largest Real Estate service provider in India with over 2700 professionals and offices in all the major metros in the country. He has been involved in some of the largest and most prestigious advisory assignments in the post liberalization era in India, including disinvestment exercise for a portfolio of 26 Government owned hotel properties, privatization of airports and various other infrastructure projects.

During his tenure, he assumed the lead role in assisting a large number of Multinational Corporates to establish their operations in India. Under his guidance, CBRE has successfully provided effective real estate solutions for a diverse range of projects across India, including IT Parks, Special Economic Zones, Industrial, Commercial, Housing, IT / ITES / BPO, Retail, Entertainment, and township projects. He has also advised various international real estate financial institutions and private equity funds for investment in the Indian real estate market.

Anshuman is also a key speaker at a number of prestigious national and international events. He is an active member of various industry bodies like CII (Confederation of Indian Industry), AMCHAM (American Chamber of Commerce in India) and was recently appointed the Chairman of RICS in India. Anshuman has an MBA degree from his studies in the UK.

DAVID MAY

David May- CEO

David?s business experience spans the UK, US, North and South East Asia. With over 20 years commercial experience, David has worked with some of the world?s biggest and best known brands like BBC, General Electric, HSBC, Volkswagen, Miele, and Jetstar.

David?s first involvement with the Gold Coast Titans was in 2006, before their inaugural season, driving the agreement that saw his company, Jetstar, become the naming rights sponsor of the team, before a tackle had been made.

David?s commercial experience spans consulting services and commerce having run two advertising agencies in London, as well as running the Melbourne office of American advertising giant Wunderman Worldwide. More recently David has been Marketing Director (ANZ) for GE Money, General Manager Marketing at Jetstar ? responsible for the global marketing output of the airline ? and most recently Chief Marketing Officer at the Gold Coast Titans primary sponsor iSelect.

David?s passion for rugby league started at the age of 5, supporting his local team Hull FC, in the truly cold winters of the north of England. He also shares the passion for community, being responsible for the creation of StarKids at Jetstar, a programme that has had a profound effect on the lives of children throughout Australia and the broader region.

David holds a Masters degree in direct Marketing from Kingston Business School.
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 26-07-12 at 09:34 PM.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Last edited by DIEHARD; 26-07-12 at 09:15 PM.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

I welcome the fresh blood. I await the board announcement.

Also interested in equity of shareholders.

Sounds great I look Forward to seeing what progresses in the near future..
    #itaintweaktospeak

Sounds exactly what we need.
    Hope these guys can help the Titans win back public trust.

HULL FC for our English Super League sister club!

these guys seem legit.

almost immediately restores some credibility and gives people confidence in our brand moving forward.

i will eagerly await the announcement of the board, is there a timeframe we can expect this?

May day as Michael Searle position changes

INCOMING Gold Coast Titans chief executive David May last night paid tribute to the vision of Michael Searle after the man widely regarded as the driving force behind their formation relinquished total power to become executive director of football.

Under the Titans' restructure - which has taken place because of the club's well-documented financial woes - Searle has stepped down as managing director.

The Titans confirmed the changes at administrative level in a statement, also revealing the three investors who stepped in to save the club in its darkest hour. They are local businessmen Darryl Kelly and Graeme Connor, and Anshuman Magazine, the chairman and managing director for the Southeast Asia region of real estate consulting firm CB Richard Ellis.

Under the new regime, Searle will work with coach John Cartwright and be responsible for recruitment and monitoring the salary cap. Ultimately, however, he will be answerable to May.

"If it wasn't for Michael, there wouldn't be a Gold Coast Titans," May said. "It was his vision. I honestly believe there isn't any sporting club outside of rugby league that gives more back into the community. Obviously there has been some dark days, but there are a lot of positive things going on as well."

Searle added: "This is an exciting time for our club, its players, corporate partners and our fans. From a personal perspective, I am delighted to continue with my passion in developing the Titans football club and our incredible community programs.

"The experience and stature of the new investors and the addition of David May to lead the management team will see this club soar to new heights into a new era and I am excited to continue to play my part in this club."

May, a lifelong rugby league fan whose earliest memories involve watching his local side Hull on the terraces in northern England, will move from Victoria with his wife and officially begin his new role on Wednesday.

Over an extensive business career, he has worked with blue-chip companies Mercedes-Benz and HSBC bank.

Last year, he joined the Titans' major sponsor, iSelect, as chief marketing officer.

"I guess it's not often in life you get to mix your passion with your profession," May said. "Rugby league is in my blood. It's one of my earliest memories, freezing to death on the terraces at the Boulevard in Hull. Obviously I came across the Titans when I was working with Jetstar."

The Titans' woes can be traced back to the ambitious plan to build the Centre of Excellence, which ultimately became a millstone around the club's and Searle's neck. The club was hammered by the global financial crisis, leaving it vulnerable to financial hardship. It almost cost Searle the club.

He ultimately managed to save the football team, but only after placing the Centre of Excellence on the market, putting the club's property arm in voluntary administration and finding investors willing to prop up the club.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    these guys seem legit.

almost immediately restores some credibility and gives people confidence in our brand moving forward.

i will eagerly await the announcement of the board, is there a timeframe we can expect this?
    Me thinks these men are the board.

Searles new job is to manage the Salary Cap
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Me thinks these men are the board.

Searles new job is to manage the Salary Cap
    yeah i read this morning it will be these three guys, plus Searle, plus 2-3 more local business people.

i am encouraged by all of this.

really only need to nail to sale of the CoE and we are seriously getting back on track

This was posted by @ReadingThePlay on Twitter:

"Whether David May enjoys administrative autonomy or is merely a frontman for Searle, whose web of companies still own the Titans' intellectual property, remains to be seen." c/ daily telegraph.

Oh, and then this bit.

"May boasts an impressive resume. He has 20 years' experience in marketing, joining Titans sponsors iSelect last year as chief marketing officer after having worked for Jetstar. May has also worked with GE, Mercedes Benz, Yellow Pages, Volkswagen and HSBC bank."

Righttt. He was Mkg Mgr at Jetstar and tipped millions in as major sponsor, then in his new role at iSelect then signed up to tip new bucket loads of cash in to the then drowning Titans. Nice friend to have in need.

And is now appointed as the new front man to Searle.

And you don't think they ain't joined at the hip.

Oh, and by the way, who still holds the majority share holding in the new restructured Titans? yes, that would be M Searle.

And this is being called a restructure. Mmmmmm.

Any added accountability at a board level is an absolute bonus but there must be question marks about how independent the new CEO is given his history with Searle?? Let's hope it does lead to better management off the field and that they are willing to place some long needed pressure on our under performing coaching staff.

This is the problem as I see it. The strategy to deflect any further public fall-out is commendable and the group he has put together are all credible in their own fields but the veneer is only paper-thin.

An Indian property guru, two investment entrepreneurs rolled-out as rugby league tragics and the bloke behind Jetstar's marketing (how are they going?) and previously iSelect (why did they let him go or perhaps more poignantly how is a failing rugby league club a better gig than iSelect?).

Finally, Michael Searle will never entirely win back the Gold Coast community and I completely agree with the tone of Karnage's quote ... this is on the surface a reasonable solution but it is in reality more of the same from our ex-CEO plus the COE is still a thorn in our side.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Admittedly, it doesn't appear to be the sweetest deal while Searle still lurks in the shadows. As I've stated numerous times, Searle has done a lot of commendable things in his time for the club and the code. But unfortunately the shady/negative deals have taken a lot of shine off positives, and to many fans the damage already done is irrepairable to them. So until his role is completely diminished at the club, there will be a certain number of supporters that wont buy it or return until he has eventually left the establishment altogether.

My blind faith will see me remain a strong supporter of the Titans. But as with many, I/we want to eventually see our club rise above and be gone from the continuous controversy that has plagued us for quite sometime and be gone of it, once and for all.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    This is the problem as I see it. The strategy to deflect any further public fall-out is commendable and the group he has put together are all credible in their own fields but the veneer is only paper-thin.

An Indian property guru, two investment entrepreneurs rolled-out as rugby league tragics and the bloke behind Jetstar's marketing (how are they going?) and previously iSelect (why did they let him go or perhaps more poignantly how is a failing rugby league club a better gig than iSelect?).

Finally, Michael Searle will never entirely win back the Gold Coast community and I completely agree with the tone of Karnage's quote ... this is on the surface a reasonable solution but it is in reality more of the same from our ex-CEO plus the COE is still a thorn in our side.
    Don't mean to hijack your conversation, just wanted to say:

1. Hello
    2. Thanks for the messages of support, it really means a lot
    3. Understand the uncertainty but we are doing everything we can to secure a solid future for the club.

Re your specific question about leaving iSelect. Yes it is hard to leave. iSelect is a great company, with a great team of people. But, I do believe this club can achieve great things. And for me it's a once in a lifetime chance to mix my business with a game I love at the club I believe in.

Thanks to all for your support. And hope to see you at the Souths game?

Best

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by david may View Post
    Don't mean to hijack your conversation, just wanted to say:

1. Hello
    2. Thanks for the messages of support, it really means a lot
    3. Understand the uncertainty but we are doing everything we can to secure a solid future for the club.

Re your specific question about leaving iSelect. Yes it is hard to leave. iSelect is a great company, with a great team of people. But, I do believe this club can achieve great things. And for me it's a once in a lifetime chance to mix my business with a game I love at the club I believe in.

Thanks to all for your support. And hope to see you at the Souths game?

Best

Dave
    Dave 1st i'd like to say welcome the forums & i'm glad u have found your way here as Michael had also done in the past.

We can be a very passionate lot on the forums but if u could throw your 2 cents in every now & again you will probably earn a lot more respect from the vast array of supporters we have on here.

Good luck with the new board & i look forward to meeting you in the very near future, maybe next Wednesday.

Pete
    #itaintweaktospeak