Default NSW Blues to offer State of Origin coach Ricky Stuart three-year deal

NSW Blues to offer State of Origin coach Ricky Stuart three-year deal

NSWRL chief John Chalk has revealed Ricky Stuart will be offered a three-year contract to stay on as State of Origin coach, but is against him combining the role with a NRL club job.

Stuart's current deal expires this year following last Wednesday's 21-20 defeat by Queensland and, although he was unable to end a run of seven successive series wins for Mal Meninga's Maroons, the Blues made great strides since his return to the position in 2010.

The 45-year-old has been linked with a return to former club Canberra, with David Furner believed to be under pressure to keep his job.

Parramatta and St George Illawarra have also been mentioned as potential destinations, and Stuart has made no secret of wanting to return to the NRL at some stage.

However, Chalk is hoping Stuart will agree to stay on once he'd conducted a debrief of the recent 2-1 series defeat, but admitted he was unsure what his plans will entail.

"When the time comes around for our debrief, Ricky will fill us in,'' Chalk said.

"The way he has worked with us has been very transparent and we have a good relationship with his manager John Fordham.

"It would be wrong of me to say what he will do until we have a debrief.

"We probably have a little bit of time on our side. It's not something any of us are going to rush into. But in saying that, we are going to do it sooner rather than later.

"But if I was coach in 'clubland', I'd be looking at Ricky if I was doing the recruiting.''

However, Chalk said he'd be against him combining the roles as the modern-day pressure cooker environment of Origin is too great.

"The pressure of week in, week out NRL coaching is that you have so many people to please,'' he said.

"You have fans, you have committees and that pressure is a bit unforeseen.

"Origin may be only three games, but the intensity and the pressure of those three games, the build-up, dealing with the press, is very high.''

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

He must take the Origin position again, whether he is with the Raiders or anybody else I don't care, just as long as I can see the sour grapes look when Queensland goes 8 straight.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

I definitely hope he re-signs for the Blues job. Arguably the greatest team ever that Queensland has and he got the boys so close to toppling them.

I hate him and always have, even when he played for the Roos, I wanted Alfie in.

But that type of hate is one reason why he is good for Origin.

I hope he takes the Raiders job. Its been years since they have played well. Him being NSW coach will help sign and retain players.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    I hate him and always have, even when he played for the Roos, I wanted Alfie in.

But that type of hate is one reason why he is good for Origin.

I hope he takes the Raiders job. Its been years since they have played well. Him being NSW coach will help sign and retain players.
    Now theres a Shock
    #itaintweaktospeak

if he doesn't stay with NSW we will not win it within the next 3 years simple as that.
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

Bird wants NSW to keep Stuart for Origin

By Laine Clark AAP Wed, Jul 18, 2012 - 5:01 PM

The pain from Greg Bird's chest injury has almost subsided but it seems the departure of NSW State of Origin coach Ricky Stuart will hurt more for the Blues bruiser.

Moments after confirming he was still a week away from returning for Gold Coast from the pectoral complaint he suffered in Origin III, Bird called on the NSWRL to ensure Stuart was involved in the next interstate series - even if it wasn't as Blues coach.

Stuart has been consistently linked to Canberra next year but is yet to thrash out a deal with the NSWRL to ensure he can share the Blues and NRL coaching reins.

A melancholy Bird sounded resigned to losing Stuart as NSW coach next year after hearing the NRL rumours that have swirled since the Blues' heartbreaking one-point loss in the Origin decider.

But Bird hoped Stuart would remain close to the Blues camp in some capacity, such was his admiration for the incumbent NSW mentor.

"I would love to see Ricky there next year," Bird said on Wednesday.

"I am sure NSW officials would love to see him there.

"But Ricky has to look after himself. He's a great club coach and I am sure that is the role he will take on next season.

"There's no reason why he can't come in as a coaching administrator, or a role similar to that to keep him around the playing group because he has such an influence on the team."

Bird said the pain of losing a seventh straight Origin series stung more than the pectoral injury he aggravated in game three and is still nursing.

"After my first one (series loss), I never thought we would be 7-0 down but we are and we have to dig ourselves out," he said.

"We have to re-evaluate but, hopefully, it is a very similar staff and team next year so we can give it another lash."

Bird said the NSW series loss would steel him to help the Titans pull off a last-gasp finals spot.

But he won't jeopardise Gold Coast's chances by fast-tracking his return and playing in the NRL derby with Brisbane on Friday night.

"If it was a semi-final, I may be able to push for this week but we have some pretty important games after this one so I am going to rest up," Bird said.

"There is (a temptation) but if I come back and re-injure it, like I did at the last Origin, it will probably rule me out for the rest of the season.

"I will sacrifice this game for the last six.

"With the rehab that I have had, I am pretty confident it should be right for next week's game against the Roosters."
    #itaintweaktospeak

Stuart opts out as Blues mentor
    Date
    August 4, 2012 - 10:00PM
    SMH
    DANIEL LANE

RICKY STUART has decided to walk away from the NSW State of Origin coaching job after the ongoing bunfight over whether he should continue in the role.

Stuart announced his resignation via his weekend newspaper column, saying it was with a heavy heart that he was leaving the post after back-to-back series defeats at the hands of the all-conquering Maroons. NSWRL general manager Geoff Carr said the state body had accepted Stuart's decision and would begin the search for a new coach.

There has been ongoing speculation about Stuart's future at State of Origin level since he accepted the role of Parramatta's head coach last week. The Blues made a point of making it a priority to have a full-time Origin coach following a wide-ranging review into football operations last year when Stuart returned from the coaching wilderness after an ill-fated stint with Cronulla.

Stuart was seen as the central figure to have restored the spirit into the Blues despite the team suffering 2-1 series losses last year and this season.

Former NSW stars Laurie Daley, Trent Barrett and Brad Fittler are leading candidates to take over from Stuart while more experienced coaches like Daniel Anderson and Jason Taylor will also come under consideration.

Stuart said it had been an extremely difficult decision to give the NSW gig away. There has been a push for the Blues' most successful coach, Phil Gould, to re-enter the State of Origin fray ? but he is unlikely to put his hand up unless the NSWRL shows considerable interest.

"For weeks I have been saying that this is not about me, it's about setting up the future ? but everybody wants to look past that and come up with their own theories on my motivations, ignoring what's in front of them," Stuart wrote in his Telegraph column. "And I would be lying if I didn't say I'm becoming tired of it because I don't believe that is being heard. As NSW fans we need to believe. We need to trust in what we're doing. All this swimming through my head is part of the reason why I am stepping down. As of right now, I am no longer the NSW coach."

Stuart, who guided the Roosters to the 2002 premiership in his rookie year as a coach, described leaving the Blues as "one of the toughest decisions of my career".
    #itaintweaktospeak

I hope Laurie Daley gets the gig for three years...I'll start creating a '10 in row' poster now.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    I hope Laurie Daley gets the gig for three years...I'll start creating a '10 in row' poster now.
    I think this is all a bit of a joke.

State and National coaching jobs should be full time.

But a part time role for NSW serves my interests as a Queenslander.

I can see how Sticky wants to be NSW and Parra coach as it would help land big name signings.

Edit: I just read Pete's post. WOOHOO! Anyone but Gould is many pegs down. Queenslander! Go for it Laurie!!!
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 05-08-12 at 05:59 AM.

I agree Chaos, I dont rate Daley. Not as a commentator either.

This is a fulltime position by the nature of the profile it holds and it requires independent management to disassociate itself from exactly the type of advantage at club level that Stewart the Loser was trying to lever.

NSWails has got it right for once and they'll learn quickly enough that good management is what's required not innovative coaching. Even as a passionate Queenslander (anybody doubt me), Meninga never was and has not been magically transformed into a good rugby league coach. What Meninga is is a believer in what's required from the players in spirit and commitment to take them to a higher level than what's already been coached into them. Stewart proved this and now all the Boos heirachy have to do is find someone who can bring that to the table.

Origin transcends Stewart, Meninga and any individual ... except maybe the King.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

why are all these fail coaches (Daley, Barrett and Fitler) getting a chance to coach NSW. Hasler should get the gig.
    2013 - Sezer's breakout year

i understand that Origin coaches require independent management which should be solely focused on Origin but with the dud options of Fitler and co NSW might as well opt for Hasler or Bellamy or someone else decent.
    2013 - Sezer's breakout year