Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Just saw this ... condolences to the Mead family and friends.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

The minute Silence for Steve Snr on Sat is fitting.

This mans work for PNG International Education Agency has helped thousands upon thousands of ppl over the years. His legacy is his children and family and such a strong one it is.

If Dave plays on Sat I fear for the Warriors
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    The minute Silence for Steve Snr on Sat is fitting.

This mans work for PNG International Education Agency has helped thousands upon thousands of ppl over the years. His legacy is his children and family and such a strong one it is.

If Dave plays on Sat I fear for the Warriors
    I hope the crowd is told of Mr Meads work & he is given the respect he rightfully deserves

If Dave plays thats great but he needs to do whats best for himself & his family at a such sad time.

R.I.P
    #itaintweaktospeak

Check out Birdies eye:

http://instagram.com/p/MrdoHliJ0P/

Also - here is an article which could derail our run for the finals.

Battered Greg Bird unlikely to face Warriors
    CHRIS BARCLAY | 05/07/2012

The New Zealand Warriors must combat State of Origin's man of the series but another cornerstone of the Gold Coast Titans forward pack is destined to miss Saturday's NRL clash at Skilled Park - and potentially the rest of the season.

While star second rower Nate Myles' recovery from last night's cliff hanger at Suncorp Stadium revolves around the extent of his celebrating Queensland's seventh successive series win, glum NSW adversary Greg Bird has practically ruled himself out of backing up against the Warriors.

Bird self-diagnosed a torn pectoral muscle when he emerged from the dressing room and if scans confirm his medical opinion the rugged back rower could be sidelined for the remainder of the Titans campaign, denting their hopes of making the play-offs.

He also sustained an ugly facial wound - his right eye was swollen and practically shut, another body blow likely to rule him out of the 18th round match with the New Zealanders.

Bird was punched in the head by Brent Tate during the fiery opening stages of the decider but it was Petero Civoniceva's knee that inflicted the damage.

Tate today entered an early guilty plea to a grade one striking charge and escaped suspension due to his previous disciplinary record.

A Titans spokesman said Bird's status will be confirmed tomorrow, his absence would be another headache for head coach John Cartwright who has already lost Maroons back rower Ashley Harrison to a toe injury suffered in the second instalment of a closely fought interstate series.

Veteran prop Luke Bailey's comeback from a long-term rib injury is also doubtful with the former Kangaroos and NSW representative needing to pass a fitness test tomorrow.

Bird was in a sorry state after the Blues agonising 21-20 loss, his physical state mirrored his mental well-being.

"It's dejecting. We fought hard and fought back but it wasn't to be. It's so disappointing," he said as shattered teammates contemplated another agonising defeat.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/...medium=twitter

That is a massive massive loss. I was hoping my least hated agro Blue would get through the series.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Gold Coast Titans v New Zealand Warriors July 5, 2012 - 7:03PM

Skilled Park, Gold Coast, Saturday 7.30pm (AEST)
    Last meeting: Round 4 2012 - Warriors 26 bt Titans 6 at Mt Smart Stadium
    Head-to-head: Titans 6 Warriors 5
    Referees: Matt Cecchin/Phil Haines
    TV: Live, FoxSports 2
    TAB Sportsbet: Titans $2.40 Warriors $1.60
    FootyTab: Titans +4.5

Greg Prichard writes: After winning three in a row to stay alive in the finals race, the Titans have lost two of their last three and need to get going again now. They are one spot behind the ninth-placed Warriors, who have won two of their last three. The Titans had regularly beaten the Warriors until their last three clashes, which were all won by the Warriors - including one at this venue.

AAP writes: The chance of a top eight berth for both sides could ride on the outcome of this game. The 10th-placed Gold Coast - who’ve won four from their last six - will be banking on a win with the return of Luke Bailey, William Zillman, Beau Champion and Matt White, while also sweating on the fitness of Origin stars Nate Myles and Greg Bird. The Warriors, although favourites, aren’t without their own injury concerns. They’ll be missing Manu Vatuvei, flying fullback Glen Fisiiahi and his usual replacement Kevin Locke.

The Warriors came good this time last season, winning seven of their last nine regular season games to eventually make the grand final. They’ll be eyeing off a similar run starting Saturday.

TITANS: William Zillman, Kevin Gordon, Jamal Idris, Beau Champion, David Mead, Aidan Sezer, Scott Prince, Luke Bailey, Matt Srama, Luke Douglas, Greg Bird, Mark Minichiello, Nate Myles. Interchange: Matt White, Brenton Lawrence, Ben Ridge, Luke O'Dwyer

WARRIORS: Kevin Locke, Bill Tupou, Ben Henry, Konrad Hurrell, Omar Slaimankhel, James Maloney, Shaun Johnson, Russell Packer, Nathan Friend, Ben Matulino, Feleti Mateo, Simon Mannering (c), Elijah Taylor. Interchange (from): Lewis Brown, Sione Lousi, Jacob Lillyman, Steve Rapira, Pita Godinet.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Bailey not feeling pressure to play

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans prop Luke Bailey says his faith in the club?s forward depth has eased the pressure on him to make a return from injury against the Warriors on Saturday night.

Bailey is considered a 50-50 chance to make his comeback from a painful rib injury against the Warriors, but the experienced prop said he would not risk playing if his injury could benefit from an extra week off and he was not 100 per cent.

?I?m going to try my best to play this weekend but if not I won?t be disappointed because this time last year I would have had to play, but we?ve got a bit more depth and have got some quality front rowers there so it?s made my injury and my restless nights a bit easier,?? said Bailey.

?If need be, I?ll wait to the following week but I?m going to try my best to play this week.

?If it?s going to cause any more damage than I probably won?t play.??

With the Warriors boasting a strong contingent of ex-pat supporters living on the Gold Coast, the Titans are expecting plenty of support for the visitors on Saturday night.

Bailey said it would be up to the home crowd to turn out in force combined with the Titans? action on the field to silence the vocal support for the Warriors.

?I think it?s that southern grandstand at Skilled Park that is normally full with Kiwi supporters,?? said Bailey of previous home games against the Warriors.

?Hopefully our crowd can get out there and we?re calling on all our fans to get out there and try and make them quiet and we?ll do our job out on the field.??

http://www.titans.com.au/

PRINCE: Time to kick the door down
    Scott Prince | 12:01am July 6, 2012

OUR foot is in the door, it is up to us to kick it open.

Indifferent form at the start of this season has left the Titans with an interesting equation. There are nine games to go and we are in 10th place.

I may not have been the dux at primary school in Mt Isa, but even my knowledge of maths tells me our win-loss ratio has to improve as we gallop towards the home straight in this year's race to the final eight.

The 'let's not look too far ahead and just take one game at a time' line has now expired. That luxury was lost amid our ordinary form in the first half of the season.

A part of every NRL player's mantra is not to get ahead of yourself, to just focus on the next game. Forget what is We are now at Round 18 of a 26-round season, however.

Sure, we have to keep our minds on the here and now, keep focussed on the next opponent, but we also know that we now need more wins than losses.

That's why in this equation our games at Skilled Park take on a greater significance.

These are the games where as a club, we start on the higher ground. These are the games on our patch. There's no travel, we have the crowd behind us. So we start each of these games with an advantage. It is up to us to turn that advantage into points.

Our remaining draw is: v Warriors (home), Raiders (away), Broncos (h), Roosters (a), Rabbitohs (h), Storm (a), Eels (h), Panthers (a), Sea Eagles (h).

So, for me, the five home games are key to our finals aspirations.

There is no easy win in the NRL these days and all our home opponents will be tough - Warriors, Broncos, Rabbitohs, Eels and Sea Eagles.

But we also know we have the roster that, on our day, can account for any team. Our recent form has shown that.

Within the playing group the season started with expectation. We knew what we were capable of, but it took a while to click.

Now that expectation has transformed to confidence. Winning does that.

We may have some injuries, but that is always part of what rugby league is all about.

We know we have a hurdle to overcome to make it to the finals, but we also know we can do it.

Our destiny is in our hands.

I was rapt to see Nate Myles named as the Player of the Series for Origin 2012.

He is one of the reasons I am confident about our football team. Nate is the guy you want beside you when the going gets tough.

He just continually puts his hand up for work and no matter how hard he gets hit he will always get to his feet and look the defender in the eyes as if to say 'is that all you've got'.

Birdy also had a great series, although he looked a bit busted after what was a real tough game.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Well said Princey.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Mead to be given every chance to play
    Travis Meyn | 12:01am July 5, 2012

DEVASTATED Titans flyer David Mead will be given every opportunity to play against the Warriors on Saturday as he comes to terms with the death of his father.

Stephen Mead died on Tuesday following a two-year battle with cancer. His funeral will be held in Papua New Guinea in the coming days.

It is the second family tragedy Mead has had to deal with in recent weeks after a cousin of his died in PNG in the lead-up to the Titans-Panthers match recently.

Mead flew to PNG for the funeral made it back in time to star against the Panthers and Titans football manager Scott Clark said the club had left the decision to play up to the 23-year-old.

"We'll support him 100 per cent and leave that decision with David as to whether he wants to play," he said.

"We haven't been in contact with him much yet so we can let him get through this tough time.

"We'll be fully supportive of whatever decision David wants to make."

Mead was born in PNG and known as David Moore before moving to Australia as a 12-year-old to live with his aunty and uncle, Kila and Stephen Mead, in Lismore.

He adopted their family name in 2009 and Clark said the winger's maturity meant he would make the right decision heading into the weekend.

"It's been a tough time for him and we've been behind him the whole way," he said.

"He's shown great character through it all and has continued to play great football. That's testament to the guy he is.

"He'll know by Friday if he's available. He's a mature fellow and he'll make the decision in time for the team to adjust."

Titans coach John Cartwright said the players were devastated for Mead's loss.

"He's had a really horrible last couple of weeks. He lost a cousin that was very close to him and now he's lost his father so it's been a really tough time," he said.

"He knows that the club, and the boys in particular, are behind him."

If Mead is unavailable, Steve Michaels will be drafted on to the right wing to partner returning centre Beau Champion.
    #itaintweaktospeak

i believe bird does not get the credit he deserves, i believe he is one of the most underrated players in the game. To be honest he would be one of the first people id pick if i was building a team. All it takes is to have a look at the 3 origin games this year , the boy is made for them. His grit and determination is undoubtable and i think he will be a HUGE loss this weekend if he doesn't play.
    i personally reckon nsw wouldn't of even got close this series if he wasn't there.

If winning isn't everything, then why do they keep score?

Gold Coast Titans v Warriors at Skilled Park, 7:30pm (local). #NRLGLDWAR

TITANS: William Zillman, Kevin Gordon, Jamal Idris, Beau Champion, David Mead, Aidan Sezer, Scott Prince, Luke Bailey, Matt Srama, Luke Douglas, TBC, Mark Minichiello, Nate Myles. Interchange: Matt White, Brenton Lawrence, Ben Ridge, Luke O’Dwyer

Late Mail: Greg Bird is out with a pectoral injury he re-injured in Origin III. Nate Myles will play, but Ashley Harrison has not made an early recovery from the injury that kept him out of Origin.

WARRIORS: Kevin Locke, Bill Tupou, Ben Henry, Konrad Hurrell, Omar Slaimankhel, James Maloney, Shaun Johnson, Russell Packer, Nathan Friend, Ben Matulino, Feleti Mateo, Simon Mannering, Elijah Taylor. Interchange: Lewis Brown, Sione Lousi, Jacob Lillyman, Steve Rapira
    #itaintweaktospeak

Travis Meyn ‏@travismeyn

Nate Myles not at Titans final session and is extremely doubtful of playing. Bailey, Bird and Harrison also out. Huge losses. #NRL

Well.

That stinks.

Seems Myle s is out injured sternum. So going to be a tough one for the boys
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).