Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20

It would have been funny to see the Broncos miss the Finals. But as usual they'll sneak in with luck. How one bloody franchise gets a mortage on Rugby League's 2nd largest city is well beyond me.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Titans not sweating on finals miracle

Where there is life, there is hope - but it seems no one has shared the famous Chinese proverb with Gold Coast captain Scott Prince.

Technically the Titans are still alive in the NRL finals race but Prince sounded like the NRL's equivalent of a dead man walking on Monday.

To pull off a finals miracle, the Gold Coast need Brisbane and Wests Tigers to lose then thrash defending champions Manly at Skilled Park on Saturday.

Prince wasn't holding his breath.

"There's still a glimmer of hope but when you start talking like that you know you are not a chance," he said.

Rather than plan a last gasp top eight tilt, Prince was more concerned with saving face this weekend after the Titans sabotaged their finals chances with a surprise 36-22 last round loss to lowly Penrith.

The Gold Coast missed 44 tackles - 10 alone by Prince.

Asked what went wrong against the Panthers, Prince said: "A lot of things - you can't just pinpoint one area which we were poor at.

"I think overall it was really disappointing to have the opportunity to stay in touch with the eight and keep our dream alive and perform the way we did.

"It hasn't really sunk in yet.

"We missed a golden opportunity but we get another chance to redeem ourselves."

That will be easier said than done considering the Titans' walking wounded.

Gold Coast coach John Cartwright was expected to rest eight players including stars Nate Myles (sternum), Ashley Harrison (hip) and Greg Bird (ribs) for what he thought was a dead rubber against Manly.

However, he will roll the dice on his injury concerns if they are a mathematical finals chance on Saturday.

However, hooker Matt Srama (shoulder) and five-eighth Aidan Sezer (knee) are expected to miss out.

Wests Tigers' 44-20 shock loss to the Sydney Roosters last round kept the finals door slightly ajar for the Titans.

"We spoke as a team that we want to finish the season on a high," Prince said.

"You don't want to back up a poor performance with another leading into ... the Christmas break - it's a long time to suck it in."

Beau Falloon is expected to step up at rake for the injured Srama.

"I can't put my finger on it," Falloon said of the last round loss.

"We weren't ourselves down there. But that game is gone now - we have to move on.

"We are not thinking about (finals) that much but if we put in a good performance together who knows what can happen."

http://news.brisbanetimes.com.au/

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Add probably Bird,Myles & Harro to the list... but wait we can bring up some of the 20's boy's who can have a crack at the big time against the Manly Machine , we may have to get the record books out
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    Add probably Bird,Myles & Harro to the list... but wait we can bring up some of the 20's boy's who can have a crack at the big time against the Manly Machine , we may have to get the record books out
    Oh you mean BAD records!

Those so carefully nurtured NYC lads can add to our impressive list of NRL records ... I'm looking forward to the naming of the team but predict the same ole same ole.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

First Grader Sydney Titans Fanatic's Avatar

dont we need wests and broncos to lose...and then we need to smash manly by 40 odd points???sorry but cant see it happening

Default Titans not worthy of finals: coach

Laine Clark AAP Tue, Aug 28, 2012 - 6:17 PM

The Gold Coast may need a miracle to make the NRL finals but Titans coach John Cartwright reckons his mercurial side may not be worthy of a top eight spot anyway.

Just fielding a fit side is tough enough at the moment for the Titans after hooker Matt Srama (shoulder) and lock Ashley Harrison (rib) were rubbed out for Saturday's clash with Manly, with another six reportedly battling injury.

Five-eighth Adam Sezer (knee) will be given until Friday to prove his fitness while injury-riddled forward Nate Myles has put his hand up to play.

No wonder making the top eight was not Cartwright's top priority on Tuesday.

To pull off a finals miracle, the Gold Coast need Brisbane and Wests Tigers to lose then thrash defending champions Manly at Skilled Park this weekend.

"Miracles do happen. It would nearly have to be a miracle for Penrith to get over the Broncos on Friday night," Cartwright said.

"But at least we know where we will stand come Saturday morning before our game.

"If we do happen to need to win by a few points, you might get an entertaining game.

"It's important for a lot of reasons that we finish the year on a high - the way we deserve to finish."

But Cartwright hinted the Gold Coast - which started the year with so much promise with new imports Myles, Jamal Idris and Beau Champion - had not warranted a finals berth.

"We've definitely improved in a lot of areas from last year but the goal is always to play finals footy and if you don't get there it's very disappointing," he said of last year's wooden spooners.

"There will be a lot of soul searching when it is over for us this season.

"We'll let the dust settle first and go through it then.

"But the bottom line is you've got to be consistent over the 26 weeks and we just weren't able to do that."

Cartwright named an 18-strong squad on Tuesday, injecting forwards Ryan James and Brenton Lawrence and utility Dominique Peyroux onto a five-man bench.

Cartwright said Myles should play despite nursing so many injuries "I'd be here forever if I told you all of them."

"It's a tribute to him that he wants to play," he said.

"He's put his team in front of himself, which is typical of Nate.

"He's going to need some surgery in the off-season. He's got a few problems."

were easlily a top 8 side, were just not playing like a top 8 side

Well Im looking forward to the NRL Finals none the less.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    Laine Clark AAP Tue, Aug 28, 2012 - 6:17 PM

The Gold Coast may need a miracle to make the NRL finals but Titans coach John Cartwright reckons his mercurial side may not be worthy of a top eight spot anyway.

Just fielding a fit side is tough enough at the moment for the Titans after hooker Matt Srama (shoulder) and lock Ashley Harrison (rib) were rubbed out for Saturday's clash with Manly, with another six reportedly battling injury.

Five-eighth Adam Sezer (knee) will be given until Friday to prove his fitness while injury-riddled forward Nate Myles has put his hand up to play.

No wonder making the top eight was not Cartwright's top priority on Tuesday.

To pull off a finals miracle, the Gold Coast need Brisbane and Wests Tigers to lose then thrash defending champions Manly at Skilled Park this weekend.

"Miracles do happen. It would nearly have to be a miracle for Penrith to get over the Broncos on Friday night," Cartwright said.

"But at least we know where we will stand come Saturday morning before our game.

"If we do happen to need to win by a few points, you might get an entertaining game.

"It's important for a lot of reasons that we finish the year on a high - the way we deserve to finish."

But Cartwright hinted the Gold Coast - which started the year with so much promise with new imports Myles, Jamal Idris and Beau Champion - had not warranted a finals berth.

"We've definitely improved in a lot of areas from last year but the goal is always to play finals footy and if you don't get there it's very disappointing," he said of last year's wooden spooners.

"There will be a lot of soul searching when it is over for us this season.

"We'll let the dust settle first and go through it then.

"But the bottom line is you've got to be consistent over the 26 weeks and we just weren't able to do that."

Cartwright named an 18-strong squad on Tuesday, injecting forwards Ryan James and Brenton Lawrence and utility Dominique Peyroux onto a five-man bench.

Cartwright said Myles should play despite nursing so many injuries "I'd be here forever if I told you all of them."

"It's a tribute to him that he wants to play," he said.

"He's put his team in front of himself, which is typical of Nate.

"He's going to need some surgery in the off-season. He's got a few problems."

when the coach doesn't believe in the team how are the players meant to. definitely time for carty to get the sack

i think you should all leave carty alone...in this case i agree with him...Our team has played like ****...theres only so much he can do and theres no way we deserve to play finals footy especially after penrith...maybe it is time for a restructure in our coaching squad but with the club in debt theres only so much 1 man can do and i believe hes done an alright job. And for those people who want bellamy can go support melbourne...i dont want that little ****er from melbourne coaching the gold coast.

I would take Bellamy in a heart beat. Bloke builds structures. I really can't seem the great expansion of Jamal continuing under Bellamy. I'm even a little worried that Carty won't get the best out of Taylor.

I couldn't give a **** less about whether other clubs look down on us for the way we play football as long as we are winning.
    I love Aiden Sezer so much I made his profile pic my avatar.