Thread: Greg Bird

Default Greg Bird

Greg Bird - 2012 Player Discussion
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Bird could be even better: Anderson

FORMER Test coach Chris Anderson says Blues enforcer Greg Bird could become an even more potent force for the Titans with a small positional tweak.

Bird has been the stand-out back-rower in the country this year, playing on the left edge for the Titans and locking the scrum for NSW, where he won man of the match in Origin II.

The former Test five-eighth has been one of the Titans' best this year with his strong ball carrying and punishing defence helping Gold Coast to the fringe of the top eight.

Anderson, the man who gave Bird his shot in the NRL while coaching Cronulla in 2002, said the 28-year-old could be even more devastating for his club side by playing a little wider.

"His ideal spot is lock but these days they don't really play lock like they did in the old-fashioned days," he said.

"He's got a great offload on him. For me he runs a little too close to the ruck at times.

"He'd be much more valuable running at the edges and off the halfback but they don't seem to do that much these days.

"I would rank him right up there (as one of the best forwards in the game) because he's got a running game, can pass before the line, runs through the line. He's a dangerous player and has that strength about him.

"He should probably be playing one off the ruck. They (Titans) use him as a battering ram a little bit and he loves that work rate but it probably nullifies his value to the team."

Bird, who will miss tomorrow's Dragons clash with a chest injury, was one of the first players Anderson signed when he arrived at the Shire, luring the Maitland product from Newcastle.

Anderson, a former Test and NSW winger, said as Bird grew he transformed from a skillful five-eighth to a quality edge runner.

"It always depended on how he grew. He wasn't a big kid back then so he was probably more a five-eighth then," he said.

"He had some skill with the ball. I think the way they play him now that hasn't been developed.

"He's probably developed more as a runner and a work rate player more than he has as a ball player. That's just how the game is now.

"He's grown into more of a back rower.

"Five-eighths play more like a halfback and he doesn't have the pace for that."

http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    "He had some skill with the ball. I think the way they play him now that hasn't been developed.
    Surprise, surprise, surprise
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Surprise, surprise, surprise
    It is actually, coming from the bloke who demoted reigning Dally M player of the year Preston Campbell in favor of Brett Kimorley.......
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Even though our forward pack has been good with the likes of Greg Bird, Ashley Harrison, Nate Myles, Mark Minichiello, Luke Bailey and can add Matt White into the equation we should be fulfilling more. We have the potential to be a much stronger team in terms of defence.
    Prince and Sezer in the halves.

Does Anderson even watch the games? Sometimes Bird plays so wide there's no room for the centre (which is Jamal so he needs a bit of room to fit in!) Bird turning Idris underneath is one of our plays which has just started developing. If we can get Bird drawing a couple of defenders and getting Idris one on one, we'll score plenty.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

First Grader Sydney Titans Fanatic's Avatar

i would like to see birdy playing in the 13 for a bit...if he was playing 13 he could take some pressure of princey and sezer if it was needed as he has some pretty impressive play making skills... and with harrison out putting bird at 13 might be a good replacement

Greg Bird will not fast-track his return to Gold Coast Titans line-up

INJURED NSW Origin star Greg Bird says he won't jeopardise Gold Coast's NRL's finals push by fast-tracking his return to play in the NRL derby clash with Brisbane on Friday night.

The tough backrower was not named in the Titans' squad for the match but was still expected to test the pectoral injury suffered in the Origin finale and push for selection.

However, Bird said on Wednesday he would miss the game in order to ensure he was fully fit for the rest of the Titans' push toward the finals.

"If it was a semi-final I may be able to push for this week but we have some pretty important games after this one so I am going to rest up," Bird said.

"There is (a temptation) but if I come back and re-injure it like I did at the last Origin it will probably rule me out for the rest of the season.

"I will sacrifice this game for the last six."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/

Hmm I really did want Bird to play against the Broncos because we need him, but it is the best call to wait till he's 100% fit.

I reckon that just means he is not ready and fair enough. All the fluff about Bailey and Myles playing with injuries is also just fluff ... these will not jeopardise long-term damage for short-term outcomes, imho.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.