Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default State of Origin: Game 3 QLD vs NSW

QUEENSLAND vs NEW SOUTH WALES
    Wednesday 8pm 4 July - Lang Park
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Bird looks like he will play.

Glenn Stewart won't.

Slater looks out. Hope we put Inglis to fullback and Barba to wing.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

I really do hope Barba gets a run this time. As it'll be interesting to see how well he'll step up to the intensity of Origin Footy..

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Bird looks like he will play.

Glenn Stewart won't.

Slater looks out. Hope we put Inglis to fullback and Barba to wing.
    Dane Neilson hasn't let u guys down in the past & i'd think Meninga will take him ahead of throwing Barba in when its a decider
    #itaintweaktospeak

My brother tells me that he has got me a ticket to the decider at Lang Park. What a LEGEND!

The Thurston/Bowen combination gets my vote and leaving the others where they have been playing well.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Queensland should pick Bowen: Alexander

Mal Meninga is blessed with options to replace injured Queensland fullback Billy Slater but I would go slightly left-field and name Matt Bowen.

Greg Inglis is probably favourite for the Maroons fullback spot given his sensational form from the back for South Sydney this year.

Canterbury's Ben Barba is another leading candidate - he has certainly developed into a State of Origin player this season under new Canterbury coach Des Hasler. Barba would no doubt excel in the Origin furnace.

We also shouldn't forget Darius Boyd - fullback for St George Illawarra in the 2010 grand final and now under Wayne Bennett at Newcastle. Boyd is a proven match-winner at the highest level.

Meninga would be safe with any other of these but I reckon Bowen is the man.

Bowen's form this season at North Queensland has been absolutely first-class. He is experienced, hardened yet still has that striking speed. And, most importantly, I think Bowen would ignite Cowboys teammate Johnathan Thurston. Bowen and Thurston have this uncanny combination at North Queensland. They read each other beautifully.

Thurston has had, for his standards, a quiet series and not that Bowen isn’t good enough to win the fullback spot on his own merits, but the effect his inclusion might have on the Maroons no.6 must surely be part of Mal Meninga’s thinking.

I genuinely believe Inglis would be best left at centre. He has a settled combination with left winger Boyd and moving Inglis would disrupt Meninga's entire backline. There is no real need to reshuffle your backline when Bowen is fit, ready and willing to step in.

Bowen will give the Maroons a real edge in attack. Last Friday against Brisbane, Bowen ran 19 times for 211 metres. He made 15 tackle busts, one linebreak and was involved in two try assists. These stats might just be the clincher in his bid for an Origin recall.

There could be another change to the Queensland side. From all reports, big Dave Taylor is struggling to hold his place. He was disappointing in Origin II and has admitted he let himself down. Sometimes I think Taylor has to be repeatedly told he has the size and power of a freight train.

Taylor should be among the most damaging forwards in the game.

Don't get me wrong, I think he has played a number of strong and powerful games for Souths this year but he just needs to do it on a regular and consistent basis. I would still have him in my 17, just not starting.

I will go into greater depth next week about Origin III but NSW must now feel like they have Queensland's measure.

The Blues aren't and won't be intimidated anymore. The mind games Queensland used to play with NSW are well and truly over.

NSW face their own selection issue after Manly back-rower Glenn Stewart partially tore a medial ligament in Monday night's match against Melbourne at Brookvale. It is a whopping blow for the Blues - Stewart is constantly dangerous on that right edge and also has that natural combination with brother Brett from fullback.

But Glenn is out and NSW must now move on.

In my eyes, coach Ricky Stuart will look at three options: Beau Scott, Ryan Hoffman and Feleti Mateo. My choice: Scott. His form this year has, in all honesty, been modest through injury and playing in a struggling Dragons side.

But Scott is an Origin player. He has represented NSW previously and you know exactly what you're going to get each time he hits the field. He is tough, uncompromising and one of the best defensive players in the NRL.

Some players have that knack of being in average form at NRL level before lifting several notches when it comes to playing Queensland. Scott is one player who can do that. Mind you, NSW would also have to consider Mateo from the New Zealand Warriors.

He wasn’t at his best against Cronulla last week but his form leading into that game had been very good. Mateo would give NSW some creativity and a bit of X-factor. He can slip a ball in traffic and just might be able to come up with a play when needed.

I would throw Mateo in if in fact NSW lose a second back-rower in Greg Bird. Bird damaged a pectoral muscle playing for Gold Coast last weekend and remains in doubt for Origin III at Suncorp Stadium.

The final back-rower to be considered should be Melbourne's Ryan Hoffman.

Hoffman was a tad slow to start the season but over the past six weeks his form has been stellar. I thought he was among Melbourne's best in their 26-22 win over Manly on Monday evening. He’s been there before, runs good lines and won't let you down defensively.

Tony Williams of course would slot back in but he’s at long odds to be fit in time.

Aside from the back row, I think NSW is fairly settled. However there does need some thought as to the right wing spot filled by Akuila Uate. He was criticised after game one with the Maroons scoring two tries in his corner; one was while we were down a man and the inside defenders contributed to the second, so I thought the criticism was unwarranted. Game two also saw him receive plenty of attention for not contesting the Cronk bomb right on half time that saw Queensland take the lead at the break. Definitely a costly error but not unforgivable, such was the quality of the high ball from Cronk.

What concerns me is that Uate isn’t doing what he was picked for and that’s busting tackles. This year to date he’s down 30 per cent in that department which means he’s also well down on the metres made per game. Here’s the theory: just like Sampson lost his strength when his hair was cut, Uate has lost his ability to bust tackles because his backside has disappeared.

He looks more like an 800m runner now, not the powerhouse that burst on to the rep scene last year. Newcastle have run him so hard they’ve stripped away what gave him his edge - he’s 7kg’s lighter than last year. Akuila needs to find a good paddock pretty quickly and get back his mojo, and backside.

Having said that, it is nice to see that outside of injury, NSW has stuck solid with their squad throughout the entire series and their stability could just be the factor that ends Queensland’s dominance.

http://www.nrl.com

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    The Thurston/Bowen combination gets my vote and leaving the others where they have been playing well.
    Yeah...I'm with you
    Thurston needs some combination with him.
    Now the Melborne connection has been disrupted...it gives Mal an opportunity to bring one of the best combinations of the game in....and have it running off Cam Smith.
    Leave Cronk to one side, so he doesn't over control.

Id love to see Bowen get another shot at Origin. I feel he missed many opportunities, especially to the benefit of that mercenary K HUnt.

Brett Stewart, Jarryd Hayne, Michael Jennings, Josh Morris, Brett Morris, Todd Carney, Mitchell Pearce, Tim Grant, Robbie Farah, James Tamou, Greg Bird, Anthony Watmough, Paul Gallen, Tony Williams, Glenn Stewart, Ben Creagh, Trent Merrin, Luke Lewis, Beau Scott.

Im glad they dropped Uate he has done nothing in Origin and nothing at club level.
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by Smakked View Post
    Im glad they dropped Uate he has done nothing in Origin and nothing at club level.
    Uate is injured
    Prince and Sezer in the halves.

Will Glen Stewart be fit?
    I love Aiden Sezer so much I made his profile pic my avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Princey's Titanz View Post
    Uate is injured
    Tough call as Uate punted for Origin III

Steve Jancetic AAP Sun, Jun 24, 2012 - 7:20 PM

NSW coach Ricky Stuart knows Akuila Uate is a potential match-winner for the Blues - which is what made the decision to drop him for the State of Origin decider even harder.

Uate on Sunday paid the price for some crucial defensive lapses in the opening two games of the series, with Stuart recalling St George Illawarra's Brett Morris - who will line up for his sixth Origin appearance at Suncorp Stadium but first alongside twin brother Josh.

Two of Queensland's three tries were scored down Uate's wing in game one while his indecision in not taking a high ball gifted Ben Hannant a four-pointer in the rematch in Sydney.

"It's something that I had to mull over for a number of days and nights, had a number of discussions with Bozo (chief selection adviser Bob Fulton), 'are we making the right choice?," Stuart said.

"... but I've needed to bite the bullet. That's my job.

"It's hard when you've got to make those decisions and calls, you don't like doing it but for our NSW state and supporters, it's a decision I had to make

"I just believe there's an opportunity there to strengthen that edge defensively, but it won't be too long and he'll be back - he won't be gone for too long Akuila.

"It's a tough position to defend, especially when you've got the quality of (Greg) Inglis and (Darius) Boyd on that left edge - they've got a lot of strike there."

But Stuart denied Uate was to solely to blame.

"It's not fair just to look at Aku in regards some of the defensive lapses," Stuart said.

"It starts from the play-the-ball, it starts from the inside of the football, it doesn't just come down to Josh and Aku."
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by Princey's Titanz View Post
    Uate is injured
    Must be playing injured tonight?
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Dammit.
    Prince and Sezer in the halves.