Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Hope I'm wrong

So Nate slides over to cover White, Hendo gets a run on gig and Ryan James goes to the bench.

You would think Dowling would cover Zillman. Maybe even Rankin?
    I love Aiden Sezer so much I made his profile pic my avatar.

It doesn't look good I'll admit but let's not forget some of the Titan's best performances have been with an injury ravaged side. I was a bit worried they'd go into this complacent after last week's win so maybe this'll keep things in check.

Then again, maybe i'm just clutching at straws...

I wonder who Peyroux is on standby for if he's a chance of playing? Maybe Peyroux on the right wing and Mead to fullback!

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

I haven't watched many Dragons games this year, but they seem to be a shadow of previous years. Our injuries are racking up again, but as mentioned thats when our biggest upset have come through.

I hope Dowling gets another run, he was safe as houses. Thats all we would need from a stand-in fullback, there's enough spark in our halves to get enough points to do over the Dragons form of late. Only two games in the last 2months have they scored more than 2 tries, on par with Newcastle and Parra as the lowest scorers in the comp this year.

If our defense stays as good as it has been, and we manage at least three tries - that should be good enough.
    Having James out there bullying Soward will go along way too....
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Dowling deserves another shot. His catching under pressure was excellent against the Sharks.
    Prince and Sezer in the halves.

"Coach John Cartwright has Phil Graham on standby for William Zillman after the fullback left today's training session with a back-hamstring complaint."

wtf is this... this is wat i hate about Cartwright... u give a guy a go, n he gets one game then u never see him, ie walker.
    rather dowling over graham any day of the week. even slot rankin back there. just give dragons the game. sigh sigh

The redeeming factor here is that our halves are in tact and that's where we really need it because as we all know our outside backs do not feature in Cartwright's game plan except to catch kicks and chase down missed tackles from our centres. I would not put Peyroux anywhere except wing but I'll bet he's covering Idris.

1. Graham
    2. Mead
    3. Peyroux
    4. Michaels
    5. Gordon
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Taking Titans on a dozen start at $1.46.
    I love Aiden Sezer so much I made his profile pic my avatar.

I dont think Titans will win this one
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    I dont think Titans will win this one
    Yep - seems everything is pointing to a Dragons win. We will need to pull out a mighty performance like we did at the graveyard a few years back.

I don't think this a make or break game for us, there is plenty of time to sneak into the top 8. After the bye - origin will be out of the way and we will be full strength for the first time this year (barring injury).

We have momentum and players are hitting form at the right time.

In saying all this - I hope we smash the **** out of the Stains.

Mead to get his shot at fullback

TITANS coach John Cartwright is set to unleash speedster David Mead at fullback with a growing injury toll decimating his side for tonight's clash against St George Illawarra.

Regular fullback Will Zillman did not travel with the team yesterday after failing to overcome a chronic back injury while centre Beau Champion (ankle), back-rower Greg Bird (chest) and props Matt White (tonsilitis) and Luke Bailey (ribs) are also unavailable.

Phil Graham, Dominique Peyroux and Steve Michaels have been drafted into the side with Graham and Mead to share the fullback duties.

Mead has been the Titans' most potent backline force this year, leading the team for linebreaks (eight) and tries scored (six).

He amassed 206m and six tackle busts in Gold Coast's 36-18 win over Penrith last Sunday.

Cartwright has seen Mead as a fullback option for some time after he starred for Papua New Guinea at the 2009 Pacific Nations Cup, scoring five tries in two games.

Mead has the pace, strength and elusiveness to excell in the No. 1 jersey and will be given a taste of it for the first time at WIN Stadium when he rotates from the right wing with Graham.

The five-day turnaround was too short for Zillman to overcome a nagging back problem which causes him to have hamstring tightness and Cartwright said they were prepared for the changes.

"We covered there with Phil Graham. They've been training in those positions all year so we'll do what we have to do," he said.

"It's a bit of a dog's brekky at the moment. That's footy. That's the way the season goes.

"You have Origin, injuries and form. That's why you run with 30 (players). If you could guarantee against everything else we'd only need 17 players.

"We've got 30 odd and a few of them get a chance this week."

The Wollongong clash is a pivotal game in the Titans' season with the club to have a bye next weekend.

The Dragons have won just one of their past six matches and Cartwright said a win would put the 10th placed Titans in a good position heading into a week off and guaranteed two points before they return for the post-Origin period.

"It's always important going into a bye. You can go into the game and come out ready for your next one with four points on the table," he said.

"It is a four-point game and that steps us a little bit closer. There's still a long way to go in the competition and if we can win the majority of those games we'll be around there somewhere.

"If we can put them under some pressure they're the ones that are going to be having some doubts.

"We went through it early in the year. When you're losing you can be playing as good as you like but if you don't edge forward on the scoreboard those self doubts creep in."

http://www.goldcoast.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

This is what we've all been waiting for! Mead in the 1...Hope he unleashes hell on the Dragons

Default Injury crisis not fazing Titans

By Laine Clark AAP Thu, Jun 21, 2012 - 5:03 PM

Usually an injury crisis would worry Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright.

But the Titans' well documented off-field problems have put things in perspective for the poker-faced mentor.

Cartwright would have every right to be concerned after prized signing Beau Champion (ankle) and forward Matt White (tonsillitis) were ruled out of Friday night's NRL clash with the Dragons, with a question mark hovering over William Zillman (hamstring).

Especially after his trump card Greg Bird (pectoral) had already been placed on ice for a game that may yet set them up for a top-eight tilt.

However, nothing seems to faze Cartwright these days after enduring some dark days at the Titans - days that finally appear to over.

This week Titans boss Michael Searle told the ARL Commission that he had found three investors who could cover the club's estimated $4 million debt.

To boot, the Gold Coast announced a new naming rights sponsor for the next four years.

Steeled by months of uncertainty swirling around the club, Cartwright backed his depleted side to stake a finals claim in Wollongong as they soaked up the welcome good news.

"That's a box we can tick off now. It's out of the way. It was a major thing but it is done now - that will help us move forward for sure," he said on Thursday.

Not that the 10th-placed Titans had been struggling on the field - they have turned around their horror 1-5 season start by winning four of their last five games to be in sight of the top eight.

Another victory ahead of next round's bye will help their finals push take shape - but Cartwright was not about to start patting backs just yet.

"I am very happy for them. I can sit here and talk until I am blue in the face about how hard they have worked," he said.

"But we are nowhere near where we want to be. If we are talking about the same thing in 10 weeks' time we will be extremely happy.

"We are just two losses away from being told we are in a slump again.

"We are in a position where we can launch. It's up to us now if we do."

Steve Michaels - set to notch game No.100 - will replace Champion in the centres while backs Dominic Peyroux and Phil Graham were brought into the squad to cover the injury concerns.

Graham is on standby for fullback Zillman while White has been cut after spending the last two days in hospital on antibiotics.

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    This is what we've all been waiting for! Mead in the 1...Hope he unleashes hell on the Dragons
    We have? As much as I agree Mead is our best outside back right now and the best backline ball runner, I'd rather him stay where he is. I'm not a fan of moving a player from a position they are excelling at. I would have preferred they gave Dowling another run. I don't think he currently possess all the attributes of a modern day fullback (that's not to say he can't develop them though. He'll be fine under the high ball at fullback, his broken field running will be brilliant, his defense will hold up, his support play should be good, but if he has to pass the ball, we may see some issues.

In saying that if moved to fullback I hope he has a blinder and puts up his hand to make the spot his own.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.