Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default Round 16: St George-Illawarra Dragons vs Gold Coast Titans

St George-Illawarra Dragons vs Gold Coast Titans
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Greg Bird cleared to play State of Origin Game III despite suffering pectoral muscle strain against Penrith
    AAP | June 18, 2012

NSW backrower Greg Bird will miss the Gold Coast Titans' NRL clash with St George Illawarra on Friday night but is considered no risk of missing next month's State of Origin decider.

There were fears Bird faced a long term sidelines stint after being forced off early in the second half of the Titans' win over the Panthers on Sunday with the recurrence of a pectoral injury.

NSW selectors were sweating on scan results on Monday ahead of July 4's Origin series decider in Brisbane.

However, Titans medical staff on Monday said Bird would be fit to again don the Blues jersey after scans revealed a strained pectoral muscle.

A Titans spokesman said Bird would "miss this week for the Titans but be fine for Origin".

Bird is seen as a key to a rare Blues series win after being named NSW players' player in game one and Origin II's man of the match.

Titans teammate Beau Champion (ankle) also received good news from scan results and remains a chance to run out against the Dragons.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/s...-1226398964608

Even if Bird is fit enough to play, we should give him a rest to fix those niggles. We did it without Champion last week so the same should apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Boofhead View Post
    Even if Bird is fit enough to play, we should give him a rest to fix those niggles. We did it without Champion last week so the same should apply.
    Can we afford to? Every week from here on out is basically a final for us. We don't have the luxury to rest players if they are anywhere near close enough to play. Unfortunately, niggles or not, they need to be out there.

Obviously if he's ****ed, he's ****ed though.
    I love Aiden Sezer so much I made his profile pic my avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamal's Hamstring View Post
    Can we afford to? Every week from here on out is basically a final for us. We don't have the luxury to rest players if they are anywhere near close enough to play. Unfortunately, niggles or not, they need to be out there.

Obviously if he's ****ed, he's ****ed though.
    It's a bit of a role of the dice, but it will benefit Birdy especially. Our depth players have been impressive the last month.

3. Michaels
    4. Idris

8. Douglas
    9. Srama
    10. White
    11. Myles
    12. Minichiello
    13. Harrison

14. Lawrence
    15. James
    16. Ridge
    17. O'Dwyer

That doesn't look too bad... I guess maybe with Prince- and Myles and Harrison being a little more rested- we might cover it alright...
    I love Aiden Sezer so much I made his profile pic my avatar.

Is Idris right to go? How is Srama's shoulder? This game will be the real acid test for the also-ran cup. My worry this week is Cooper and Creagh running at our right-side defence.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Dragons: It’s back to basics ... for starters

The St George Illawarra Dragons have devised a simple blueprint to revive their ailing National Rugby League season.

Unsurprisingly, it focuses on them making a vastly improved start to Friday night’s clash with the Gold Coast Titans following their horrendous opening efforts in the loss to the Canterbury Bulldogs.

The camp has spoken about the importance of winning their next two NRL games before their second bye, which would help them keep in touch with the top eight.

St George Illawarra are determined to complete their first five sets of possession against the Titans and not give away any penalties in a back-to-basics approach.

‘‘We’ve got to complete the first five sets and get into the grind,’’ improving lock Jake Marketo said.

‘‘Not complete two and give away a penalty on the fourth tackle like we did [against the Dogs].

‘‘And we dropped the ball, we’ve really got to get a focus for the first 10 minutes.’’

While the Dragons are still in the hunt for a top-eight spot, five losses from their past six games have pushed them to 11th after being fourth following the Anzac Day win over the Roosters.

St George Illawarra face the Gold Coast at WIN Stadium on Friday night before the doomsday trip to Canberra, where they haven’t won since 2000.

‘‘Hopefully we can get the next two wins up and that leads us into the bye,’’ Marketo said.

‘‘So that would be six points and would put us somewhere inside or around the edge of the eight.

‘‘That’s what we’re hoping for in the next couple of weeks.’’

After trailing 28-6 against Canterbury, before reducing the final margin to eight points, Marketo admitted being wary of the Titans, who have won four of their past five games.

‘‘They’ve been on a bit of a winning streak - they touched Penrith up by 20 points [36-18] or something,’’ he said.

‘‘We have to really focus and get the two points this week - that’s our main goal.

‘‘I reckon we trained pretty well [yesterday] morning and tried to stay enthusiastic and do everything well.’’

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Woohoo! God it feels good to be 10th! Haha

Injured Idris hopeful for Dragons clash

TOWERING Titans centre Jamal Idris is set to push through the pain barrier and play in the injury-riddled Titans' crucial clash with St George-Illawarra on Friday night.

Origin star Greg Bird was yesterday ruled out of the clash with a strained pectoral muscle but will play in the State Of Origin decider.

Centre Beau Champion is still hopeful of taking his place with scans revealing the workhorse suffered no major damage to his injured ankle.

Idris said the scheduling of the match with the Dragons was not ideal but the Titans' strike weapon was confident he would win the race against time to recover from an ankle injury for the crucial match.

"I should be sweet to play and I'm slowly getting better," he said.

"I'm still not going to run on it, but I should be back at the back end of the week.

"It's a Friday night game, so it doesn't give me much of a turnaround...but as long as I can get through the 80 minutes, 100 per cent (then I will play)."

The ankle injury is the latest setback in a stop-start season for Idris and the back-line powerhouse is looking forward to finally stringing some games together.

"I'm starting to get stressed out," he said.

"I did my (hamstring), so that kept me off my feet and then I did my plantar fascia and now this.

"For me there is nothing worse than sitting on the sidelines watching the boys and they want me to be on the field and I want to be on the field just as much.

"The sooner I'm back running again, the better for me."

While Idris has spent plenty of time on the wrong side of the white line this season, Luke Douglas has had no such problems.

The relentless forward will line up for his 161st consecutive match this Friday night and said it was important the Titans kept building on their momentum.

Once favourites for the wooden spoon, the Titans are now just four points outside the top eight after winning four of their past five matches.

"It's just taken a couple of months to get to know each other and how we all play," Douglas said.

"We are starting to get that feeling and even the little off-loads in our game on the weekend (were better) and the support play was probably our best of the season."

While confidence was sky-high in the Titans' camp, Douglas said there was still plenty to work on.

" If we want to have a real good season we have to finish off teams and be relentless," he added.

"We did leak in a few late tries (on Sunday) and there were a few holes in our defence that we need to fix up.

"We checked the video (yesterday) and I'm sure Cartwright has a plan there for us, so we will stick to it."

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/

I think Matt White has been fantastic and needs to be re-signed.
    He is bending the line with most carries and would be my most improved over the last 4 weeks.

I was also impressed with Odwyer and from the stands he looked pretty explosive. I also thought he stuck up a good combo with Mead and it was great to see our wingers see some more ball. I not saying to sign Odwyer for next year but his last two games have helped his chances.

Champion described as a workhorse ... more like a hobby horse
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfers66 View Post
    I think Matt White has been fantastic and needs to be re-signed.
    He is bending the line with most carries and would be my most improved over the last 4 weeks.

I was also impressed with Odwyer and from the stands he looked pretty explosive. I also thought he stuck up a good combo with Mead and it was great to see our wingers see some more ball. I not saying to sign Odwyer for next year but his last two games have helped his chances.
    Totally agree with you Surfers66. Whitey appears to have a real mongrel look about him lately and has been fantastic. Chalky was awesome last week, and has been building for the previous 4-6 weeks. If he keeps improving like he has, leave him in the centres.

Strike centres back for Dragons clash
    Adam Gardini | Tuesday 19 June 2012

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans strike centres Jamal Idris and Beau Champion have both been named for Friday night’s Round 16 clash against the St George Illawarra Dragons at WIN Stadium, Wollongong.

Idris missed last weekend’s 36-18 win over Penrith with an ankle injury, while Champion also suffered an ankle injury in the opening exchanges against the Panthers. However, the pair have today been named by Jetstar Titans Coach John Cartwright to take on the Dragons.

State of Origin forward Greg Bird will miss the Dragons clash with a strained pectoral muscle, with Cartwright opting to shift Queensland Origin forward Nate Myles to the starting backrow in his absence and Matt White pushing up to the starting front row.

Centre Steve Michaels has been included on a five-man interchange bench in what will mark his landmark 100th NRL match if given the green light to play.

Jetstar Titans vs Dragons
    7.35pm – WIN Stadium, Wollongong
    Friday, June 22
    1. William Zillman
    2. Kevin Gordon
    3. Jamal Idris
    4. Beau Champion
    5. David Mead
    6. Aidan Sezer
    7. Scott Prince
    8. Luke Douglas
    9. Matt Srama
    10. Matt White
    11. Nate Myles
    12. Mark Minichiello
    13. Ashley Harrison

14. Michael Henderson
    15. Brenton Lawrence
    16. Ben Ridge
    17. Luke O’Dwyer
    19. Steve Michaels

http://www.titans.com.au/news-displa...ns-clash/57478

Hope everyone has NBN, we will be the NSW game with Donkeys playing on Friday too.