Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Prometheus

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    I think the planet they were on was a military outpost for biological warefare development. Safely far away from their home planet.
    Yeah, I had that idea too, but like you say, why would they make that the future rally point? I thought it was their planet but they had been wiped out by the bacteria and it just needed a good clean by the maid. But then that wouldn't explain why they lived on a planet with the wrong atmosphere, assuming they are O2 breathers like us (which the movie suggests), so now I can see your point is probably most valid. Just illustrates the stupidity of painting invitations in caves to a party at a military outpost 500 Million K's away in the remote hope someone might turn up thousands of years later.

I am so disappointed that after 30+ years, that the Engineer is just a giant humanoid who needs some sun.
    Haha, best quote. We could do with a couple of engineers in the backrow.

Also, Weyland INC funded the mission for a trillion space bucks and the owner of the biggest company in the galaxy is also on board. Well I'd have a far better crew than the bunch of opportunitic academic mercenaries and hippies. Special forces baby.
    This was where I just gave up on the whole movie, 15 minutes in, when after waking from their 2 year slumber they decided it was a good time to meet each other and start the introductions.

First question, who was the HR manager who employed this bunch of misfits (apart from Mr Weyland picking the hippies), and who actually trained them up for the journey?

Imagine the ad in the employment classified, "Must like travel".

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    Imagine the ad in the employment classified, "Must like travel".
    Hahahaha ahhhh love it. The good thing about sci fi is the debates and discussions you can have. But there isnt enough skeleton there for it to stand up on its two feet.

Also dont forget the xenomorph/alien mural in the vase chamber.

I heard they cut out alot of the Weyland scenes, Guy Pearce filmed scenes as a younger Weyland which may have really added to the story and fleshed out this David, Vickers and Weyland dynamic. Father, daughter? and manufactured son David.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I think we should talk about movies alot more on the Titans forum.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

I took the beginning scene to mean that the Engineer was sacrificing his life to spread the DNA. Maybe he was a captive or drew the short straw, or maybe just benevolent but it did seem to be a willing sacrifice.

Diehard, you mentioned Guy Pearce filming scenes as a younger version of himself. That was part of the viral marketing campaign and on the Welyand website I believe, not a deleted scene, although there may also be deleted scenes of it. I did find it odd that they cast Pearce as such an old character when there are plenty of old actors that could have pulled it off convincingly.

Still, like i said earlier, my major gripe with this is that it really did feel like a trailer for Prometheus 2 (which is already in talks last I checked). So many things weren't clear to me: what was with the holographic images? what were they running from? what was the giant head statue?

I haven't seen any of the original alien movies though, so maybe I needed to watch that for some backstory?

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    I haven't seen any of the original alien movies though, so maybe I needed to watch that for some backstory?
    Wow you really need to watch Alien and Aliens. But make sure you do it in style. Boy you are in for a treat!

On Pearce, you are right, why engage a young actor when there is any number of veteran actors out there who would do a great job. It pops the suspension of belief to invest more time trying to mentally undress Weyland to find Pearce than simply taking him as the character.

I agree about it being a trailer, but more so because of the choppy nature of the film. Just hit you with so many concepts that werent fleshed out.

I hope they make another one though.

A healthy sci fi movie should leave areas for fans to speculate and imagine about. But you need to leave clues and direction at least. I fear the gaps were too wide.

soltaran from classic who

Haha I'm waiting to watch them on Blu-ray. From your previous posts, i'm guessing you don't recommend Aliens V Predators?

Alien vs Predators... meh, I have seen it... and the plot itself is nothing new to me...
    Aiming for the title farthest away fan

Haha I'm waiting to watch them on Blu-ray. From your previous posts, i'm guessing you don't recommend Aliens V Predators?
    The second is better than the first.

The first touches on Weyland Yutani origin and also stars the actor who played Bishop in Aliens. But they tampered with the Aliens too much imo among other things.

Also I think they dumbed it down to get a lighter rating. Which like DIEHARD4, damaged it.

Bishop is the android equivalent from the original movies from what I've heard? How does that portrayal of android compare with the actor that plays David? Among other things, I thought David was one of the shining lights of Prometheus, especially when he asks the guy something along the lines of 'Can you imagine how disappointing it would be if the Engineers just told him they made us "cause we could"'.

Bishop is the android equivalent from the original movies from what I've heard? How does that portrayal of android compare with the actor that plays David? Among other things, I thought David was one of the shining lights of Prometheus, especially when he asks the guy something along the lines of 'Can you imagine how disappointing it would be if the Engineers just told him they made us "cause we could"'.
    David got all the best lines and there was plenty of room to give him more.

That line you mention was particularly awesome.

Ash is the android from Alien and Bishop was the android from Aliens and a cameo in Alien3.

So disappointed with this movie, this and the Hobbit which turned out to be more of a video game than a classy movie.