Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prometheus

Default Prometheus

Went & watched Prometheus today & thought it was excellent, if u are a Sci Fi fan espescially an Aliens fan u will love it, with the door left open for a sequel or not
    #itaintweaktospeak

A sequel like Alien!

Mate I love Sci Fi, love Ridley Scott and love the pure Alien franchise.

It's awesome!
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    A sequel like Alien!

Mate I love Sci Fi, love Ridley Scott and love the pure Alien franchise.

It's awesome!
    Possibly but with the Ship leaving , leaves another door open for something new
    #itaintweaktospeak

I'm just being cheeky.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Haven't watched a sci-fi for yonks but downloaded it last night and will have a look tonight :-)
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

watched it just before , sadly i was with the gf and missed half of it haha

If winning isn't everything, then why do they keep score?

I saw it the other day. Stupidest movie I've seen in a long time.
    It was 2 hours of pointless, ill-conceived ideas just so that they could have a 90 second tie-in at the end.

I guess if you just like science fiction with no technical fore thought, then it might appeal, but the original Star Trek series showed a better ability to understand technology advances in the future than this latest blockbuster from Ridley Scott.

Oh, and the opening scene makes the whole movie pointless, because it is in complete contradiction of what the premise of the movie is about.

I tend to agree with you C-Whiz. While it looked pretty great, I couldn't help but feel it was less of a movie and more of a 2hour trailer for Prometheus 2. Although might I ask what you mean when you say the opening scene is a contradiction of the premise?

That was us being shown the engineers planting their DNA and seeds of life from which organisms, such as humans could grow and evolve from. For whatever reason that wasn't explained, we pissed them off so they wanted to come back and destroy us all.

i think it didnt live up to expectation

If winning isn't everything, then why do they keep score?

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    Although might I ask what you mean when you say the opening scene is a contradiction of the premise?

That was us being shown the engineers planting their DNA and seeds of life from which organisms, such as humans could grow and evolve from. For whatever reason that wasn't explained, we pissed them off so they wanted to come back and destroy us all.
    I understand the DNA being spread to "pollinate", but maybe I misunderstood why he was eaten indise out. I thought that was something to do with the "bacteria"? Maybe I over-read it. Anyway, what was wrong with just colonizing??

Another question, and I know it's "just a movie", but why do inter-gallactic space travelers who want to create new life on remote planets with the view that one day their genetic offspring may want to "find" their ancestors, so they choose to leave cryptic child like drawings scribbled in caves around the world, written in crayon, with a vague chance some scientist will crack the 5 star mystery as a "sign" and then find that point 500 Million K's away among a billion other stars?

I'm of the opinion that if you are going to try and make a back-story, at least try and make it plausible. otherwise it would have been better to have an intergallactic space battle, with a doomed spaceship crashing to earth and scattering DNA everywhere, etc.........

Oh, one other thing, 60 years in the future, when we can travel to distant galaxies and create artificial life forms that replicate human behaviour, yet we are still carrying hand held torches to light our way in the dark. Classic!

The problem with it is it is brilliantly conceived and designed.

But it tried to do too many things at once and none brilliantly. There is also no real protagonist and several antagonists. The movie kind of coasts along.

And there is silly plot devices like why David is so chumy at the end (Obviously self preservation) and why Elizabeth suddenly trusts him, why you wouldnt want them to go to Earth but you are quite happy to go to their home planet and poke the hornets nest.

I think they demystified the Engineers (They look like Soltarans from Dr Who and have no character, only ME ANGRY DESTROY!) I was really disappointed with the apparent mutation of the "alien".

And it wasnt even the planet the nostromo lands on in Alien.

Then they downgrade the granduer of the Engineer's ship by finding another one so easy and easily piloting it in search of the Engineer's home planet. (The last thing Id do). They are basically gallactic New York taxi cabs!

It was far better to only have one surviving ship from an extinct super civilisation. Like an evil Noah's Ark.

Also in the scene when Elizabeth and Vickers run away from the crashing ship, they run straight ahead when running sidewides would save them. Then Elizabeth falls and then rolls about 3 metres to the left, which saves her.

It's a bit like Star Wars Episode 1 for me, a disappointment seening it is my favourite director and movie franchise.

It is also never established if the Captain banged Vickers. If it was a joke. If she did, it was a sudden character change.

On the positives, the effects were amazing. I thought the acting was ok. David was a great character and how creepy was it that he watched peoples dreams? It was awesome to see inside the Engineer's ship, after waiting all my life.

How cool was it when that snake alien snapped that guys arm and then plunges through his helmet? Wow.

The medical capsule was an awesome invention.

I reckon there were stacks of deleted scenes, so I look forward to the DVD.

I hope they have a sequel, it wasn't the movie I'd have made. But it was a damn sight better than any AvP piece of ****.

LOL@ the part where the ship was rolling and they kept running forward.

So, what was with the beginning when the Engineer has a swig of his Nescafe and starts to go to peices? I understand that was how the DNA spread, but was it a mutation or was it by design? I thought he had been infected, so maybe I jumped to the wrong conclusion on that one...

I just didn't see why they couldn't have just colonised. Earth seems a whole lot better than the ****ty planet they were living on.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    I just didn't see why they couldn't have just colonised. Earth seems a whole lot better than the ****ty planet they were living on.
    I think the planet they were on was a military outpost for biological warefare development. Safely far away from their home planet.

But then why all this invitation bull**** and invite them to a military base? And that plot was redundant as soon as they decide they hate us. 2000 years ago they were going to wipe us out, so is it pay back for Jesus? But that wasnt even explained.

The opening scene doesnt make sense and if they truly wanted it to be a different substance they need to illustrate it. Or if the substance can be modified like nanotech, then well that just doesnt translate to cinema.

I am so disappointed that after 30+ years, that the Engineer is just a giant humanoid who needs some sun.

And I am so with you on the space flight and the date. Its too soon in our future. And further, not only can they travel long distances but they seem totally bored and unimpressed by it. Like catching an intergallatic greyhound bus.

Also, Weyland INC funded the mission for a trillion space bucks and the owner of the biggest company in the galaxy is also on board. Well I'd have a far better crew than the bunch of opportunitic academic mercenaries and hippies. Special forces baby.
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 25-06-12 at 10:34 AM.

I thought they could have used the alien holograms and David to better tell the story. Maybe treat it like a mystery investigation that needs to be solved. Find out what happened and piece it together, then realise that its happening again and try and prevent it. They only touched on this in a shallow fashion.