Junior

Default Gold Coast Titans prop Matt White is playing for his NRL future when he starts in NRL

GOLD Coast forward Matt White knows he is playing for his immediate NRL future when he gets his first chance at starting prop this year in Sunday's clash with Cronulla.

Off contract and currently in negotiations to extend his tenure on the Coast, White knows he needs a big performance to convince the club to settle his future quickly.

The 28-year-old revealed other clubs had shown interest in him and although he was keen to remain on the Coast, he admitted it had been unsettling as the club recruited heavily in the forward pack in recent years including Luke Douglas, Nate Myles, and most recently David Taylor for next season.

"It will be good on the weekend to push my case. Hopefully I can get a few more games so I can stay here," White said.

"There has been a bit of interest with other clubs but it'd be good to stay here, that is my goal.

"It is a little bit (worrying), but you've just got to keep playing good footy I suppose and put your best foot forward and try to get a new contract.

"The last couple of weeks have probably been my better games of the year and I've been punching out a few minutes."

Proving just how raw the Titans pack will be on Sunday due to injury and Origin duty, White's starting partner in the fron- row, Brenton Lawrence, will be getting his first start in just 13 NRL games.

Their opponents, Bryce Gibbs and Ben Ross, have played well over 100 NRL games and won premierships earlier in their careers at previous clubs.

"It means a lot actually. It's a big deal to start, it's very different to coming off the bench," Lawrence said.

"Everybody is fresh so you really need to aim up and come out firing.

"I would love to keep starting, it's a professional goal of mine. Whether that happens sooner or later, you just take the opportunities when they come and this one has come up so I want to make the most of it."

i think Matt White is a good bench prop and good for depth.

i hope we keep him as we need honest toilers to go with our superstar forwards.

Is BJ off contract next year? I thought he had one more after this one, but seem to remember seeing somewhere on here this is his last?
    I love Aiden Sezer so much I made his profile pic my avatar.

James' fitness is what interests me ... White will stay as we were his lifeline and Lawrence the same.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    James' fitness is what interests me ... White will stay as we were his lifeline and Lawrence the same.
    I put mini in that category too.