Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Carty is a very good props coach. Teaches the trade of how to be a good forward really well. Titans make good metres. We are up there as probably the 6th best defensive team in the comp. What Carty cant do is teach the art of scoring tries. Thats why we are the worst attacking team in the comp.

Carney is going to be a big loss for the Sharks. I cant see anyone from the Sharks putting their hand up and leading the team to victory. Titans have good forward depth so the loss of Myles, Harro and Bird isnt overly huge as it seems.
    2013 - Sezer's breakout year

Quote Originally Posted by chicbarn View Post
    Page is a 21-year-old prop that has been average in the Queensland Cup. I don't see how people can demand he be selected in the NRL when he can't even dominate second grade. Josh McGuire killed it in the QCup a couple of years ago and couldn't get a run with the Broncos. You need sustained performances to push for NRL selection. It's a big step up from the cream puff under-20s to NRL.
    I watched Page come through the ranks of the 20's & he was the best of probably the worst under 20's forward pack in the comp last season & after watching him in a few games this year in theQ Cup he looks to be a year or 2 from making the step up to1st grade..

Just take a look at a previous under 20's prop who left the Titans for greener pastures in Vave , he couldn't make the Sharks top squad & is only now 3 years down the track looking a 1st grader for the Storm, forwards definatley mature at a later age

Page to play 1st grade in 2014.
    #itaintweaktospeak

So we are the 2nd best defensive team behind the Storms? Thats good.

Watch Out Sharks: Cronulla need to avoid frustration and keep composed against a Titans defence that has stunned their opponents recently. In fact, the Gold Coast rank behind only the Storm for defensive efforts over the past month, surrendering just 13.3 points a game.
    Prince?

The Sharks need to be sure about passing long and wide from the ruck – Scott Prince leads the league for intercepts and will be sniffing around for an easy kill all night.
    http://www.nrl.com/sharks-v-titans-p...7/default.aspx
    2013 - Sezer's breakout year

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Sezer View Post
    Titans have good forward depth so the loss of Myles, Harro and Bird isnt overly huge as it seems.
    Don't forget Bailey as well... I can't see two many teams that wouldn't be dulled by losing four like that.

White and BJ are our starting props aren't they? These are both blokes scraping for the regular bench spot. Great to see them get the opportunity but I'm not expecting the same kind of meters we have been making of late.

I am really hoping they surprise the **** out of me though!
    I love Aiden Sezer so much I made his profile pic my avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamal's Hamstring View Post
    Don't forget Bailey as well... I can't see two many teams that wouldn't be dulled by losing four like that.

White and BJ are our starting props aren't they? These are both blokes scraping for the regular bench spot. Great to see them get the opportunity but I'm not expecting the same kind of meters we have been making of late.

I am really hoping they surprise the **** out of me though!
    I have a feeling BJ and White will get the job done. I have uttermost faith in them.
    Prince and Sezer in the halves.

Quote Originally Posted by Princey's Titanz View Post
    I have a feeling BJ and White will get the job done. I have uttermost faith in them.
    Yep ... I am more worried about the resilience of the back row and the fitness of the bench.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Wink

imagine next year when we lose Bird, Harro, Myles, AND David Taylor for origin.

Wow I'm feeling the pride coming back! We are such a dark horse team in 2012!
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Yeah same here but i am concerned with off field stuff, i can see us going well then come finals we run out of money and are goooonnneeee
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

Sharks v Titans preview

Nigel Wall NRL.com Wed, Jun 06, 2012 - 2:50 PM

Cronulla Sutherland Sharks v Gold Coast Titans
    Toyota Stadium
    Sunday 2pm

Long-suffering fans in the Shire will have their fingers crossed that their team?s recent bumpy ride is the result of just a shallow pothole on their road to a spot high up in the top eight.

Following consecutive losses to the Bulldogs and Eels, the Sharks find themselves sitting in sixth place at the midpoint of the season. A month ago they held sole possession of second place on the NRL ladder; they are now in a logjam of five sides on 16 competition points.

Cronulla?s nerve is certain to be tested again this week, up against the resurgent Titans who have won three on the trot to catapult back into semi-finals reckoning. John Cartwright?s men, wooden spoon candidates when the Sharks were at their peak a month ago, now sit in 10th place but just one win outside the top eight. They have shown grit and substance in their wins over the Bulldogs, Knights and Cowboys, with blockbusting centre Jamal Idris starting to up his involvement and rookie five-eighth Aidan Sezer impressing and growing in confidence every week.

Meanwhile the Sharks were ambushed by a committed Eels outfit last Monday night. With the knives out for their coach Stephen Kearney and also some of their under-achieving players, the Eels defied Cronulla?s early ascendancy to storm home convincing winners.

However, Sharks coach Shane Flanagan will be disappointed with the lack of intensity they showed in the second half and will have impressed upon his roster the fine line between playing in the semi-finals and watching from the stands.

The shame this week is that both outfits will be weakened by key Origin absentees: Paul Gallen and Todd Carney for the Sharks; and Nate Myles, Greg Bird and Ashley Harrison for the Titans.

Cronulla struggled without their star duo when they lost to the Bulldogs the weekend before Origin I, while the Titans had the luxury of the bye. This match-up will be their toughest test yet as they set about registering a fourth win in a row ? especially given they will also be without prop Luke Bailey who injured his ribs in last week?s win over the Cowboys.

With Carney missing Chad Townsend makes his 2012 debut in the Sharks? No.6, with Wade Graham covering for Paul Gallen at lock. Sam Tagataese and Jon Green have been added to their extended interchange.

Meanwhile John Cartwright has named Brenton Lawrence and Matt White to start at prop (for Bailey and Myles) with Luke Douglas to start in the second row (for Greg Bird). Luke O?Dwyer is Ashley Harrison?s substitute at lock.

In a huge boost, boom forward Ryan James has been named to make his 2012 debut after a long layoff with injury, with Michael Henderson and Steve Michaels the other new faces on their interchange bench.

It?s a huge game for Sharks centre Colin Best who suits up for his 250th NRL game (and 114th in Sharks colours).

Watch Out Sharks: Cronulla need to avoid frustration and keep composed against a Titans defence that has stunned their opponents recently. In fact, the Gold Coast rank behind only the Storm for defensive efforts over the past month, surrendering just 13.3 points a game.

The Sharks need to be sure about passing long and wide from the ruck ? Scott Prince leads the league for intercepts and will be sniffing around for an easy kill all night.

Luke Douglas returns to the Shire to face the Sharks for the first time. The former Toyota Stadium fan favourite has scored seven tries at the venue and secured 31 wins. He?ll be pumped for some landmark figures this Sunday: Douglas requires just one more run and tackle to record a personal milestone of 2000 career runs and 5000 tackles.

Danger Sign: The Sharks showed an alarming drop in intensity in the second half of their clash with the Eels and if they repeat that performance here they?ll get burned. Cronulla missed just five tackles in the opening 40 minutes against Parra ? but missed a staggering 25 in the second 40. Shane Flanagan will be demanding better.

Watch Out Titans: The Sharks will present a huge threat offloading on both edges. They rank second overall in 2012, with 13.3 a game. Their centres Ben Pomeroy and Colin Best have combined for 37 offloads so far ? the most by any centre pairing. The Titans concede the fifth-most offloads (11.5). Also, Pomeroy and Best lead the NRL for line-breaks among centres, with a combined 11.

Hooker Isaac De Gois will need to be watched when he runs a lateral line out of dummy-half from close range ? his deception put Colin Best over last Monday night.

The Titans need to be mindful of trailing supports ? the Sharks have tallied 548 support plays so far, second only to North Queensland.

Danger Sign: If the Sharks target the right side of the field you?ll know they sense weakness given the Titans have leaked 20 tries on that edge compared to just 10 via their right-side defence. Also, the Titans have conceded 12 tries around their goal-posts, the second most to date.

Aidan Sezer v Chad Townsend: It?s the battle of the rookie (Sezer) versus the near-rookie, (Townsend) with these playmakers tallying just 17 NRL games between them (Townsend 11, Sezer six). It?s no coincidence the Titans? winning streak coincides with the emergence of Sezer as a force at five-eighth. In their wins over the Bulldogs and the Knights he ran a total of 20 times but was more reserved last week up against Johnathan Thurston, running just once and leaving the majority of the decision-making to Scott Prince. But no question he?ll test out his inexperienced opposite with more runs this week. Meanwhile big things are expected from Townsend; he played exclusively at halfback in 2011 so much will depend on his ability to slot in at pivot, obviously a key role for the Sharks given Carney?s input.

Where It Will Be Won: Discipline with the football. This clash brings together the two worst sides at committing errors, with the Titans bottom of the barrel with 12.3 mistakes each week, closely followed by the Sharks with 11.8. While the Titans got away with surrendering the Cowboys a mountain of possession early on last week, they won?t want to push their luck a second week running. Whichever side shows more composure and completes their sets will win.

The History: Played 8; Sharks 4, Titans 4. Cronulla boast a 3-1 advantage in games played in the Shire ? although the Titans won the last meeting there (see below). Also, the Sharks secured their biggest win over the Gold Coast in 2011, winning 36-12 at Skilled Park (Round 16).

The Last Time They Met: The Titans beat the Sharks 20-16 at Toyota Stadium in Round 22 last year in a clash that featured arguably the best pick-up to score in the history of the game.

Titans winger David Mead opened the scoring in the third minute when he latched onto a Jordan Rankin cut-out pass to dive over in the right corner, with Scott Prince converting from the sideline for a 4-nil lead.

Cronulla drew level when hooker John Morris darted out of dummy-half 10 metres out from the Titans goal line and dummied his way over. The Titans edged ahead when Scott Prince piloted over a penalty goal before the star halfback combined with Mead for a truly highlights reel moment: in the 35th minute from a play-the-ball on the left edge the Titans spread the ball right, with Prince chipping for the right corner post for his flying winger. The kick looked like it had too much weight on it and was heading over the sideline before Mead snatched it one-handed on the half-volley just a metre out, then grounded for a miraculous try and a 12-4 lead at the break.

The Sharks pulled to within two points with a Nathan Stapleton penalty goal soon after the resumption before William Zillman took advantage of a quick play-the-ball to charge over from first receiver for the Titans to extend their lead to 18-6.

Ben Pomeroy bridged the deficit to 18-12 in the 53rd minute before another Scott Prince penalty goal gave the visitors breathing space with 18 minutes remaining.

A try to Sharks winger Ricky Leutele with three minutes remaining gave Sharks fans hope but the Titans held firm.

It was a stellar effort by the Titans ? they were savaged in the penalty count (10-3) and had to make a massive 98 more tackles than the home side. Cronulla tried to run their opponents off their feet, making a whopping 21 offloads and seven line-breaks.

The Titans were well-served by David Mead and back-rower Mark Minichiello (12 runs for 125 metres plus a game-high seven tackle busts) while fullback Isaac Gordon ran 235 metres for the Sharks.

Match Officials: Referees ? Jason Robinson & Gavin Badger; Sideline Officials ? Dan Eastwood & Nick Beashel; Video Referee ? Sean Hampstead.

The Way We See It: The Titans have the momentum but the Sharks are better than their past fortnight. It all boils down to which side can cover for the loss of their Origin stars better. We?ll tip the Titans to continue their streak, by four points.

Televised: Fox Sports 2 ? Live 2pm.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    imagine next year when we lose Bird, Harro, Myles, AND David Taylor for origin.
    Harrison won't be in the Origin mix next year, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    It's never been a colour thing

Quote Originally Posted by Smakked View Post
    Yeah same here but i am concerned with off field stuff, i can see us going well then come finals we run out of money and are goooonnneeee
    Got to get there first but the NRL won't let us roll over mid-season.

? The Titans are looking for their 4th straight win
    ? 4 of the 5 Gold Coast wins this year have been away from home.
    ? The Sharks have hit the wall a little having won just 1 of their last 4 games.
    ? Colin Best celebrates game 250.
    ? The have claimed just 1 win form 4 attempts at Toyota Stadium.
    ? Last Meeting – Gold Coast 20-16 @ Toyota Stadium 2011
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Dad View Post
    Maguire was given a go in Q,Cup and built on his performances. Page simply has not been given a go due to the relationship between Carty and the Walkers. How do you get to Dominate when you aren't given a go...
    What do you mean he hasn't been given a go? He's played every game for Ipswich this year. If he's not good enough to earn a starting spot then why would the coach start him? If you watched the tv game on the weekend you'll understand why he's on the bench. You earn chances, they aren't gifted.

Quote Originally Posted by chicbarn View Post
    What do you mean he hasn't been given a go? He's played every game for Ipswich this year. If he's not good enough to earn a starting spot then why would the coach start him? If you watched the tv game on the weekend you'll understand why he's on the bench. You earn chances, they aren't gifted.
    Agreed.. Page is a very basic front rower, he's to young for first grade and just isn't really making enough of an impact.. I can't ever see him getting a run here and not because he is hated by carty... Because we just have better props then him..

My opinion of our props pecking order:
    Bailey, Douglas, James, Lawrence, White, Page,

Daylight

Henderson

Ah ha, I'd forgotten about Daylight.