Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11

+1 Backpacking Titan.

I watched the replay last night, and I'm not getting quite as excited as others on here. Bird was fantastic, Srama very good, among others who have really grown and come together as a team. We are looking so much better, but still have a fair way to go before we look like a finals bound team.

Sure, a win is a win, but we wouldn't have won against half the competition IMO with the mistakes, lost ball etc we showed, as better teams would have punished us, mainly with 6 pointers, not to mention the last 15 mins when we went to sleep and even then the Knights struggled to score against us.

We'd want to be better against the Cowboys. And almost every other team.

Idris.... made about 2 bustling runs, late in the game, dragging some defenders with him, but seems to either have no confidence (won't run at the line, always either crabbing sideways or looking for a cheap offload) or just isn't ready for 1st grade. People are getting excited about his ball to Mini, but FFS people, he is meant to be running off Mini, not the other way around!!

That first try to the Knights was scored because he let his opposite man get around him, and that is no small feat considering his current girth.
    Last edited by C-Whiz; 28-05-12 at 08:22 AM.

BPT and CW +1

Firstly, diet is as important to a professional athlete as are drug and alcohol issues ... Cartwright's comments smack of either a cover-up or a moron.

Secondly, our left side defence is really poor. Idris and Gordon are cheap points for any side that can exploit that. The strange thing about that is we have had that problem for ever. Michaels, Rogers and so on but there are two constants there: Bird is probably our best player and maybe he is doing too much racing out of the line while Gordon suffers from being outside Idris in defence but in attack is not hitting the ball at pace and when in the clear last weekend he nearly marked time. I know he one of our favourite sons but hard decisions need to be considered.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    +1 Backpacking Titan.

I watched the replay last night, and I'm not getting quite as excited as others on here. Bird was fantastic, Srama very good, among others who have really grown and come together as a team. We are looking so much better, but still have a fair way to go before we look like a finals bound team.

Sure, a win is a win, but we wouldn't have won against half the competition IMO with the mistakes, lost ball etc we showed, as better teams would have punished us, mainly with 6 pointers, not to mention the last 15 mins when we went to sleep and even then the Knights struggled to score against us.

We'd want to be better against the Cowboys. And almost every other team.

Idris.... made about 2 bustling runs, late in the game, dragging some defenders with him, but seems to either have no confidence (won't run at the line, always either crabbing sideways or looking for a cheap offload) or just isn't ready for 1st grade. People are getting excited about his ball to Mini, but FFS people, he is meant to be running off Mini, not the other way around!!

That first try to the Knights was scored because he let his opposite man get around him, and that is no small feat considering his current girth.
    I agree, we are not a top 8 side based on the way we are playing at the moment. We are a top 8 side when it comes to grinding into good position on the ground, but our structure / shape and set plays in the opposition half are substandard and to me that comes down to coaching. I haven't been to a Titans training session, so I haven't seen what the shape of the back line looks like when they train, but I could only assume it is similar to what we have seen on the filed over the years, maybe someone could enlighten me if it is different and the players aren't doing what they are supposed to on the field. For the entirety of the Titans existence, we have never had a well structure backline nor have we run any good set plays involving the backs.

Obviously Storm are the bench mark in this area, just look how every knows where to be in attack the opposition half and how quickly they are get into position. They structured team who can run their plays with fluency. It is as a result of their quality coaching and training.

Even Wynum Manly Seagulls in the QRL play with better structure in attack then the Titans ever have. I think Paul Green is doing a fantastic job with that club.

Here a few comments from the post match press confrences. It gives an indication of how other coaches see us and how coach sees us.

Wayne Bennet: They didn't put any great plays on us to get those points. They didn't have to work hard to get those trys, that's the dissapointing part. They didn't throw great shape at us or bamboosal us or make us second guess ourselves.

Carty: A few repeat sets, built some pressure and them came up with some nice tries.

I wouldn't really call them nice tries, it was more the Knights defense being as leaky as a siv that let us in
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamwelg View Post
    I agree, we are not a top 8 side based on the way we are playing at the moment. We are a top 8 side when it comes to grinding into good position on the ground, but our structure / shape and set plays in the opposition half are substandard and to me that comes down to coaching. I haven't been to a Titans training session, so I haven't seen what the shape of the back line looks like when they train, but I could only assume it is similar to what we have seen on the filed over the years, maybe someone could enlighten me if it is different and the players aren't doing what they are supposed to on the field. For the entirety of the Titans existence, we have never had a well structure backline nor have we run any good set plays involving the backs.

Obviously Storm are the bench mark in this area, just look how every knows where to be in attack the opposition half and how quickly they are get into position. They structured team who can run their plays with fluency. It is as a result of their quality coaching and training.

Even Wynum Manly Seagulls in the QRL play with better structure in attack then the Titans ever have. I think Paul Green is doing a fantastic job with that club.

Here a few comments from the post match press confrences. It gives an indication of how other coaches see us and how coach sees us.

Wayne Bennet: They didn't put any great plays on us to get those points. They didn't have to work hard to get those trys, that's the dissapointing part. They didn't throw great shape at us or bamboosal us or make us second guess ourselves.

Carty: A few repeat sets, built some pressure and them came up with some nice tries.

I wouldn't really call them nice tries, it was more the Knights defense being as leaky as a siv that let us in
    Great post Tam.

Knights fans must have been sickened by Bird's tries - but we know they feel. Mullen's attempt at a tackle was very reminiscent of many plays put on (or not put on...) by our captain courageous.

We need to win 7 of our next 10 games to be a realistic chance of making a run at the 8 but even if we do get there we will just be making up the numbers.

I'm still enjoying the win though, and it is a state of mind I want to carry for the next few weeks!!

I'm just happy to get wins on the board while we are finding our way.

In the first 7 rounds we lost to roosters Canberra and doggies in games we could have won, and we needed to fix that problem which we have.

The next step is to win games convincingly and consistently.

We may look back in a month and realise these scrappy wins were the little snowball gathering momentum and size.

QLD Cup

Great to go into a new week after a win but after two years of disappointment I'm not keen on getting my hopes up. The knights were pretty ordinary. If we can convincingly beat the Cowboys this week I 'll feel better but to get into the eight we would need to be very consistent to jump the log jam of other teams just a few points out of the eight. But, I'll take one week of joy at this stage.