Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Princey's Titanz View Post
    What happened to Corey Parker?
    Spends half his time on his back...we want quick play-the-balls!

Jee thats a shocking looking side QLD put out, no hope i say.
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by Princey's Titanz View Post
    What happened to Corey Parker?
    He's training for a running backwards race with Creagh.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Default Five crucial Origin I match-ups

Five crucial Origin I match-ups

Greg Alexander NRL.com Thu, May 17, 2012 - 8:20 AM

It is time to say what most people believe is impossible. Yes, NSW can win this year's State of Origin series.

Despite them being written off by the media, critics, fans and bookmakers, I like the look of this Blues side and I certainly like how coach Ricky Stuart has prepared for the three-game series.

It has been a meticulously planned preparation and NSW will be looking for a good old-fashioned ambush next Wednesday night in Melbourne.

But to win, NSW's star players must get the better of their high-profile Queensland opponents - they must score individual victories.

Here are what I believe to be the five biggest and most crucial match-ups for Origin I.

ROBBIE FARAH v CAMERON SMITH

There has been so much written and said about Farah but I'm glad he secured the hooking spot.

His creativity and kicking game will be invaluable to NSW and he formed a strong partnership with halfback Mitchell Pearce in the City side.

Farah's form has been good for Wests Tigers without being spectacular. We need a team that can score points and Farah is a dummy half with halfback skills.

Although he mightn?t be the player directly responsible for getting us across the line, his work out of dummy half with the forward pack will be the key to getting the Maroons defence on the back foot ? creating room for the halves and the speed men on the edges. It all starts at the ruck.

Smith, well, what more can you say? He is one of the finest, if not the best, hooker of the modern era. He?s arguably been the most important member of the team during their six series wins. He?ll lead the Maroons this time around and through his efforts will look to continue the dominance they?ve had over NSW in the middle of the field.

Farah v Smith will be an enthralling battle. Farah will have to be at his very best in the Origin furnace to come out on top.

TONY WILLIAMS v DAVE TAYLOR

Can you imagine the 240kgs collision here! Without doubt the two most destructive forwards in the game. The selection of Williams is a gamble though, with him having not played for just on nine weeks when he runs on to Etihad Stadium. Having said that I thought it was a necessary risk. Potentially he is a match winner, his ability to bust a defensive line with that massive frame makes him a unique X-factor the Blues have been lacking.

I just hope he?s been training as hard as the Sea Eagles say he?s been, because watching him do some work at Penrith on Monday afternoon he did look extra big. With the pace an Origin game is played at, I can only imagine Ricky Stuart getting 15-20 minutes maximum each half out of the Manly monster. Let?s hope that?s enough.

Taylor has been in grand form for Souths. He is probably playing the best football of his career. Big, fast and aggressive - Dave Taylor is made for State of Origin. This match-up will shake Etihad Stadium.

TODD CARNEY v JOHNATHAN THURSTON

Carney's performances have improved every game for Cronulla and he enters this match in sparkling form. His passing and running games are certainly back to where they were in 2010 when Carney won the Dally M Medal and guided the Sydney Roosters to the NRL grand final. I don?t know whether he?ll get the space to drift across the field that he does so successfully at club level, but he?s shown he can tear defences apart by playing direct and using that big right foot step.

Either way, Carney possess the game to be a huge threat to the Queenslanders.

I also like the fact he will link with Pearce - his good mate - again at the NSW scrum-base. The pair were magic together in 2010 at Bondi.

Thurston, the best No.7 in the game for so many years, now becomes the best five-eighth in the game. The player that asks more questions of a defensive line than any other in the competition comes into Origin in great form. Making him all the more dangerous will be his motivation to impress in Darren Lockyer?s old No.6 Maroons jumper. His desire to do everything he possibly can, with or without the ball, to get his team home is just another reason why he?s so special.

I reckon this match-up will be absolutely sensational and game-defining.

BRETT STEWART v BILLY SLATER

The Prince of Queensland against the Prince of Brookvale. Slater v Stewart ... does rugby league really get any better?

Brett Stewart deserves his place. He had some hot competition from Josh Dugan and Anthony Minichiello but the Sea Eagles' no.1 fended off the challenges and re-enters State of Origin.

I have seen Stewart make a few dashes for Manly in recent weeks and he looks to have lost none of his electric speed. Stewart can punish any side from long distance and is a wonderful support player.

Slater is a freak. There is no better. He can do it all. And what's worse for NSW, he loves to perform on the big stage.

Aside from his speed, Slater has a fabulous football brain. He is so instinctive. These two have battled in some memorable club games and grand finals over the years. Here were go again.

PAUL GALLEN v MATT SCOTT

Gallen will lead NSW from the front - that is a comforting thought. If you want anyone out in front at Origin level it would be Paul Gallen.

What a motor this bloke has!

It is hard to recall a player who can power through his work each week like Gallen. Sharks fans say he is Superman and it's kind of hard to argue. Gallen will play in the middle third again - an area where he can roll up his sleeves and rip in, just how he loves it. He won't give an inch and he won't leak a metre.

Some argue Scott is the best prop in the game, and that was certainly true last year. Hasn?t had much of a chance to back that up this year yet, having missed a good chunk of the first 10 rounds through injury. Might be a touch underdone but has been super in recent series and will again lead the Queensland pack.

The all-important battle up front could come down to which one of these two gains the ascendency

WHILE Origin will dominate headlines over the next few weeks, I want to have a quick say on expansion. It seems the NRL is looking at creating two additional teams either from south-east Queensland, central Queensland, Perth or the NSW central coast.

I have concerns though about whether the game has enough quality players to fill another two clubs. We will need to find another 50-odd first graders... do we have them? I say no.

And sucking 50 players from the system will only weaken the existing clubs.

Look, expansion will happen at some point but I just hope the commission doesn't rush into a decision.

I think the Super Rugby competition is a classic example. They just don't have the players to fill five Australian franchises and the standard of the game suffers.

Yes, there are players who would stay if there were extra teams rather than head to England, but the game needs quality. And if we cannot fill two new teams with quality, then I think expansion at this point in time would damage the game.
    #itaintweaktospeak

If anything sparks NSW it will be Carney and he will be around for years to come.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    If anything sparks NSW it will be Carney and he will be around for years to come.
    I agree. This could be the most creative NSW team for a while.

Anyway, bookies are giving away money next Wednesday. I just picked up $1.48 straight for Qld, among some other specials. Should be able to get back some of my Titans loses on game 1.

A spark to Todd Carney is akin to lighting a fart.

Kenny tips Carney to test Qld Origin team

Blues legend Brett Kenny has declared rookie NSW five-eighth Todd Carney is the man who can rattle the record-breaking Queensland team in the State of Origin series opener.

Kenny warns that Carney is a very different proposition to any other Blues five-eighth Queensland have met during their six straight series wins.

He says the more mature Carney seen in the NRL this season possesses the running and kicking game to heap pressure on the Maroons' defence at Etihad Stadium on Wednesday night.

"He tries things. He's always attacking the line and running towards the line, unlike last year when they had Jamie Soward who just caught the ball and passed it which allowed Queensland to focus on the man outside him," said Kenny on the eve of Carney's eagerly-awaited Origin debut.

"With Carney, they're going to have to be very aware of what he does and he's got such a dangerous sidestep as well.

"There a lot of pressure on him but he's clearly been the best NSW five-eighth running around in the competition and it's great to see they've given him an opportunity."

Himself a wonderful attacking five-eighth, Kenny played 17 Origin games for the Blues, sharing some memorable duels with Wally Lewis.

He believed the fact Carney had played alongside halfback Mitchell Pearce at the Sydney Roosters before his switch to Cronulla would prove a huge bonus in the noisy, hectic Origin arena where players often have to rely on instinct.

Kenny feels Carney can create some openings for the dangerous set of players outside him.

"The thing I really like about Carney is he's always running towards the line or drifting across field a bit with the ball out in front of him, always looking to do something.

"You look at the guys we (NSW) have got in the backs with Josh Morris, a strong runner, Michael Jennings who's quick and agile and Brett Stewart at the back.

"I'd like to see (coach) Ricky Stuart give Jarryd Hayne a roving role and not stay on the wing.

"Can you imagine Hayne drifting out on the right or left-hand side and Stewart and one of those centres with him and Carney dictating play with the ball in hand and Queensland having those four guys to worry about?"

Kenny suggested Justin Hodges could be targeted by the Blues' attack while fellow giant Queensland centre Greg Inglis might find it tougher back in the midfield after enjoying the extra space at fullback for South Sydney.

"I think Justin Hodges is not in great form, he's had some injuries and he's been struggling a bit. I think he struggled in the Test match," he said.

"Greg Inglis has been playing well but he's (been) playing fullback and he won't have as much room to move back in the centres.

"If our forwards can contain Queensland, I think we're a good chance to beat them out wide with Carney calling the shots."

One thing Kenny hopes - win, lose or draw - is that Stuart and fellow NSW selectors stick with the players for the entire series.

"No matter what the result, let's keep this team together unless there are injuries," he said.

Source: http://www.nrl.com

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Standing room only left for Origin I

With 53,000 seats already sold, only standing tickets and restricted view seats remain for the 2012 Harvey Norman State of Origin Series opener in Melbourne in 10 days.

All previously available tickets for the May 23 match at Etihad Stadium have been sold on the eve of team announcements for the NSW VB Blues today (Sunday) and Queensland XXXX Maroons tomorrow night.

The last time State of Origin was held in Melbourne, for Game 1 of the 2009 Series, 50,967 witnessed the Maroons defeat the Blues 28-18 at Etihad Stadium, while an average of 2.322 million viewers across the five capital cities tuned in to watch the series opener.

ARL Commission General Manager of Marketing and Commercial, Mr Paul Kind, said: ?Once again Melbourne has proved to be a great choice to hold one of our marquee events.

?Not only do interstate Rugby League fans love coming to Melbourne, it is also a reflection of the continued growth of the game?s fan base in Victoria with strong local support.

?It is a credit to the Melbourne Storm and also the Victorian Government and a great advertisement for our game?s nationwide appeal that we have been able to have standing tickets and restricted view seats only available 10 days before kick-off.

?We expect more than 15,000 people to travel from NSW and Queensland for this match which qualifies State of Origin in Melbourne as one of Australia?s leading events in terms of economic return to the State hosting the event.?

The Victorian Minister for Sport and Recreation, Hugh Delahunty, said the impressive ticket sales reflected Melbourne's ability to draw big crowds to top quality sporting events.

"State of Origin is such a wonderful spectacle where fans are treated to the excitement of competition of state against state, mate against mate," Mr Delahunty said.

"We're very much looking forward to welcoming visitors from interstate to enjoy a great match, right here in the sporting events capital of the world.

"It's wonderful to see such a strong response, and I urge those who haven't yet purchased a ticket, to be quick to secure a place to see the Maroons and the Blues battle it out at Etihad Stadium on Wednesday 23rd of May."

Both the standing room tickets and the impeded view seats have been released for sale because of the high demand generated for the event.

The cost of the standing room tickets is $30. The tickets will be available through Ticketmaster on 1300 136 122 or online at www.ticketmaster.com.au/origin

Source: http://www.nrl.com

Game Day

GO the Blues
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by Smakked View Post
    GO the Blues
    I thought New Zealand wore black?

State of Origin Game One preview

NRL.com Mon, May 21, 2012 - 10:30 AM

Play Toyota Origin Dream Team
    New South Wales v Queensland
    Etihad Stadium, Melbourne
    Wednesday 8.10pm

The preparation and the posturing are over: it’s time to see whether the Maroons will take their first steps towards extending their six-year dynasty, or whether the Blues will open the shutters on a new dawn in State of Origin.

Committed and passionate Queensland may have an overwhelming record since 2005 but New South Wales players and fans will take great heart from the statistic that shows the Blues have lost a second half just once in their past six encounters in the Origin cauldron – including winning the past four straight and drawing the second 40 in Game One, 2010.

But on the flip side of the coin that only goes to show how dominant Queensland have been from the outset.

New South Wales will be keen for the lion’s share of applause from the sell-out crowd at Etihad Stadium, with powerbrokers hoping the shift away from ANZ Stadium for the series opener doesn’t hand Queensland an advantage even before the time-on whistle blows.

But there’s been drama in their lead-up, with skipper Paul Gallen only getting the green light to take his place after training strongly on Sunday, having shown no signs of the thigh muscle injury that hampered his preparation last week.

The Blues have gambled on a few fronts with their selections, placing huge faith in Manly’s Tony Williams who hasn’t played in two months after being suspended in Round 3. While that is an indication of how highly Williams is valued as an impact player, other selections have been forced by injuries to key candidates: with Danny Buderus and Kurt Gidley unavailable, coach Ricky Stuart has thrown hooker Robbie Farah – who hasn’t appeared on this stage since 2009 – a representative lifeline while also blooding Manly utility Jamie Buhrer.

Just eight Blues players remain from the 17 that lost 34-24 in Game Three last July. Brett Stewart returns in the No.1, with Jarryd Hayne shifting from the centres to oust Brett Morris on the left wing. Josh Morris will suit up at right centre following the retirement of Mark Gasnier, with Todd Carney reuniting with former Roosters teammate Mitchell Pearce in the halves in his Origin debut.

Front-rower James Tamou makes his Blues debut after playing for the Kangaroos in April. Luke Lewis starts in the second row, bumping Ben Creagh to the interchange. Trent Merrin, Williams and Buhrer round out their bench.

Meanwhile Queensland have largely stuck solid to the unit that got the job done in 2011 – although it’s the first time in 15 years they’ll run onto the field without Darren Lockyer. His retirement sees Johnathan Thurston shift to five-eighth, a role he’s filled with skill through 10 NRL games, with Cooper Cronk elevated from the bench to assume the No.7.

Jharal Yow-Yeh’s season-ending ankle injury sees Brent Tate return to the squad on the wing after last representing in 2008.

David Shillington’s good form and availability ensures his inclusion on the bench at the expense of Jacob Lillyman; ditto Rabbitoh Dave Taylor for Corey Parker.

Bronco Matt Gillett is their only debutant, filling the utility role on the bench.

Should the Maroons prevail on Wednesday night it will be a huge blow to the Blues’ hopes of ending Queensland’s dominance – they’ve gone on to secure an Origin series after losing the opener just twice, in 1994 and 2005.

Watch Out Blues: The psychic connection between Melbourne trio Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk and Cameron Smith is bound to create migraines. In particular the combination between Slater and Cronk will need to be monitored, with inside shifts, pinpoint kicks and short passes all on the menu.

Throw in Johnathan Thurston and the Maroons boast an overwhelming advantage on exposed attacking form: ‘JT’ and Cronk rank first and second in the NRL for try assists and line-break assists, with a combined 29 and 24 in those categories respectively. By comparison Mitchell Pearce and Todd Carney have combined for just 15 in each category.

New South Wales can’t afford to let Queensland assert an early advantage – the Maroons have led at halftime every game in the past two series. The Blues have shown great character to mount comebacks but with the exception of Game Two last year it’s been too little too late. The Blues simply have to head to halftime with their noses in front.

Josh Morris, playing out of position at right centre, has the task ahead containing the explosive Greg Inglis, who leads all players for line-breaks (11) and will be particularly dangerous attracting attention inside the Blues’ 10-metre zone.

Danger Sign: If the Maroons roll through the middle third of the field in the opening exchanges it will set things up for their outside backs to cut loose. Even when NSW triumphed in Game Two last year the Maroons still won the battle for territory in the first 40 minutes. In particular their battering rams Petero Civoniveva and Matthew Scott need to be felled early: the pair combined for a whopping 323 metres last Origin game.

Watch Out Maroons: In Paul Gallen and James Tamou the Blues have a front row that can really put it to the Maroons. Gallen leads all-comers for territory in 2012, averaging 205 metres – including a staggering 248 metres in two appearances at prop for the Sharks. Meanwhile Tamou averages 151 metres up front for the Cowboys.

If the Blues get on top early and the Maroons’ alarmingly high rate of missed tackles in second halves continues, NSW will be right in the contest: Queensland missed 22 tackles in the last 40 minutes of Game One last year and 32 in Game Two – plus a whopping 43 in the final game of 2010.

The Maroons will find Todd Carney a totally different proposition to Jamie Soward at five-eighth. Carney will take on the line a lot more and can break tackles and offload too. The key will be to minimise the time he has to make decisions while offering a unified defensive line.

Tony Williams can be the game-changer: in his three NRL games he’s made four line-breaks and 25 tackle busts.

Danger Sign: Jarryd Hayne’s individual brilliance and ball-playing skills have the potential to swing the game for the Blues. He averages almost one line-break in each of his 13 games in the sky blue, plus he’s made nine offloads, 94 tackle-breaks, and an impressive 142.2 metres a match. If Hayne heads infield and makes inroads inside the Maroons’ 20, just watch the Blues’ confidence soar.

Plays To Watch: Brett Stewart supporting out wide and saving tries (17 so far in 2012); Robbie Farah’s creativity out of dummy-half; Glenn Stewart’s playmaking on the right edge; Thurston’s show-and-go, especially on the left edge which will enable him to unleash his lethal left-foot sidestep; Dave Taylor’s unpredictability on either edge of the field, with belated offloads and even grubbers; Sam Thaiday’s hit-and-spin at the defensive line before offloading wide; Cameron Smith hitting short-side runners.

Michael Jennings v Justin Hodges: It will be interesting to see how Jennings responds after being dumped to NSW Cup a fortnight ago. At his best he’s a dynamite force – as illustrated by his try, game-high 11 tackle busts and three line-breaks in NSW’s narrow loss in Game One last year. He has incredible pace off the mark and his sidestep and swerve are among the best in the game. Meanwhile Hodges is a threat out wide or in close – he averages 100 metres in Origins and his right-foot sidestep will test Jennings’ nerve. Hodges will also be used out of dummy-half often, looking to catch out tiring defenders and providing the big Maroons forwards a breather. He has made the third-most dummy-half dashes in 2012.

Where It Will Be Won: Consistency, building pressure and not affording the opposition any relief.

Last series serves as a barometer: in Origin I last year the Maroons completed 83 per cent of their sets to the Blues’ miserable 63 per cent. They made half as many errors as the Blues’ 16. Three weeks later NSW won the completions 89 per cent to 83 per cent. Again, the winning (Blues) side made half as many errors – five to the Maroons’ 10. And in Game Three, Queensland wrapped up the series registering an 84 per cent to 71 per cent completion rate.

A look at the rap sheets from Game Three shows Johnathan Thurston (four errors), Mitchell Pearce (two errors) and Sam Thaiday (two errors and two penalties conceded) need to watch their steps.

The History: Played 93 (since 1980); Queensland 49, NSW 42, drawn 2. Queensland have won three of the five games played in Melbourne and have won both clashes at Etihad Stadium.

The Last Time They Met: Queensland defeated NSW 34-24 at Suncorp Stadium in Game Three last year.

The 2012 series may have been open for the taking heading into this clash, but it was as good as sealed inside 33 minutes when Queensland blazed to a 24-nil lead.

To their credit the Blues rallied to close the gap to 10 points following two tries in the final three minutes before the break.

An arm wrestle ensued for the first 20 minutes of the second section – but when Billy Slater and Greg Inglis crossed within three minutes of each other for a 34-12 lead with 10 minutes remaining the Queensland crowd found their full voice.

Still, NSW would not lie down, with Jarryd Hayne and Greg Bird crossing for tries to add respectability to the scoreboard.

Queensland based their victory on no-nonsense footy, offering just three offloads compared to the Blues who were forced to chance their hand with 15 offloads.

Match Officials: Referees – Ben Cummins & Matt Cecchin; Sideline Officials – Paul Holland & Jeff Younis; Video Ref – Sean Hampstead.

The Way We See It: New South Wales’ best chance is for the individual brilliance of Farah, Hayne and Carney to post points early. If the Blues don’t get off to a flyer, Queensland will grind them down. We foresee a decisive win to the ‘visitors’ – their roster simply boasts too much continuity and class. Queensland by eight points.

Televised: Channel Nine – Live from 7.30pm.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    I thought New Zealand wore black?
    I thought Kempsey was in NSW?
    Prince and Sezer in the halves.

i got another ....Todd Carney is from ACT.

Why is he playing for NSW?

So why was Mal Meninga chasing up Kasiano? Looks like there is two NZ teams in the State of Origin.
    Prince and Sezer in the halves.