Travis Meyn | 08:30am April 18, 2012

IMMORTAL candidate Brad Fittler could be behind the resurgence of Jamal Idris as the towering Gold Coast Titans centre looks to resurrect his State of Origin career.

Idris made his NSW debut in Game One of 2010 but has been in Origin wilderness since, with his other representative appearance being last year's trans-Tasman Test.

The Titans mammoth was overlooked for this weekend's Country team on the back of a hamstring injury and is at long odds to feature in Ricky Stuart's series-opening team on May 23 in Melbourne.

But the 21-year-old has not given up hope of regaining a Blues jersey this year and says some sound advice from former Australia and NSW five-eighth Fittler is helping his career blossom.

"My big thing coming into this year was my effort on effort," Idris said.

"I talked to Freddie (Fittler) every now and then and he'd say the same thing.

"When you look at a game, it's based on your effort on effort.

"You can go and make a dominant tackle but if the bloke who's playing the ball is beating you up and you're still on the ground, it's to no effect."

Titans forwards Luke Douglas and Greg Bird will front up for Country against City on Sunday and Idris said he was disappointed to be missing the fixture which doubles as a NSW trial.

"There's disappointment but it's one game in a long season. There's plenty more to come. I just want to get myself right for the rest of them," he said.

"Playing Origin you have the time of your life but in saying that, it's a long season and I want to get back to playing 100 per cent.

"At the moment the only thing I'm focusing on is my leg ... maybe when I'm 100 per cent I can give it a crack.

"I wouldn't think (I'd be available for Game One). I've been out for a fair few games."

Idris has played limited minutes in the past fortnight, with tendonitis in his hamstring hampering his running.

He burst through Manly's line at the weekend to score a quality try before leaving the field well before half-time.

"I was on the sideline getting hammered from the crowd but there's nothing better. That means you're doing the right thing," he laughed.

"It's (hamstring) all good. It's like tendonitis. It has that effect when you keep using it and wearing it out.

"I'll be off it for most of (the next week), running in the water and stuff. Hammy's are completely different (to most injuries). You've got to be really cautious with it.

"It frustrates me when you know it's there but you want to burst and take off. It just holds you back a bit."

The Titans will be without workhorse lock Ashley Harrison for next Friday's Broncos clash after he took an early guilty plea for a high tackle.

Idris also pleaded guilty to the same charge but escaped penalty with an early guilty plea.