Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

We depend on Prince too much. Thats how i would answer it. Hopefully Sezer can start assisting tries so we do not have to entirely depend on Prince to set up tries.

This will make Titans less predictable.

I have a good feeling about our halves combination of Prince and Sezer.

People who dont want Prince dont want the best for the Titans IMO. Without Prince we dont have a capable playmaker who will lead from the front and try to create tries.
    Prince and Sezer in the halves.

Default Broncos do homework on Titans NRL rookie

Wayne Heming AAP Wed, Apr 25, 2012 - 1:51 PM

Brisbane coach Anthony Griffin admits he has crammed up as much as possible on Gold Coast rookie five-eighth Aidan Sezer ahead of Friday night's NRL derby at Suncorp Stadium.

Despite playing just one NRL game - a cracker against Manly at Brookvale Oval earlier this month - the 20-year-old Bulldogs cast-off has commanded as much attention this week as the likes of Scott Prince, Greg Bird and Jamal Idris.

The clash between the 94kg Sezer and Brisbane's 96kg five-eighth Corey Norman, who is just six months younger, will be a highlight.

"I haven't seen much of him in the 20s but I certainly took notice of his game against Manly," said Griffin, a big believer in giving young players an opportunity.

"We're doing our homework on him.

"He's obviously a bright young talent who is a good runner of the football.

"They've given him a chance for a reason and that performance against Manly is only going to help his confidence."

A number of Brisbane's young players including winger Dale Copley rates Sezer a future star after having played against him in the under 20s competition.

"I've seen a bit of him in the Toyota Cup (U-20s) and played against him in the first round of the Queensland Cup and he tore us to shreds," said Copley.

"He's a very dangerous player who seems to get through the line a lot. We have to be on our toes not to take any dummies."

Sezer's display against the premiers, which included a try, impressed many including teammate Greg Bird who dubbed the former Sydney East Hills Bulldogs junior "The Natural".

Bird, who's worn the No.6 for NSW, said Sezer was a natural five-eighth with a lot more skill than he had.

"He was special against Manly," said Bird.

Griffin said the Titans were in really good form.

"They were a bit stiff not to beat Canterbury and the Roosters before they upset Manly at Brookvale Oval.

"To go down to Manly and beat Manly at Brookvale, nobody else has been able to do that for the last 18 months or so."

Griffin believes Gold Coast's highly-publicised off-field financial dramas have pulled their playing group together.

"You can see the way they've come together over the last two to three weeks and they're playing their best football," he said.

"The two wins they've had, they've beaten the Cowboys and Manly on the road which is pretty hard to do."

"We've got an enormous amount of respect for them and we know when we play the Gold Coast, it's 'game on' no matter where we are on the ladder.

With Beau Champion (nerve in neck) ruled out, all eyes will be on damaging centre Idris who will undergo a final test on his hamstring at training on Thursday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Before I read that I was sure he was leading the try assists.
    he would have been close, but cooper cronk is miles ahead cos 6 of his 15 try assists were in one game.

take that out and prince is right up there with him.

I'm in row 25 of the Away Supporters Bay.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Assume Graham came in as 18th man instead of Rankin because Idris is less than 100%. Anyone know anything about this????

Graham also has a pretty good history of shutting down Hodges and Thaiday in defence which is generally a pretty hard job.

Quote Originally Posted by securitron_ch View Post
    Assume Graham came in as 18th man instead of Rankin because Idris is less than 100%. Anyone know anything about this????

Graham also has a pretty good history of shutting down Hodges and Thaiday in defence which is generally a pretty hard job.
    Its no secret about Idriss & his hamstring problem , they can take months to heal properly but if we can get half a match out of him thats better than not having him out there at all , Thompson or Graham will be able to hold their own against Hodges
    #itaintweaktospeak

Hodges is always holding his own ...
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Titans now $4.10

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    taken us @ 10.50 for 13+
    I got em at $11

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    Titans now $4.10
    I got em at $11
    Its a given.. easy money haha

Cant wait for the game tomorrow.. nothing better straight after work.

edit: its climbing further and further.. $4.30 / $11.50 now! Is there some injury concerns in the camp? I dont understand how the broncs can be such favourites?! dont mind anyway
    Last edited by Nick; 26-04-12 at 05:55 PM.

Seems rain will be on the increase tomorrow according to the forecast for Brisbane issued by the BoM. Not sure who that would benefit more?

Default Titans' Idris ready to hurt Broncos

By Wayne Heming and Tony Bartlett AAP Thu, Apr 26, 2012 - 4:14 PM

Gold Coast coach John Cartwright has declared towering Titans centre Jamal Idris ready to inflict 80 minutes of pain on Brisbane in Friday night's NRL derby at Suncorp Stadium.

The Titans' prized off-season recruit is yet to make his mark at his new NRL club after battling early-season injuries.

But up against the Broncos, and in particular a world-class opponent in Justin Hodges, he has an opportunity to prove he's worth the big money thrown at him.

Restricted to boxing and aerobic work earlier in the week, the game's biggest centre shrugged off any lingering doubts about his hamstring during a strong training session at Skilled Park on Thursday morning.

"It's been six weeks since the injury now; they said a four to six week injury," said Cartwright, happy with Idris's work.

"He's had a bit of football but we haven't over-used him and hopefully he's 100 per cent for tomorrow night.

"I haven't spoken to the physio yet but I'm hopeful that if he starts the game he'll be right for the 80 minutes."

While at 194cm and 115kg his sheer size alone makes him a nightmare to defend close to the line, Idris could be in for a tough night himself up against the in-form Hodges, who's overcome his own hamstring dramas.

Brisbane coach Anthony Griffin has issued a watch on Titans playmaker Scott Prince and young rookie five-eighth Aidan Sezer, who sparkled in his NRL debut upset against Manly.

"Scotty Prince is in the best form I've seen for a while," noted Griffin.

"With Sezer on the other side, with his left foot, they've got some variety in their kicking game so there is a bit more to shut down."

The Gold Coast's kick and chase game against Manly was first-class and Griffin agreed Sezer's clash with young Brisbane No.6 Corey Norman could be a look into the future.

One NRL game isn't a lot to work on but Griffin, an astute student of the game, saw enough of Sezer's debut to know he is a good player.

"That's as good a debut you could see against Manly at Manly," he said.

"He did it all; he ran, he kicked, he passed and whatever he did he seemed to have a bit of time to do which is a sign of a bit of class."

Prince said his new combination with Sezer was showing "a lot of promise".

"It's coming along quite nicely. His kicking game is outstanding which helps me immensely," said Prince.

"Having a left-footer really takes the pressure off myself and Matty Srama at dummy-half as well. It's a work in progress."

Titans coach John Cartwright dismissed suggestions the club's upset win over Manly at Brookvale Oval was down to a big dose of luck.

"It wasn't a fluke," he said.

"You don't win first grade games by fluke. It was a tough win; they worked really hard for it, but it's about being consistent and turning up with the same attitude and doing the same things right."

Junior

Is this game being broadcast live anywhere both nine and nbn seem to have it scheduled as the late game

i have noticed on gem i think it is, they show the 930 game at 730(if its the same time zone)

I wish Cartwright would shut up and let the players do the talking on the field.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

PRINCE: Doesn't get better than this
    Scott Prince | 12:01am April 27, 2012

WE'RE back under the glare of Friday night lights.

The local derby against the Broncos at Suncorp, the spiritual home of rugby league in Australia. It doesn't get any better than this.

Ask any NRL player when he would rather play and I would bet my last dollar that more than 90 per cent would say Friday night.

Just like most punters, players can't wait for the weekend games to start and so that makes the first game, Friday night, so special.

But for the players there are other reasons to prefer Friday nights.

A Friday night game brings with it a unique routine. Normally it means that you have the weekend off before training resumes on Monday. Suddenly you are back in the realms of the "normal world' and working Monday to Friday.

You are more in sync with your family and therefore more settled. There seems to be fewer stresses on your day-to-day life. It all comes back to routine and most people operate better with a set routine.

For rugby league players, we know that our games can be spread across four days -- Friday through to Monday night. That's just a hassle you have to cope with and training staff attempt to keep the routine as normal as possible.

So, if one team has a mortgage on Friday night games, to me that is a massive advantage. The most significant is recovery, which is such a big part of today's game. A full seven-day recovery is the ultimate preparation for the next game.

So far this season the Broncos have played every Friday night. I am not saying that is the sole reason they are running second, having dropped only one game.

But I am saying that from a player's perspective I would much rather have their draw than the Titans (six Saturdays, one Friday, one Sunday in the first eight rounds) or the Cowboys (five Saturdays, one Friday, one Sunday, one Monday).

I appreciate there are all sorts of forces at play here such as free-to-air television ratings concerns and the fact that the Broncos obviously have a larger TV audience than the other two Queensland teams.

But surely if there is an advantage in consistently playing on a Friday night then that doesn't make for a fair playing field if one team is almost always under the Friday night spotlight.

For the first eight rounds of this season Broncos players have been in a set routine. In a game of one percenters, that advantage alone can have a decisive influence on-field.

Putting together the NRL draw cannot be easy and you can't please everyone, but surely this is one area that deserves a second look with a more even share of Friday night games all around.

Here is a rundown of how many Friday night games each team will have had after this weekend:

Broncos 8, Dragons 4, Newcastle 4, Tigers 3, Eels 2, Sea Eagles 2, Bulldogs 2, Rabbitohs 2, Panthers 1, Storm 1, Raiders 1, Titans 1, Cowboys 1, Warriors 0, Sharks 0, Roosters 0.
    #itaintweaktospeak