Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GoldCoastTitans100 View Post
    Just had a chance to watch the game against the Roosters.

Very disappointing, but why is it Prince does not put in a solid effort but keeps on getting picked but Rankin didn't necessarily play a great game but put in 100% and Rankin gets dropped to the bench and Prince gets his jumper

Luke O'Dwyer offers nothing !

Just some changes

1 William Zillman
    2 Phil Graham
    3 Jamal Idris
    4 Beau Champion
    5 David Mead
    6 Jordan Rankin
    7 Aidan Sezer
    8 Luke Bailey
    9 Matt Srama
    10 Luke Douglas
    11 Nate Myles
    12 Bodene Thompson
    13 Ashley Harrison

Interchange
    14 Brenton Lawrence
    15 Matt White
    16 Mark Minichiello
    17 Ben Ridge

I think Kevin Gordon is great but I think he needs some time in QLD cup to build his confidence, 1 or 2 weeks.
    Have to agree with you on the point you made about Prince. Doesn't seem fair to the others that are dropped.

The team you have written looks like the team that we should be fielding week in and week out and we have Birdy to cone back as well.

Henderson should never be picked as he never bends the line back at all like White and Brenton do.

I dont agree , if we didn't have prince i would expect Manly to put 60 on us easy, we need someone with experience in that position.
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

Is he @#$&ing kidding himself. Dropping bj for Henderson bout time Michaels gone ridge for odwyer and whoever thinks mini should be there are fools we need to complete sets against manly hendo and mini will drop about 3 balls each hallelujah for sezar is he our new hope? Let's hope so good kicking game should take a lot of pressure of prince .I love Rankin but needs some qcup action to get confidence back too many stray passes the other night let the pressure off them now all we need is mead n zill to swap idris will put mead away at least 3 times on sat put mead in fantasy.

I think we don't look fit as per our second half fades and where have our trademark lightning play the balls gone?
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    I think we don't look fit as per our second half fades and where have our trademark lightning play the balls gone?
    I think lightning play the balls are the result of a team playing well. At the moment too many errors, stunted attack etc etc.

As long as we win i dont care how we do it , we just need to win, i will probably fly down for this one flights are only $22 and the missus wants to see her sister, so why not
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    I'm glad Prince is on the field, he needs an old head beside him.
    I don't think i've seen more pressure put on a starting player.
    Starts in a losing side, with trouble in the club that doesn't know how to attack and has never had a 5/8, up against the best halves in the comp.
    I agree 100% with your comment re Sezar needing some experience beside him, but by the same token, how is Rankin ever going to get experience if the coach never gives him a chance?? It's amazing how Cartwright can have the reputation of sticking with certain players too long and yet does not have the patience to 'pick and stick' with a halves combination.

IT'S ONLY ROUND 7 AND CARTWRIGHT HAS JUST SELECTED HIS THIRD DIFFERENT HALVES COMBINATION!!

Injuries have not played a part in that revolving door selection policy. Carty has not learned a thing from 2011 because he was not put under any pressure by management. He was not critically reviewed and made to feel his share of responsibility for the wooden spoon season and now he thinks that season 2012 is going to turn around with him making exactly the same mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    If we get toweled by 50, it will be Sezers fault. He won't even need to miss a tackle.
    The irony of this statement is that criticism is not likely to come from the usual source - the fans - but will likely come from the coach who will probably just banish him to the bench or the QLD Cup. A good coach would have a very clear set of expectations for a rookie's debut. He would structure a game plan that would allow him to play within himself yet display his natural talent. What chance is there that Carty has done that for Sezar??

Quote Originally Posted by Smakked View Post
    I dont agree , if we didn't have prince i would expect Manly to put 60 on us easy, we need someone with experience in that position.
    So your saying if Prince doesn't play they get 60 on us ?
    If we were going to get 60 put on us it would be when Prince is playing, Prince can't tackle !
    Experience is great but you need to back experience up with skill and consistency which Prince fails to do every week.

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    A good coach would have a very clear set of expectations for a rookie's debut. He would structure a game plan that would allow him to play within himself yet display his natural talent. What chance is there that Carty has done that for Sezar??
    Next to zip, I'd imagine. I really do feel for the introduction Sezer will be facing this weekend. Great to see him finally get a run, but it should be off the bench like someone previously mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldCoastTitans100 View Post
    If we were going to get 60 put on us it would be when Prince is playing, Prince can't tackle !
    I'll give Princey the benefit of the doubt 'n say it's not a case of he can't tackle. To me, it appears he doesn't want to tackle. Though he's not shy of climbing on top of a attacking forward 'n ride him over the try line. Now if I had a dollar for everytime I've seen that happen..
    Last edited by Toads; 11-04-12 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Typo

just looking at the NRL stats for this year and Prince is sitting equal sixth in try assists with Slater and shaun johnson.

He is one Try assist behind Widdop and Cherry Evans and 2 behind JT.

he is ahead of Cam Smith, Soward,Wallace and MItchell Pearce ( double the try assists of wallace and pearce actually)

I know statistics can be interpreted in different ways, but he is going alot better than people give him credit for, and has to be there. Hunt and Norman were used sparingly for a couple of years for brisbane, and i think Carty will do the same until Sezer or Rankin show without a doubt the jersey is theres, and then the other one will be stuck with a bench spot or 18th man till prince gives it up.

Whether thats they way it SHOULD happen or not, i dont know, but its clear Carty wont move prince unless there is an injury.

Next to zip, I'd imagine. I really do feel for the introduction Sezer will be facing this weekend. Great to see him finally get a run, but it should be off the bench like someone previously mentioned.

I'll give Princey the benefit of the doubt 'n say it's not a case of he can't tackle. To me, it appears he doesn't want to tackle. Though he's not shy of climbing on top of a attacking forward 'n ride him over the try line. Now if I had a dollar for everytime I've that happen..
    i think he is trying harder than usual to tackle, he is always ready to jump off the line early and get to the attacker before he has much space and speed up, but he just jumps on as u mentioned once he gets there.
    '
    I honestly think hes tactic is "if i cant tackle at 32, im not going to learn now, so ill get up early and slow them down till my freinds arrive"

Thanks god Steve Michaels is gone.

WTF WHY IS LAWRENCE ON THE OUTER!?! ABSOLUTELY RUBBISH SELECTIONS. WHAT IS CARTY THINKING!?!?

I have a good feeling about Sezer.
    Prince and Sezer in the halves.

Sea Eagles v Titans preview

NRL.com Wed, Apr 11, 2012 - 1:07 PM

Manly Sea Eagles v Gold Coast Titans
    Brookvale Oval
    Saturday 7.30pm

After what must surely be one of the most difficult and protracted road trips in NRL history, the Sea Eagles finally returned home to Brookvale Oval last week with a bang.

After kicking off their pre-season with a trip over to Old Blighty to face Super League champions Leeds, Manly started the NRL proper with a trip over the Tasman, then took their Round 2 home game up to Bluetongue Stadium in Gosford and followed that with three consecutive away games against Cronulla, St George Illawarra and Parramatta.

But last week they showed just how much they love playing at Brookvale, where they went undefeated last year. Despite being without four internationals in Glenn Stewart, Tony Williams, Kieran Foran and Brett Stewart (the latter two only being officially ruled out shortly before kick-off) Manly tore apart the Panthers to the tune of 30-0. Halfback Daly Cherry-Evans was the star in a dominant second half that has brought the defending premiers right back into calculations for this season.

The fact they were able to do it while missing not only two back-rowers who would both have been in calculations for the upcoming Anzac Test, but also their star fullback and five-eighth, would have been particularly pleasing for rookie coach Geoff Toovey.

The news is not quite so good for the embattled Titans however – despite receiving some good news regarding their financial affairs recently the team bumbled their way to a fifth straight loss against the Roosters, leaving them stuck with the Eels and Tigers at the foot of the ladder with just a solitary win from the opening six rounds.

The Titans missed 35 tackles and made 17 errors last week as they completed just 62 per cent of their sets. Although the Roosters somehow managed an even worse completion rate of just 55 per cent, the Bondi club outran the Titans by 1419 metres to 1151. The fact the Titans were in with a shot of forcing golden-point following David Mead’s second try was a reflection of how poorly the Roosters handled the footy.

Coach John Cartwright has responded by naming highly rated Bulldogs junior Aidan Sezer as Scott Prince’s third halves partner of the year, dropping Jordan Rankin to a five-man bench. After returning from injury on the bench last week Jamal Idris comes into the run-on side replacing Steve Michaels at centre. Mark Minichiello and Matthew White join the bench, with Brenton Lawrence dropping out of the side.

Toovey has named Brett Stewart to return at fullback for Dean Whare who substituted admirably against Penrith, although Whare remains on a five-man bench as cover in case Stewart does not pull up from the rib cartilage injury suffered against Parramatta. Kieran Foran has been named to return from a hamstring strain at the expense of his older brother Liam, who also deputised with aplomb against the Panthers.

Club stalwart and co-captain Jason King will play his 200th NRL game, all of which have been for the Sea Eagles, aside from the first 22 which were played at the Northern Eagles.
    For the Titans, William Zillman racks up his 100th NRL game.

Watch Out Sea Eagles: Hulking centre Jamal Idris, who returns to the starting line-up after being eased back from injury last week, is one of several major off-season signings Cartwright will be expecting to help lead his side out of its current slump.

Idris was equal fifth in the competition last year in terms of tackle busts, with a massive 117 across the 23 matches he played. He also registered the second-most offloads at the club with 31 and the second-most line-breaks with 10.

Idris scored a double in the Titans’ Round 1 win over the Cowboys and if he can recapture the kind of form that saw him grab a State of Origin bench spot in 2010 it may just give the Titans the kind of X-factor at the back that they need to inspire the rest of the team.

Danger Sign: Idris can have the tendency to switch off a little when he’s playing out in the centres but it’s when he comes in looking for work that he can really create havoc. If he goes out of his way to take some early hit-ups when the Titans are working it out of their own end, or tries to assert himself late in an attacking set, the Manly defence will need to be on their toes.

Watch Out Titans: Daly Cherry-Evans produced one of those all-round games last week where everything fell into place. Desperate to make amends for a lacklustre showing against the Eels and with an increased burden of responsibility in the absence of regular five-eighth Kieran Foran, Cherry-Evans produced a playmaking masterclass.

The three try assists were the key – the highlight an unconventional but very effective perfectly placed cross-field grubber towards the posts for centre Steve Matai to score.

His nine tackle busts were a feature that you won’t see from too many halfbacks, while a crucial 40/20 kick could easily be forgotten in amongst the other highlights. If Cherry-Evans can put in a repeat showing in Manly’s second consecutive Brookvale appearance the Titans will be in huge trouble.

Danger Sign: Not to suggest that there’s anything lacking in Cherry-Evans’ passing game – but it was his running of the football and pinpoint kicks that shredded the Penrith defence last week. The more he takes on the line himself the better, from Manly’s point of view, and the Titans’ big men will have to watch him closely – or they will know how Penrith felt last week.

Steve Matai v Jamal Idris: Unfortunately these two uncompromising centres may not clash directly too often because each tends to play on the left side of the field – but that doesn’t mean they won’t go looking for each other if either wanders infield.

Matai is well known for his bruising defence and Roosters pivot Braith Anasta will certainly attest to the fact that Idris is also capable of crunching defence after wearing a big shot last week. Both players have missed game time already this year through injury but can be game-breakers when in form. Matai was close to Manly’s best in the loss to the Eels and bagged a four-pointer last week, and Idris will be keen to make up for lost time after playing just three of the opening six rounds.

Idris ran just three times for 10 metres last week despite being on the field for almost 40 minutes, while Matai made just a solitary tackle in 80 minutes. Expect far greater involvement from each man this week.

Where It Will Be Won: The mental approach. Quite simply, if each side plays the way they played last week, the Titans have no hope. But this is rugby league, the domain of the upset, where anything can happen on the night – as the Sea Eagles recently found out against Parramatta.

If the Titans venture out to fortress Brookvale believing they can’t win, then they won’t. They will need to find some spark, whether it comes from debutant Sezer who is unscarred by the side’s previous five losses, the effervescent Idris, or the never-say-die Nate Myles – but they need to believe if they are to have a chance.

Conversely if Manly go in believing the game already won then that is where the Titans gain an opening. Manly fans would hope at 3-3, after the upset at Parramatta and with a couple of stars still missing, that complacency wouldn’t be an issue. But league can be a funny game and Manly will still have to do the little things right against a Titans side that will have their backs to the wall.

The History: Played 8, Manly 5, Gold Coast 3. The Titans have a fair record against the Sea Eagles given how dominant Manly has been in the five seasons the Titans have been in the NRL – although they have won just one of four at Brookvale. That one win was on their last trip to the peninsula however, when they emerged 24-22 winners in Round 7 of the 2010 season.

The Last Time They Met: The only meeting between these two clubs last season was played at Skilled Park in Round 10 as Manly edged the Titans 16-12 in a three-tries-to-two victory.

The Sea Eagles exploded out of the blocks as Ashley Harrison was penalised for an incorrect play-the-ball on just the second tackle of the match. A Cherry-Evans cut-out pass followed by a Jamie Lyon flick pass put David ‘Wolfman’ Williams over in the corner inside the first minute of play. Opposite winger Michael Robertson also crossed in the 23rd minute before Scott Prince dragged one back for the Titans late in the half.

Robertson earned a double midway through the second half before Esi Tonga brought the margin back to four when he crossed 10 minutes from time.

Both sides completed around three quarters of their possessions although Manly missed double the number of tackles with 38 against 19 for the Titans. There was little between the teams in terms of running metres, possession or penalties.

The loss came despite huge 80-minute contributions from Titans back-rowers Greg Bird (155 metres from 15 runs) and Ashley Harrison (142 metres from 19 runs).

Match Officials: Referees – Jason Robinson & Tony De Las Heras; Sideline Officials – Jason Walsh & Brenden Wood; Video Referee – Paul Mellor.

The Way We See It: There’s no sugar-coating it – Gold Coast will be massive underdogs here and rightly so. As mentioned above, if both teams put in a repeat of last week’s efforts there can be only one winner. But a week can be a long time in rugby league, as we’ve seen plenty of times in the past, and the Titans have plenty of quality players, while Manly have plenty missing or in doubt. But since we’re playing it safe we’ll take Manly by 13-plus.

Televised: Fox Sports – Live 7.30pm.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Titans at full strength for first time
    Travis Meyn | 12:01am April 12, 2012

STRIKE weapon Beau Champion says he is ready to hit his straps as the Gold Coast Titans prepare to roll out arguably their strongest team of the season in Saturday's daunting showdown against defending premiers Manly at Brookvale Oval.

The inclusion of highly-rated five-eighth Aidan Sezer for his NRL debut, as well as the possible return of Greg Bird from an ankle injury, could give the Titans close to a full-strength team for the first time this year.

Bird was slated for a return against the Broncos in a fortnight but he trained strongly yesterday and could be a shock inclusion against Manly, just two weeks after sustaining ligament damage to his ankle.

Star signing Jamal Idris will start at left centre for the first time since round 2 while wingers David Mead and Kevin Gordon are starting to find good form after injury-interrupted seasons.

Champion was recruited to add some much needed zip to the Titans' three-quarter line but his statistics have been below par as he has battled finger and back injuries.

The former Storm centre hasn't scored yet and has failed to make a line break, line break assist, try assist or tackle bust in his three NRL matches, something he is desperate to turn around.

"It's always going to take a couple of games to get your match fitness together. It's been a bit of an up and down start to the season," he said.

"I feel like I'm in good shape now and going forward I can try and contribute as much as I can to the team.

"You have niggles every week and it's something you have to play with. It's (back) fine, I'll get through the game."

After some surprise results, Manly returned to form this week with a 30-0 thrashing of Penrith on Monday night.

The Sea Eagles have a short turn-around between matches and Champion said it was time the Titans' backline stood up after failing to score more than 20 points in six outings this year.

"The backline is there to score tries and put on some points," he said.

"The results look disappointing but we've been in every game we've played this year.

"We've played some quality opposition in the last few weeks and we're not far away.

"It's a real confidence booster that we've got a full-strength side back in now and some players who were injured are starting to come back.

"Aidan Sezer is going to bring a lot of enthusiasm to the team. The talent's there, there's no doubt about that.

"We've just got to execute our plays properly. If you get the ball to Jamal in space he's going to create opportunities and a bit of havoc."

Jordan Rankin has been named 18th man for the Sea Eagles match but trained at hooker yesterday and could find himself in the team as back-up for Matt Srama.
    #itaintweaktospeak

"Jordan Rankin has been named 18th man for the Sea Eagles match but trained at hooker yesterday and could find himself in the team as back-up for Matt Srama."

Carty just making it up as he goes along...