Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Default Emma Greenwood | 10:10am March 20, 2012

Injuries likely to change Titans line-up

Emma Greenwood | 10:10am March 20, 2012

INJURIES could force the Gold Coast Titans to make several changes when their team for Saturday's clash against the Warriors in Auckland is named today.

Centre Jamal Idris is expected to be sidelined for a second week, with his hamstring strain worse than first thought.

Fullback William Zillman was among players that missed training yesterday, with Aidan Sezer and Beau Henry running at five-eighth during the session.

Sezer was again solid for Queensland Cup outfit Burleigh but just two games back from a knee reconstruction, Cartwright is loathe to put him under the microscope against the Warriors.

"They're all in the mix, we've got a few injury problems,'' Cartwright said when asked whether Sezer was an option in the halves.

"He did all right for Burleigh yesterday but he still hasn't played a first grade game and it's probably not the place to take him to make his first-grade debut with two games under his belt.''

Despite the club's 30-6 loss to the Storm, Cartwright said the Titans would take plenty of confidence across the ditch.

"It was probably our best performance of the season on the weekend,'' Cartwright said, denying the Titans were under pressure after a 1-2 return from the first three rounds.

"It's probably a funny thing to say but defensively we were very strong, we dominated them for long periods of time and our combinations are still getting there.

"We still haven't been able to field our best side yet but there were some really good signs there on the weekend.''

www.goldcoast.com.au
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

I hate to say this, but Zilman missing this game because of injury may be a blessing in disguise. Rankin 1 and Sezer 6 are probably a good option for us and when this combination has great success, bring Zillman back in on the left wing. I can see a good player in Zillman. He has heaps of potential, but it we have seen so far is potential. I thought Rankin was pretty good at fullback last year. He has still has a few things to learn in that position, but I think based on current for he has a lot more to offer us there then Zillman does and it allows us to bring Sezer into the side.
    Last edited by Tamwelg; 21-03-12 at 09:45 AM.
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

i agree with rankin at 5/8 it takes sooooo much pressure of prince and also sezer
    my side would be

1. jordan rankin
    2. Steve Michaels
    3. Bodene Thompson
    4. Beau Champion
    5. Dominique Peyroux
    6. aidan sezer
    7. Scott Prince (c)
    8. Luke Bailey
    9. Matt Srama
    10. Luke Douglas
    11. Greg Bird
    12. Nate Myles
    13. Ashley Harrison
    Interchange
    Mark Minichiello
    Matthew White
    Brenton Lawrence
    Kayne Lawton

If winning isn't everything, then why do they keep score?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamwelg View Post
    I hate to say this, but Zilman missing this game because of injury may be a blessing in disguise. Rankin 1 and Sezer 6 are probably a good option for us and when this combination has great success, bring Zillman back in on the left wing. I can see a good player in Zillman. He has heaps of potential, but it we have seen so far is potential. I thought Rankin was pretty good at fullback last year. He has still has a few things to learn in that position, but I think based on current for he has a lot more to offer us there then Zillman does and it allows us to bring Sezer into the side.
    yeah Rankin has got areas to improve from last year, but his physicality and willingness to compete is already greatly improved.

And the one thing he showed us last year when he was fullback, was that he CAN be that running and ballplaying player sweeping into the line, and CAN throw the money ball too. his long ball is as good as any other fullback in the comp.( okay maybe not Slater, but his was a bit gumby till a year or two ago as well)

and if we are going to have a fullback who needs improvement (which Zilman does), id rather it be Rankin who will at least offer us tries and spark in the meantime to go with his areas of opportunity.

our wingers will be seeing more quality ball than they know what to do with.

I'm one of Cartwright's most vocal critics but I agree with him when he says that sending Sezar TO NZ to make his debut in an under strength side is a bad idea. Give the kid a few more weeks to find his feet.

Default Injuries force Titans shake-up

Injuries force Titans shake-up

Travis Meyn | 07:04am March 21, 2012

THE Gold Coast Titans' playmaking division is set for a shake-up with hardman Greg Bird in line to replace injured five-eighth Jordan Rankin for Saturday's crunch showdown against the Warriors.

Rankin battled through a foot injury in last weekend's 24-point loss to Melbourne and is joined in the casualty ward by star centre Jamal Idris (hamstring) and forwards Nate Myles and Ashley Harrison, who are both suffering from hip complaints.

The Titans are confident Rankin will be fit but if he is ruled out coach John Cartwright won't be tempted into giving new recruit Aidan Sezer an early NRL debut in Auckland, with the former Canterbury under-20s star to remain in the Intrust Super Cup along with Beau Henry.

Ex-Bulldogs weapon Idris is no chance of playing against the Warriors and is in doubt for next weekend's Skilled Park clash against his former club as he battles a hamstring tear. Idris's first appearance against Canterbury was set to be a massive selling point for the Titans who have had two below-par crowds this season.

Rankin, Myles and Harrison will be given until Friday to prove their fitness and the Bulletin understands NSW back-rower Bird is in line to join captain Scott Prince in the attacking department.

Bird has played at pivot for the Titans and NSW but has been one of the club's best this season playing in the second row. The 28-year-old enforcer made 18 runs for 155m and 27 tackles as the Titans were soundly beaten by the Storm.

Cartwright yesterday stuck by the losing team in naming an unchanged side for the New Zealand encounter and said the 17 deserved to be shown some faith.

"Those guys we picked in the first game, we thought were the pick of the players coming through the trials," he said.

"We're not going to change our mind after two losses and a win.

"You've got to give a side a chance to get combinations and those guys deserve another crack."

Cartwright played down reports the Titans had expressed an interest in off-contract Storm halfback Cooper Cronk.

Cronk, Queensland's halfback in waiting, is yet to re-sign with Melbourne and has been linked to the Gold Coast. However, Prince is contracted until 2014 and Cartwright said the club was still dealing with the major signing of Rabbitohs forward Dave Taylor.

"At this stage there's no interest in Cooper Cronk. Having just signed Dave Taylor, it would be a big ask to fit Cooper Cronk in there as well.

"The fact that he hasn't signed at Melbourne yet and whether he wants to come home for family, I'm not sure. But there's only three clubs in Queensland so we're always going to get thrown into the mix there.

"It would be (a tricky situation with Prince) if Cooper was in the mix of coming here but at this stage he's not. Princey's our captain and he's got this year and next year on his contract. You've got to look more than 12 months down the track at your roster."

www.goldcoast.com.au

A bit of a contrast to the other article.

Beau Henry is looking more and more like the worst signing we have ever made. What's the point of having a back-up 5/8 if he is not going to be the backup 5/8.

I think the guys rubbish and don't want him anywhere near the team anyway, but it begs the question - why did we ever sign him in the first place??

So with Bird in line to replace Rankin our backline for the weekend is going to feature a centre on the wing and backrowers at centre AND five-eighth. I simply do not see any way that we can score enough points to beat the Warriors. If we defend to our best they will still score 18 points and I see no way that we can put up that sort of number given that our best score for the year so far is only 18 and that was in a game where the opposition were atrocious and we had Idris and Rankin playing in their preferred positions.

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    So with Bird in line to replace Rankin our backline for the weekend is going to feature a centre on the wing and backrowers at centre AND five-eighth. I simply do not see any way that we can score enough points to beat the Warriors. If we defend to our best they will still score 18 points and I see no way that we can put up that sort of number given that our best score for the year so far is only 18 and that was in a game where the opposition were atrocious and we had Idris and Rankin playing in their preferred positions.

To be Blunt the team will not win.

It is a perfect chance to put Javarn or Graham to FB.

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post

To be Blunt the team will not win.

It is a perfect chance to put Javarn or Graham to FB.
    I'd rather Rankin back there, but if he and Zillman are injured, I'd rather they use Dowling.

id really like to see Javarn have a go.

against the kiwis, someone who can fight back with the flair.

sigh if bird plays 5/8 there's even more pressure on prince...
    not a good call if that happens...

Quote Originally Posted by patskE View Post
    sigh if bird plays 5/8 there's even more pressure on prince...
    not a good call if that happens...
    my only glimmer of hope here is that when he went to 58th against the raiders, he went wide with long balls to prince or the centres a couple of times, rather than just hit it up and hope for an offload... if he can give champion EARLY ball it could work.

Bird has been close to our best so far this year, trying his ASUS off!

Quote Originally Posted by Tamwelg View Post
    I'd rather Rankin back there, but if he and Zillman are injured, I'd rather they use Dowling.
    Id rather have Rankin where Rankin should be, in the halves which leaves Bird where he should be, in the 2nd row.

I don't think the Warriors will have any problems being 'up' for this game after the loss to the Dogs last week.

It'll be interesting to see how Friendy goes too. He was one of the first guys I picked in my Supercoach team this year and I reckon he will be out to prove a point or two. I'm expecting a pretty big haul from him this week.