Default Employment at the gold coast.

Hi, my partner and i are wanting to move down to the gold coast, or the outskirts of brisbane, cause there is just no work in bundaberg unless you want to do farm work, and i think ive done my fair share of that haha. As it is a much more expensive lifestyle down there, we are both hoping to find work befor we move. She works in childcare, and im after warehousing/labouring work (although id love an apprenticeship, but it seems at 27 thats not going to happen haha). Just wondering if those of you that live down there could tell me if there is much work in these areas available down there?

The Coast isn't that much better off than Bundy, at the moment. Though I think your missus might do alright in the childcare industry in time (but the wages are generally that low, it's nearly criminal). Can't give much of an idea about warehousing/labouring. But since the Global Financial Crisis hit, and the combination of Gold Coast City Council stuffing up the Cities progress, they both have damn near killed off any development on the Coast altogether. Which over the years has been the life blood of the area, next to tourism.

What might be worth considering moreso. Can the pair of you with combined wages be able to afford to live on the Coast? As wages are generally low, and the cost of living can be quite expensive. For example, I've lived on the Coast for some 30 odd years and have since moved to the Wide Bay area, simply because the cost of everything is going through the roof. My annual rates combined with Alconnex (water bill) was costing more than $2200 a year (that's with a discount). Now if you're renting, the landlord is going to slap you with that annually, plus the cost renting the premises as well. A lot of renters in the area I lived in (Northern End), had moved on where their employment options were better, and as you could imagine, a lot of them went to the mines.

I'm not trying to spook you off the idea. As the pair of you might find it an easy transition. Not only that, the coast is going through one of it's numerous slumps (over the years), and is bound to bounce back eventually. Just a matter of time when that eventually happens.
    Last edited by Toads; 07-03-12 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Typo's

yeah, we know we would struggle financially for a while, but its something we are willing to battle through. just need a change of scenery i guess. we are concidering a few different places, just trying to work out where would be our best option haha