Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: GCU GONNNE

Inactive User

No they just culled it down from 15 bids to 10

Strikers and Brisbane City still in play? Tassie and Canberra bids?
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Strikers and Brisbane City still in play? Tassie and Canberra bids?
    I don’t know...now that we’ve been shafted again by those crims at the FFA I have now tuned out again.

United bid loss not end of road
    http://www.gcbulletin.com.au

GOLD Coast United chairman Danny Maher insists the club’s shock omission from Football Federation Australia’s A-League bid shortlist will not kill the club’s dream for a top-flight resurrection.

Maher was left “surprised and disappointed” today when FFA unveiled the 10 clubs – four from NSW, three from Melbourne and one each from Canberra, Brisbane and Ipswich – asked to submit full bids for A-League entry in 2019-20.

Despite the club’s failed ALeague venture from 2009-2012, United were extremely confident their bid would be successful.

However, Maher said the governing body had told him simple geography had cruelled their push, with FFA not interested in basing a team in the region in this expansion phase.

The Bulletin understands Gold Coast City Council’s inability to find the club a permanent training base was also noted by FFA officials.

But with the $25 million backing of an international football consortium led by Jordan Gardner and Brett Johnson, as well as strong grassroots ties and a readymade stadium at Robina, Maher was adamant the club would not give up on its vision.

“This doesn’t kill us, it delays us,” Maher said.

“They loved our bid. They didn’t want to consider this geography at the moment … but they want to consider us in the next phase of the expansion. They do want to add another two teams and that could be just a few years away.

“We asked them specifically about whether the previous incarnation of the club would have an impact, we asked them if the Gold Coast was an area they were interested in and they replied to us that they had put a team on the Gold Coast in the first place because they are interested in the region and that interest has not changed.

“I spoke with (Jordan and Brett) and they were equally disappointed and we will get together next week to discuss the steps from here.

“Our backers were willing to invest $25 million into football in Australia so that’s a huge missed opportunity, not only for the Gold Coast but for football in this country.”

United will now forge ahead with W-League plans, while a spot in a potential ALeague second tier is all but guaranteed. Sports Gold Coast chairman Geoff Smith echoed Maher’s sentiments, saying it was a matter of when, not if, ALeague action returned.

FFA is expected to announce the two successful clubs in October.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

SHORT-LISTED BIDS

› South West Sydney FC
    › United for Macarthur (Sydney)
    › Southern Expansion (Sydney region)
    › Team 11 (Melbourne)
    › South Melbourne FC
    › Western Melbourne Group
    › Brisbane City FC
    › Ipswich Pride FC
    › Canberra & Capital Region
    › Wollongong

Inactive User

My money is on Southern Expansion and Western Melbourne Group

I have no idea how well prepared (convincing that they will thrive in the A-League) some bids are but I am thinking Canberra, Wollongong or perhaps Ipswich. A-League want to expand but adding another Sydney or Melbourne team? I wouldn't. But what do I know.

Inactive User

^^^ the FFA and Fox Sports love the local derbies