Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Kevin Gordon - Discussion Thread

Kevin Gordon - 2013 Discussion Thread

General discussion on match performances, position, injuries, contracts, and anything else.
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 07-04-13 at 10:04 AM.

Gordon faces long road to recovery
    Travis Meyn | 07:30am February 29, 2012

TITANS coach John Cartwright has revealed excitement machine Kevin Gordon could be forced to make his anticipated return to rugby league through the Queensland Cup.

As revealed in the Bulletin yesterday, Gordon was left out of the Titans team for Saturday's NRL season-opener against North Queensland in Townsville because of a knee injury.

Steve Michaels will take the left wing in Gordon's absence while four-gamer Dom Peyroux, who made his debut last year, will play right centre inside David Mead after it emerged Beau Champion would miss at least two weeks because of a finger injury.

Storm-signing Champion dislocated his little finger in the Cowboys trial a fortnight ago and underwent surgery to have a wire inserted in it.

New recruits Jamal Idris, Nate Myles and Luke Douglas will make their debuts in Titans colours against the Cowboys but Cartwright said it may be some time before Gordon played his 52nd NRL match.

"Anything's possible now we're kicking off. If form warrants that guys hold their spot in the side then so be it," Cartwright said when asked about the possibility of Gordon playing Intrust Super Cup.

"He's coming off a knee reconstruction and they're all different.

"One thing we've learnt from the amount we've had over the years is that everyone handles it differently.

"He's not far away but at the moment he's not quite right."

Peyroux earned his start with the Titans last year on the back of star performances for Tweed Heads and injuries to the Gold Coast squad.

Champion had been in cruise control on the way to round 1 but his untimely injury has opened the door for Peyroux to play at least two matches.

"It's funny how opportunities can open up for you," Cartwright said.

"He got his taste of first grade last year and got a new contract with the club.

"He's one guy that really excites us as coaches.

"He's fearless, takes the ball and runs with it and the other players feed off him."

Hooker Matt Srama has been named on a five-man bench alongside Douglas, Matt White, Ben Ridge and Luke O'Dwyer.

Cartwright named the extra man after a virus swept through the squad last week but O'Dwyer is expected to miss out if everyone is passed fit.

Ridge, who has had an injury ravaged career, edged out Bodene Thompson for the second-rower spot on the bench and Cartwright said it was a tough decision.

"That was a very contentious one. There's some guys you'd have no problem putting there," he said.

"Ridgey's had a couple of games of first grade. Physically he's as strong as anyone.

"I rate him very highly and he's in that age bracket where he's got a bit of confidence, has filled out and tips the scales at 104kg. I really think he's a player of the future."

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...st-titans.html

anyone know how kev went 2day?

Junior

He was very quiet in the first 60 mins, the last 20 he started drifting infield chasing the ball more and getting involved, scored a soft try although showed good hands to catch a bad pass to score..
    Henry was moving the ball well to the right, but it was rarely making it to gordons wing.

Really really encouraging to have him back playing footy and to have one tough game under his belt before he comes back for the Titans.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Reason why Kev's not flash Gordon

GOLD Coast winger Kevin Gordon has revealed that an inability to fully straighten his left leg is the reason why he is yet to reclaim his blinding speed this NRL season
    Gordon had a knee reconstruction last season and while he has played every NRL game since round 5, the 23-year-old is still troubled by the injury after he aggravated the issue in a pre-season trial and needs another minor operation once the 2012 season is completed.

Gordon believes he has got back to "85 per cent" of his full speed, but the final edge which became his secret weapon during the early stages of his career won't return until his leg is fully healed and he can resume lower body strength training.

"Right now it feels all right, I think I need to get a bit of a clean-up at the end of the year just so I can fully straighten it," Gordon said.

"I can't fully straighten it at the moment. I haven't been doing any leg weights.

"I'm just trying to get through the year. I'm just waiting to get it straight, then I can get my full strength back and my speed will come back."

Gordon is doing as much as he can to maximise his speed and fitness, including a solo hills sprints session after training yesterday to prime himself for Saturday's must-win away clash with Penrith.

The Titans must beat the Panthers and Manly next week, then rely on other results falling their way.

And while the Titans are still focused on this year, club CEO David May yesterday announced an innovative membership package for 2013 with school-aged kids free with a paying adult membership.

May says the deal can save a family up to $500 a year and can drive average crowds back above 15,000

http://www.heraldsun.com.au

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Titans flyer humbled by honour

RETURNING home to watch the final of a competition named after him, Gold Coast Titans winger Kevin Gordon admits he's honoured to have his name on a trophy for a competition he used to play in himself.

Gordon was part of a strong Jetty High rugby league team not that long ago and he was at Advocate Park today to watch the finals of the high school competitions organised by the ARL Development team.

The trophy for the under-16s competition bears Gordon's name and the Sawtell Panthers junior said he was thrilled when he found out he'd been bestowed with such an honour.

"It's very humbling," Gordon said.

"I only heard about it a couple of weeks ago and it was a surprise when I was told."

The under-14s trophy is named after another Sawtell junior who has shone at the elite level in Clint Greenshields.

After playing for St George/Illawarra Greenshields has been playing for the past six years in the English Super League with Catalans Dragons.

Greenshields went to Toormina High School who unfortunately lost both the under-16s and under-14s finals this afternoon.

ARL Development officer Paul Chambers said this year's competition involved six schools from the local area playing in the three competitions which means 240 kids have been playing a game of rugby league every Wednesday for the past six weeks.

"This competition has been going for about five or six years and has evolved into what it is now after starting with only two schools," Chambers said.

"We offer an incentive of a small amount of prizemoney to the winning team but the kids play for other reasons, mostly that it runs perfectly into sport time at school.

"Woolgoolga High have to travel the 30km every week to play only a couple of games but they wish it ran for longer."

Northern Rivers Echo

In the Panthers game Sterlo and Freddy commented on Kevie's "rug" and likened him to St.George winger John Chapman from the 70's ... I don't know why?

Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Ex-Sawtell speedster Gordon hits that perfect beat

GOLD Coast Titans winger Kevin Gordon has been a big hit with fans this season, scoring three tries from the first five games.

But it is a hit of a different kind that has the 23-year-old Sawtell Panthers junior excited.

A DJ on the Gold Coast in his spare time, Gordon loves busting a dance move and has produced a video clip called Get it to Gordon that has developed a mini cult following on his own website - kevingordon.net.au

"I've been working on a few new beats, which are coming through," he said.

"You've got to find something else outside footy that you like doing, to take your mind off it for a few hours."

Gordon had more than just a few hours to kill in 2011 when he ruptured an anterior cruciate ligament against the Storm in round two, had a full knee reconstruction and missed the rest of the season.

Having always wanted to pack on the muscle, he set about building his upper body strength and ended up setting a new club bench-press record of 150kg.

"I had a bit of time on my hands to work on my upper body," he said.

"These days, Dave Taylor's got it (the record).

"I've stripped down now."

He might have lost a few kilos but the Titans' speedster, who represented the Philippines last year, did not lose any pace.

And with the Titans surprising a few experts by winning three of their first five games, Gordon says he is loving his time on the glitter strip.

"I'm very grateful to be up here on the Gold Coast - everything's turned out to be pretty awesome," he said.

"Just growing up, I always wanted to be big.

"These days, it's just being happy - doing what you do."

http://www.coffscoastadvocate.com.au...-beat/1820155/

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    In the Panthers game Sterlo and Freddy commented on Kevie's "rug" and likened him to St.George winger John Chapman from the 70's ... I don't know why?

Haha I love it.

The hair has to go. It is sub consciously telling him he can only run in "One Direction"

See what I did there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Gold Coast Titans winger Kevin Gordon looking to return to top speed after knee injury

TITANS winger Kevin Gordon would not wish a knee reconstruction on anyone but believes the debilitating injury has made him better on and off the field.
    Gordon goes head-to-head with form Knights winger Akuila Uate on Sunday when the Titans host Newcastle at Skilled Park.

But the 23-year-old flyer is not daunted by the challenge, having regained form, speed and confidence after a long battle back from knee surgery.

"I don't think I'd want to be marking anyone else," Gordon said.

"He's one of the best wingers going around at the moment and if you want to be the best, you've got to beat the best, so I'm looking forward to it."

Gordon has regained his mantle as a strike weapon for the Titans but admits it has taken time.

"It does (take time to regain your confidence), it's always in your head," Gordon said of the injury.

"It's been two years just of it being sore.

"This year hopefully I'll get my confidence back and be all good.

"I reckon in the next six months I'll get back to my top speed."

There were uncertain days in the recovery, which included a second bout of surgery last year to clean out the knee.

But Gordon believes the process has made him a better person and player.

"Just with all the community work and promos I did while I was injured, that made me a better person, I reckon."

And it's had its benefits on the field as well, with Gordon adding to his attacking ****nal with a right-leg jump.

"Ever since I did my left knee, I've been able to jump off my right leg and being on the left side of the field, that's what you've got to do," he said.

"So I've taken that out of it as a positive. That's all you can do. You can't change the past.

"I've got to let it go and just try to get the positive out of whatever I can get."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nr...-1226629600742
    2013 - Sezer's breakout year

For him to play to his strength he needs the ball in his hands from a back line move, this means Birdie has to let go of at least one or 2 of his 25 hit ups per game.

It's getting beyond a joke of how little ball he has got over the last 2 seasons.
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

That's sort of right Teke but in fairness Bird is the second row out there not the centre. Backline moves need the centre passing it, if he wants the ball from Bird he needs to run off his shoulder.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    That's sort of right Teke but in fairness Bird is the second row out there not the centre. Backline moves need the centre passing it, if he wants the ball from Bird he needs to run off his shoulder.
    birds instinct is get ball hit up and do whatever the tongue desires after that. I'd prefer cutting bird out a few times
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]