Default Titans flyer losing battle to be fit

Titans flyer losing battle to be fit

Travis Meyn | 12:01am February 25, 2012

Kevin Gordon is struggling to recover from a knee injury. Pic: Kit de Guymer
    TITANS crowd favourite Kevin Gordon is losing a gallant battle to be fit for Round 1, with a knee injury set to rule the Gold Coast flyer out of next Saturday's season-opener against North Queensland.

The Titans finished their pre-season campaign this week with a three-day camp at Ballina where it emerged Jordan Rankin would snare the key five-eighth role.

Rankin and Will Zillman have been auditioning for the position and coach John Cartwright is yet to make a final decision, however Rankin is likely to partner captain Scott Prince in the halves after three solid trials.

With the five-eighth dilemma close to being solved, the other starting side selection problem is Gordon, with the speedster to be given until Monday to prove his fitness after copping a knock to his left knee during the Broncos trial a fortnight ago.

It is a crushing blow for the speedster, who underwent a knee reconstruction last year and worked hard in his off-season rehabilitation.

The 21-year-old was initially expected to be fit for the Townsville clash against the Cowboys but swelling around the reconstructed knee is yet to subside.

Gordon has been on a limited training program for the past week and it is expected Titans medical staff will err on the side of caution with the electrifying winger.

Gordon's omission opens the door for battler Steve Michaels to move on to the left wing outside star centre Jamal Idris.

Hooker Matt Srama (shoulder injury) trained strongly at Ballina and is confident of being available for selection when Cartwright names his team on Tuesday.

www.goldcoast.com.au
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

YES RANKIN IS 5/8!! ZILLMAN TO BE DALLY M FOR 2012 AND TO TOP THE TRY SCORING CHARTS!!!!

Why not Phil Graham on the wing if Gordon is injured?

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titans View Post
    Why not Phil Graham on the wing if Gordon is injured?
    I agree with you. Phil Graham adds speed and experience to the backs. I would be dissapointed if Michaels does get selected.

Isnt anyone happy that Zillman will be fullback and Rankin will be at 5/8?!?!?

yep happy with that combo

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    yep happy with that combo
    Rankin is good with throwing cut outs. He can pass the ball really well.

As for Zillman he will just score tries. He will be back to what he does best.
    ''Unfortunately my dad is not around anymore, but I know he'll be watching down on me and I just want to make him proud." - Jordan Rankin

Graham injured his ankle last year in training. Not sure if he is fit yet?

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...st-titans.html

I would push for Peyroux on that wing because of his height and robustness. Michaels is a goer but he has serious defensive issues in both height and speedbumpness.

Rankin at 6 and Zillman and I will finally shut up about it IF it's true.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

peyroux defended well when i saw him last year, and he is the future more than michaels. would be happy to see him there.

If Michaels plays well against the Cowboys Kev might have to do some time in Q Cup.

This article shows precisely why we are all so optimistic about 2012. There has never been another time in our history where we have had so many options. For the first time ever we actually have depth.

I really am rapt to read that Carty has had Rankin training at 5/8 because Zillman has ALWAYS been our first choice fullback. There are going to be some growing pains with Rankin in there however and Carty and the rest of the team are going to have to show some patience with him.

I like the call for Peyroux - I am definitely a fan of his work, mainly because he won me $500 on a footy double last year!! He or Michaels will do a good job outside Idris and really the success or failure of the team will not be determined by the winger. A bit of Q Cup time is exactly what Gordon needs I reckon to get a bit of confidence back. The NRL is not the place for a player who is looking to return to form. While we have options we should use them and get Kev back only when he is ready to show his blistering best.

Graham broke bones in his wrist which kept him out of all of the trials.

He may be a bit short of a run but he would still be my pick.