Default Titans links to Ipswich Jets under threat. Jets look to Broncos

Titans cut Jets' burners

IPSWICH JETS have only two senior Gold Coast Titans players assigned to them this year and will launch their assault on the Queensland Cup with a squad made up almost solely of locally contracted players.

The Jets are technically a Titans' feeder club and that arrangement will remain in place until the end of the 2012 season.

The Titans have informed the Jets that this year they will be allocating the majority of their players to Tweed Heads and Burleigh.

Jets CEO Brad Wolens has a good working relationship with Titans football manager Scott Clark and said the Gold Coast had been up front about their intentions.

The Jets have also been up front about their own negotiations with the Brisbane Broncos.

The Jets held a meeting with the Broncos to discuss the possibility of coming under their umbrella in future.

"The only two Titans players that are in our pool are Matt Srama and prop Luke Page because they are Ipswich juniors," Wolens said.

"The Titans have said they are looking to pool their players closer to home and some of the players had issues having to drive up to Ipswich. So they've said they'll send up the Ipswich kids for the next 12 months and then we'll reassess our contract at the end of the year.

"We would have liked to have a few more players in our pool this year but it hasn't worked out that way. It just opens the door for a few more of the young players in our own squad."

http://www.news-mail.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I would be very upset to lose Ipswich who are an important part of QLD RL.

I don't see how the Broncos can serve them better. They already have far more feeder teams than us and Ipswich is still quite a drive from Brisbane.

I'm disappointed that once we lost Burleigh Bears to the Broncos, they returned but not it seems tha Ipswich are going to break ranks.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I think it boils down to service ... my experience with QCup club administration is that they tread a very fine line between profit and doom ... their loyalty is on a par with SBW's.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Some clubs were flying their players up to Queensland from Melbourne, Canberra and Manly and a few of our players whinged about an hours drive (if that)? I think Ipswich is a great nursery however there is benefit to the Titans in condensing the spread of our players, unfortunately it is at the expense of the Qld Cup. There are a few players not in the Titans senior squad that could be handy from the Ipswich team should we have any injury concerns. Let's see how it pans out. The sydney clubs mostly only have 1 "reserve" grade team to send their player back to so potentially have an advantage, although the fewer NRL standard players the more responsibility that falls onto those players who do go back.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

I really believe we should be keeping all our players together so that they have cohesion when and if they are eventually called up to the top grade. Spreading them out only opens them up to opinions and systems that are not in line with what we are trying to instill in them at the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Dad View Post
    I really believe we should be keeping all our players together so that they have cohesion when and if they are eventually called up to the top grade. Spreading them out only opens them up to opinions and systems that are not in line with what we are trying to instill in them at the Titans.
    I agree 100% but we would require a reserve grade for that to happen & thats something that won't happen, i'd like to see the Toyota Cup age be lifted to 23 which will make the quality of player & the game much stronger
    #itaintweaktospeak