Default Our love of rugby league is seen on the fields

Our love of rugby league is seen on the fields

THE start of any new rugby league season always brings with it a great sense of anticipation and excitement. But the buzz and interest leading into the 2012 season is reaching new heights.

With the ARL Commission about to begin its charter to nurture and develop the game, rugby league is in a position of strength, from grassroots through to the elite level.

All of which makes Paul Pottinger's attack on the rugby league code bewildering to say the least.

Pottinger is entitled to his opinion and the publishers of his rant have succeeded in their obvious quest to draw a reaction from rugby league supporters by setting loose their esteemed motoring writer.

I won't be drawn into responding to all of Pottinger's ill-informed claims as I believe the qualities associated with rugby league, along with its rich and diverse history, speak volumes already.

But, as a custodian of the game, I feel the need to briefly highlight some of the positive aspects of rugby league and reinforce how important the sport is to so many individuals, families and communities.

One has to look no further than this time a year ago when many parts of Queensland were devastated by natural disasters. The rugby league fraternity banded together, with state loyalties quickly forgotten, through the staging of the Legends of Origin charity match in Parramatta and many other initiatives.

Some of the most generous acts came from small clubs like Sydney's Kellyville Bushrangers, who "adopted" the Theodore Roosters after the tiny central Queensland club was brought to its knees.

The National Rugby League showed great leadership through this period. The Brisbane Broncos, Gold Coast Titans and North Queensland Cowboys assisted in clean-up efforts and lifted the spirits of many. A host of Sydney teams and the New Zealand Warriors also turned out in force, with some clubs even paying their own way.

Remarkably, all junior and senior competitions in Queensland started on time and this amazing accomplishment was assisted by the efforts of the Rebuilding Rugby League Committee, which generated financial support for clubs and families.

Pottinger talks about how good it is to enjoy the "golden silence of January" without "news of yet another player's off-field atrocity".

Perhaps things are quiet right now because NRL players and coaches are working tirelessly in pursuit of winning a premiership for their fans. Or perhaps the players are immersed in programs and community work - but that's not significant enough to reach Pottinger's news desk, is it?

Educational programs aren't just being undertaken by elite NRL players either. Participants involved in state-based competitions and junior carnivals partake in mandatory sessions covering important life skills while, in remote Cape areas, clubs like the Northern Pride have their own programs that reach thousands of indigenous children.

Rugby league continues to embrace indigenous people through initiatives like the highly successful All Stars match held annually on the Gold Coast. The All Stars program also includes an under-16 indigenous representative game that provides a wonderful opportunity for young talent. This year's match could quite easily unearth the next Arthur Beetson.

One of the game's immortals, Beetson was such an influential figure in not only rugby league but Australian sport that his death late last year triggered an outpouring of emotion right across the country. The public tribute to him at Suncorp Stadium reinforced his contribution to the game and provided yet another example of rugby league's standing in society.

Pottinger also steadfastly insists that rugby league is all about its "gladiatorial" image.

But junior league, which accounts for more than half of the sport's participation numbers in Australia, is about fun and fitness and friendship.

The Queensland Rugby League is about to launch its junior sign-on campaign for 2012. The slogan says it all, "Great Game. Great Mates. Great Fun. For Life!".

More than 45,000 juniors and 15,000 senior players are expected to run around on Queensland rugby league fields this year. They'll be supported by thousands of volunteers - mums, dads, uncles, aunties, brothers, sisters and family friends.

Some volunteers will have no family involvement, but they'll happily devote hundreds of hours throughout the season. Why? Because they love the game.

----------

Robert Moore is chief executive of Queensland Rugby League

http://www.couriermail.com.au/
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

It's not healthy to hate a sport like that...I feel sorry for the guy.
    There are some sports that don't suit me or I don't want to play but how can you hate a sport that so many support?

Paul Pottinger was very hypocritical with his column but what stands out the most was his jealousy.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/ru...-1226237188379

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    It's not healthy to hate a sport like that...I feel sorry for the guy.
    There are some sports that don't suit me or I don't want to play but how can you hate a sport that so many support?

Paul Pottinger was very hypocritical with his column but what stands out the most was his jealousy.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/ru...-1226237188379
    It was a disgrace of an article, no other sport has to put up with this sort of persistent bull****. I just cant believe it is from the company that "owns" half the game.

You are right Chaos, jealousy, that is truly why we cop it left right and centre.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Thanks for posting the link to original Chaos ... and what do you notice? The author is a car salesman ... lol@pottinger.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.