Default Matthew Johns rejects job on The Footy Show unless Paul 'Fatty' Vautin quits

MATTHEW Johns has knocked back a lucrative return to Channel 9's The Footy Show because the network refused to sack host Paul Vautin.

9.30am UPDATE: The Footy Show can't succeed with Fatty. Check out what Matt Johns had to say on morning radio.

Despite being offered more than $500,000 a season, Johns rejected the formal approach after Nine stuck by Vautin and declined to hand over the show's creative control to Johns.

"They said 'We're going to reinvent the show' but, for mine, it's not going to be reinvented," Johns said. "I don't want to go back to the past. I (enjoyed) my time on that show ... but it's going to be the same show and I've been there and done that."

Johns' manager and friend, millionaire ad man John Singleton, said The Footy Show would continue its dwindling ratings while Vautin - whom he described as "an average footballer, an average TV talent" - continued to host the show.

Channel 9 formally offered Johns a contract to return last week, with the figure in excess of the $500,000 a season he received when he was last on Nine.

"We have been offered in writing more money then he ever got before on Nine and he knocked it back," Singleton said. The offer was rejected yesterday because, crucially, Nine refused to cede creative control to Johns.

"You cannot work unless you have creative control, production control, and we weren't given that," Singleton said.

Johns said it was about "principle" and not money.

"What excited me when I first made contact was they asked me if I was interested in coming back to basically a new show," Johns said.

"They said, 'we're going to reinvent the show' but, for mine, it's not going to be reinvented. I don't want to go back to the past. I've had my time on that show and enjoyed it but it's going to be the same show and I've been there and done that."

'I don't want to be a coach' - Matty tells why

Nine Network managing director Jeff Browne said Paul 'Fatty' Vautin had been "a loyal servant for 18 years" and he wasn't prepared to move him on to get someone else on the show. "If they don't want Fatty on the show and they don't want to do it, that's their decision," Browne said.

Johns was sacked by Nine three years ago but returned to TV in 2010 with his own program on Channel 7, which received moderate ratings.

With The Footy Show continuing to slide in the ratings, Singleton and Johns have been in secret negotiations for months with Nine about a return. Browne said a number of issues remain unresolved, with Vautin a stumbling block both sides refuse to budge on.

But Singleton said Nine was refusing to acknowledge a blatant truth - that The Footy Show's failing ratings were because viewers had turned off Vautin.

"There's no more over-rated footballer in the history of football than Fatty Vautin and no more over-rated coach," Singleton said.

"He was an average footballer, he's an average TV talent, but he has been lucky and good luck to him.

"(PBL boss David) Gyngell has got the typical eastern suburbs attitude - come last, hire a superstar, and you'll win the comp. The whole show needs to be blown up. It needs to start again."

Vautin was unavailable for comment last night. He is preparing to head overseas for his wedding anniversary.

But his manager and best friend John Gibbs leapt to his defence after being told about Singleton's comments.

"Singo is entitled to his opinion, but Paul has played 13 Test matches, 22 State of Origins, 238 first grade games, including captaining Manly to a premiership win in 1987," Gibbs said.

"I'm loath to get involved, but on the television hosting side he has been hosting the show for 18 years and it's got six Logies, so if you think that is not good enough, fair enough."
    #itaintweaktospeak

I had respect for Singo & what he has tried to do for the game but to bag Fatty as an "Average Footballer" he is kidding , u don't play13 Test matches, 22 State of Origins, 238 first grade games, & captaining Manly to a premiership win in 1987 if u are an average footballer...

At least Fatty can say he's the best Rugby League player in his family
    #itaintweaktospeak

I completely concur Pete. Fatty may not be everyone's cup of tea but then again Singo hasn't been all beer & skittles either AND he never played for the Wests Panthers.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

QLD Cup Titan

I love it when Matty was on the footy show but you can't have just all that funny stuff he does (sometimes bordering on the weirdo side of things IMO) and not have the proper more serious side of things that Fatty and Sterlo bring when on the show. The ratings may dwindle but for me - I still love the footy show :-)

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    I had respect for Singo & what he has tried to do for the game but to bag Fatty as an "Average Footballer" he is kidding , u don't play13 Test matches, 22 State of Origins, 238 first grade games, & captaining Manly to a premiership win in 1987 if u are an average footballer...

At least Fatty can say he's the best Rugby League player in his family
    Dead set right. And it hints at the arrogance going on behind the scenes.

They want complete creative control. Actually they dont even want the Footy Show. They dont want the time slot, the talent or the name.

Singo should stick to his Wests Magpies.... sorry his Newtown Jets... sorry his Central Coast Bears... What a disgrace of a comment. Absolute arrogance.

I like Paul as a bloke and he was a good footballer with a big heart. Im not the biggest fan of the Footy Show, in fact I think it has been a joke for well over a decade.

But you got to call a spade a spade. And Singo and Matty's actions smack of arrogance.

Matty is a talent, that is for sure. Seems Fox Sports is after him now. Makes sense, I love Warren Smith but you wouldnt call him a blue chip, recognisable talent like Eddie McGuire. It would also give more reason to axing the League Lounge. And not renewing Simon Woolford.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Also talk of a "revamp" of the Footy Show is an annual injoke.

I'll tell you how to improve it, get rid of the "Big Marn", I can well and truly do without his crap jokes about him being over weight.

Keep Fittler though. Love that guy.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

It isnt as good as it used to be but i still watch, but i watch it for the footy related stuff, the skits are not funny at all. More interviews with players and more talk on tactics would be good.
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).