Default Manly 'Warringan' jersey blooper adds to curse

Manly 'Warringan' jersey blooper adds to curse

FORMER Super League boss John Ribot once famously declared he'd put rugby league on the map in Asia.

It turns out 15 years later the Chinese can't even spell the name of our NRL premiers.

In an embarrassing blunder that will cost jersey manufacturer ISC tens of thousands of dollars, Manly-Warringah has been spelt Manly Warringan on jerseys made at a small factory in Beijing.

The flawed stock has already been distributed into Australia's major rugby league outlets including Peter Wynn's Score at Parramatta and Rebel at Warringah Mall.

Most jerseys purchased as Christmas presents more than likely have the spelling mistake above the Sea Eagles logo.

The error has been found on both home and away jerseys and wet weather jackets.

Manly officials had no idea of the problem until alerted by The Daily Telegraph this week.

Owner and chairman Scott Penn said: "I've got one here in my office - it's perfect."

Penn's jersey is one of a small number still manufactured by ISC in Australia.

"I'll look into it," he said when emailed a photo with the incorrect spelling.

The jersey problem continues a totally forgettable six months for the NRL premiers, who sacked their longest-serving official Peter Peters, lost their coach Des Hasler to Canterbury and lost Will Hopoate to the Parramatta Eels (via a Mormon mission) along with all the boardroom and ownership squabbles.

Peter Wynn said he was first alerted to the problem on Monday when a customer who had purchased a jersey over the weekend, complained.

"It's highly unusual for a reputable company like ISC," Wynn said.

"Very uncharacteristic.

"There's such a long checking process - the factory that makes them, the manufacturer, the NRL and then the club.

"All they can do is recall the stock and make sure our customers get the right ones for the start of the season."

ISC has confirmed about 1000 items will have to be recalled. At $169 a jersey, it's a mistake that will cost the company a minimum $100,000.

Manly's commercial director Greg Butterworth confirmed the bad jerseys had been distributed to at least 20 retail outlets and some had been found in the club's own supporters store.

"It's irritating and it's a nuisance," Butterworth said, "but it won't cost us anything because ISC have agreed to replace it all straight away. It's just like a product recall.

"They also have a factory in Australia that is used for urgent supplies. We couldn't just let it go because it's our brand and we have to protect it."There have been a couple of complaints but most people have had a bit of a laugh and come in to replace it."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nr...-1226241243546
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Sometimes I nearly feel sorry for Manly!

Youd think that this would be impossible to happen. I can't believe that it went through the checking process.

I guess people think that the emblem is an image and thus can't change. Well it was probably sent in a vector file format, someone opened it by mistake and altered the text or tried to re-type the text but did it incorrectly.

I want one! Collectors item!
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    I want one! Collectors item!
    I was thinking that myself!