Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Linnett to debut in round 1 starting side

28/02/2012 12:21:23 PM

Kane Linnett has won the race for a starting centre position in the Toyota Cowboys’ backline and will make his NRL debut for North Queensland against the Gold Coast Titans in the 2012 season opener at Dairy Farmers Stadium on Saturday night.

However, Linnett’s main rival for the left centre job, Antonio Winterstein, has not missed out and will be on the wing in his first game since suffering pectoral and shoulder damage in round 14 of last season.

Linnett joined the Cowboys on a two-year contract at the end of 2011 after playing 23 NRL matches for the Roosters, including the 2010 grand final, while injuries restricted Winterstein to just nine matches in his first season with the Cowboys.

Co-captain Johnathan Thurston and Ray Thompson will continue as the Cowboys’ halves pairing, although they have swapped the number six and seven jerseys they played in last season.

Gavin Cooper, Glenn Hall and Dallas Johnson have won the keenly contested starting back-row slots, with coach Neil Henry naming another four forwards, including hooker James Segeyaro, on the interchange bench.

Johnson, prop James Tamou and winger Ashley Graham have been cleared to play after missing the pre-season trial which the Cowboys lost 36-28 against the Titans in Mackay.

Saturday night’s match kicks off at 8.30pm (Qld time) and will be live on Fox Sports and 4TOFM – follow our Twitter feed @nthqldcowboys for live score updates.

Match tickets are available by going to www.ticketek.com.au, visiting a Ticketek outlet or by calling 132 849.

To join as a Toyota Cowboys member, contact the Membership Team on 1300 GO COWBOYS (1300 462 692) or visit www.cowboys.com.au/membership.

North Queensland Toyota Cowboys v Titans
    Round 1, 2012 NRL Telstra Premiership
    8.30pm, Saturday 3 March, Dairy Farmers Stadium
    1. Matthew Bowen
    2. Ashley Graham
    3. Brent Tate
    4. Kane Linnett
    5. Antonio Winterstein
    6. Johnathan Thurston (c)
    7. Ray Thompson
    8. Matthew Scott (c)
    9. Aaron Payne
    10. James Tamou
    11. Gavin Cooper
    12. Glenn Hall
    13. Dallas Johnson

Interchange:
    14. James Segeyaro
    15. Scott Bolton
    16. Jason Taumalolo
    17. Ashton Sims

Coach: Neil Henry

www.cowboys.com.au
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

Luke Douglas earned his reputation as an 80 minute player. The decision to start him on the bench is ridiculous. Minichello offers us a change of gears off the bench, he could make a real impact after 20 or 30 minutes running at tired forwards on the fringes. I hope this is a smokescreen from Carty because keeping Douglas on the bench means we don't start the game with our best 13 players.

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    Luke Douglas earned his reputation as an 80 minute player. The decision to start him on the bench is ridiculous. Minichello offers us a change of gears off the bench, he could make a real impact after 20 or 30 minutes running at tired forwards on the fringes. I hope this is a smokescreen from Carty because keeping Douglas on the bench means we don't start the game with our best 13 players.
    Carty must have owed Mini something to be put ahead of Douglas. With all the fullback & 5/8 issues being discussed over the preseason, management throws a lightning bolt from left field and sticks a good 80min prop on the bench

It should be Bailey on the bench not Douglas.

I think u have hit the nail on the Head mate , Mini's days of starting are over & he'll be a great impact player off the bench, at least he'll keep his no12
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Carty must have owed Mini something to be put ahead of Douglas. With all the fullback & 5/8 issues being discussed over the preseason, management throws a lightning bolt from left field and sticks a good 80min prop on the bench

It should be Bailey on the bench not Douglas.
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    I think u have hit the nail on the Head mate , Mini's days of starting are over & he'll be a great impact player off the bench, at least he'll keep his no12
    Whats with the assumption that Mini got picked over Douglas for the starting 13? Mini runs on the edge, Douglas runs up the middle. If anyone, it's Myles & Bailey who got picked over Douglas... Besides, our entire staring forward pack are capable of 80min or making an impact off the bench.

No smokescreen needed, Carty's plan looks obvious (and typical) to me; every player on the bench are guys who work the center of the field - We'll be going straight up the middle all night! Then Bird & Dom and Idris & Mini will work their edges close to the line. Poor Kane Linnett is gonna have a tough debut holding those monsters back

Mini has been our best meter eater for years, no surprise to me he keeps his #12. Put me down for Mini first try scorer Sat night
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

I promised no negativity until the team had shown what its got ... oh how my fingers are twitching :-)
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    I promised no negativity until the team had shown what its got ... oh how my fingers are twitching :-)
    I think I can read your mind anyway.....
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

I seriously could not believe the lineup when I saw it..

Its a disgrace that Douglas is on the bench..

Mini, you're a good guy but your place is on the bench.

I dont understand why Brenton Lawrence wasnt picked and ridge was..

Mini is enough of a backup 2ndrower/impact on the bench..

Seriously after all the stupid decisions coming from cartwright last season/this season I hope that they move him on if the team doesnt perform..

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Whats with the assumption that Mini got picked over Douglas for the starting 13? Mini runs on the edge, Douglas runs up the middle. If anyone, it's Myles & Bailey who got picked over Douglas... Besides, our entire staring forward pack are capable of 80min or making an impact off the bench.

No smokescreen needed, Carty's plan looks obvious (and typical) to me; every player on the bench are guys who work the center of the field - We'll be going straight up the middle all night! Then Bird & Dom and Idris & Mini will work their edges close to the line. Poor Kane Linnett is gonna have a tough debut holding those monsters back

Mini has been our best meter eater for years, no surprise to me he keeps his #12. Put me down for Mini first try scorer Sat night
    Excellent post.

The assumption about Mini comes about because his selection has forced a SOO backrower up to prop. I think you're spot on with what you say about Carty's game plan being route 1 football (aka Straight Up The Guts!!). I had hoped that our overhauled squad would force Carty to overhaul his thinking and allow us to play more expansive football.

That may happen as the season progresses but for now I'll take results over style if that is what eventuates.

Will be an interesting battle in the middle...the stand out best prop in the game will be against us, locating right in the middle.

Cowboys have the best pack in the comp...I was hoping we would be attacking the Cowboys halves to limit their scoring potential.

Anyhow...it will be fun to watch.

Junior

The main weakness I see in the cowboys will be the right side (assuming Hall will be on the right). I think hall is a decent player, but I have noticed he can get lazy in defence. Young Ray will have to do a lot of tackling to fill the gaps.

Not happy about Douglas on the bench (not only for my dreamteam, but for our tactics also). Otherwise, Im happy Dom is getting another shot in the centres. Meady should be in for a hat trick..

Just bomb to Ash Graham and we should win!

Excellent post.

The assumption about Mini comes about because his selection has forced a SOO backrower up to prop. I think you're spot on with what you say about Carty's game plan being route 1 football (aka Straight Up The Guts!!). I had hoped that our overhauled squad would force Carty to overhaul his thinking and allow us to play more expansive football.

That may happen as the season progresses but for now I'll take results over style if that is what eventuates.
    Mini has played on that edge his entire career, and for the last 5 yrs both Mini and the Titans have benefited from his form there. He hasn't forced anyone anywhere, he has simply (and rightfully) retained his position of 5yrs. As far as I know it is only arm chair coaches on this forum who had relegated him to the bench during the off season.

Nate Myles has probably played as much of his career in the middle as he has on the edges - including some of those Origin games. And again, it was only people on this forum who penciled him into the second row - He has been publicized as a front row recruit since his signing.

For the last few years this forum has been screaming for a top level front rower to partner Bailey - Searle & Carty went out and bought two. For years this forum has been whinging about not having specialized centers - Searle & Carty went out and bought two. And for years the forum has been screaming about a young specialized 5/8 - Searle & Carty went out and bought two, and promoted another from u20's.
    NOW WHAT THE **** ARE YOU ALL WHINGING ABOUT?

Our most promising season to date is yet to kick off, and we already have fans bagging the coach over round 1 selections
    Pull ya heads in and stop complaining - worst case scenario we have an origin prop and two origin back rowers in the starting side, a 'likely' Origin prop on the bench, and a 'possible' third origin back rower in the starting side

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    Will be an interesting battle in the middle...the stand out best prop in the game will be against us, locating right in the middle.

Cowboys have the best pack in the comp...I was hoping we would be attacking the Cowboys halves to limit their scoring potential.

Anyhow...it will be fun to watch.
    Agree, it will be an excellent battle in the middle.
    The Cowboys have a great pack, but ours is arguably better on paper. I'm confident they can win the battle in the middle well enough to hold the majority of possession & field position - which at the same time should minimize Thurston's, Payne's and Bowen's attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The main weakness I see in the cowboys will be the right side (assuming Hall will be on the right). I think hall is a decent player, but I have noticed he can get lazy in defence. Young Ray will have to do a lot of tackling to fill the gaps.

Not happy about Douglas on the bench (not only for my dreamteam, but for our tactics also). Otherwise, Im happy Dom is getting another shot in the centres. Meady should be in for a hat trick..

Just bomb to Ash Graham and we should win!
    I also think their weakness will be on the edges.
    They have a debutante on one edge and Tate carry a painful rib injury on the other - and Thurston & Thompson aren't exactly gonna make up any defensive shortfalls for them. On top of that, those poor guys are gonna be defending our hard hitting MONSTER edge runners! It was only a few weeks ago I witnessed Idris putting the likes of Manu Vatevi and Luke Bailey on their humble backsides in spectacular fashion

Dreamteam wise - I'd be trading Douglas for Dallas Johnson. The Cowboys back row will be making alot of point scoring tackles Saturday night

Ryan,

your spot on with everyone whingeing.. we are spoilt for choice.

imagine we have Douglas of the bench, Ryan James, a future enforecer back soon, Faloon soon and then pick one from White, Bodene, Ridge, BJ etc...

A large part of Cartwrights job this year will be man management,keeping those on the edge of the squad interested in hanging around and not taking what will likely be decent offers to other clubs... If he can get a real team bond and a sense of cause we have a dynamite squad to grow with the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Mini has played on that edge his entire career, and for the last 5 yrs both Mini and the Titans have benefited from his form there. He hasn't forced anyone anywhere, he has simply (and rightfully) retained his position of 5yrs. As far as I know it is only arm chair coaches on this forum who had relegated him to the bench during the off season.

Nate Myles has probably played as much of his career in the middle as he has on the edges - including some of those Origin games. And again, it was only people on this forum who penciled him into the second row - He has been publicized as a front row recruit since his signing.

For the last few years this forum has been screaming for a top level front rower to partner Bailey - Searle & Carty went out and bought two. For years this forum has been whinging about not having specialized centers - Searle & Carty went out and bought two. And for years the forum has been screaming about a young specialized 5/8 - Searle & Carty went out and bought two, and promoted another from u20's.
    NOW WHAT THE **** ARE YOU ALL WHINGING ABOUT?

Our most promising season to date is yet to kick off, and we already have fans bagging the coach over round 1 selections
    Pull ya heads in and stop complaining - worst case scenario we have an origin prop and two origin back rowers in the starting side, a 'likely' Origin prop on the bench, and a 'possible' third origin back rower in the starting side
    Great post and you are correct about us whinging. Probably need to wait and see what happens in Round 1.
    Prince and Sezer in the halves.