Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan
    I for one wouldn't call her (Pearce's daughter) a liar though would like to know where the charges are for the alleged groping? Even if not from the Pearce family, what about Penrith?
    That has always bugged me: the lack of charges for the alleged groping. In my mind it raises alot of questions. Did the events actually occur? Or were the Pearce family persuaded to not press charges? The last thing rugby league needs is for this to drag on, let it be over and done with and move on

WOW there are a heap of articles on this issue ATM.. In the telegraph today I read that TAB and Centrebet have suspended betting on the Top 8 and Wooden Spoon markets after it was found that someone had bet $2000 for Penrith to come last..

And now Tony Puletua is saying he will give up the captaincy for Gower to be happy.. I think Penrith are in trouble ATM sadly.. however I reckon giving Gower back the captaincy would be giving in to the issue of what occured..

From:http://www.sundaytelegraph.news.com....-28780,00.html

Puletua: I'll give up skipper's job
    By Peter Badel
    February 5, 2006

NEW Penrith skipper Tony Puletua has revealed he will gladly return the captaincy to Craig Gower to restore peace at the troubled Panthers, declaring: "I never wanted the job."

As Penrith officials yesterday doused speculation Gower had sought a release ? despite fresh interest from two British clubs ? Puletua vowed to relinquish the post to prevent Gower walking out on the club.

It is understood Gower is less than pleased that Puletua offered to replace him as captain following an alcohol-fuelled incident on the Sunshine Coast in December.

But the Kiwi Test star denied he had fallen out with his teammate of nine seasons. "I'd be happy to give the captaincy back to Craig ? the last thing I want is for him to be unhappy," Puletua told The Sunday Telegraph.

"I have been good mates with Craig for a long time and nothing has changed.

"There's no drama at all between us. If this (the captaincy) is an issue for him, I'll give it up, for sure.

"In my eyes, Craig has always been the leader at this club. He should be the captain ? hopefully the club can sort this situation out because it would be a massive blow if Gowie left the Panthers.

"I was shocked when I heard he had apparently asked for a release. I just hope it's not true."

Contacted by The Sunday Telegraph yesterday, Gower's manager Greg Willett insisted his client had no intention of getting out of a $2 million deal that has four years to run.

"To ask for a release you need to send a formal letter ? I haven't done anything like that," said Willett, who met Penrith coach John Lang and chief executive Mick Leary on Friday.

However, Willett confirmed he had received interest from Castleford and Salford.

Despite denials, Gower is furious about his treatment by Penrith. He is applying for a European passport ? his mother Maria is Italian ? which means he would not be counted as an import if he considered a move to England.

Lang slammed claims Penrith were a club divided over the captaincy issue.

He also queried suggestions Gower was livid with the club ? a belief fuelled by the fact not one Panthers teammate was invited to his wedding eight days ago.

"I have not had one hint to suggest Craig was unhappy here and would want out," Lang said. "I could not fault Craig's attitude. He has trained as hard as anyone. As far as the boys are concerned, team harmony is fine."

Puletua revealed he never truly coveted the Penrith captaincy.

"To be honest, I didn't want the job in the first place," he said.

"After what happened, the club was going through a tough time and they (Penrith board) felt it was best if I took over the captaincy."

The hulking back-rower conceded the Gower affair had the potential to destabilise the club.

"I spoke to a few of the boys and we're a bit concerned. We just want Penrith to get to the bottom of it," Puletua said.

As Queenslander said the sooner this goes away the better..

Well actually I just want it to go away so I can put money on the Roosters to get the spoon , just kidding..
    Last edited by Titanium_BD1103; 05-02-06 at 10:51 AM.

This all just serves as a timely remindert that players need to be vigilant and careful when they are in the public eye.

I personally wouldnt want my club to sign him - and if he leaves because he is unhappy with his treatment, then I would say goodbye happily. Wether he groped or not - he still put himself in the situation where there was a chance of controversy. Players need to realise that despite the unfairness of the situation they cant act like regular people in the public eye - that means no excessive drinking and womanising etc.

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Default Heartbroken Gower may want out

Heartbroken Gower may want out
    By Dean Ritchie
    February 6, 2006

CRAIG Gower's health has deteriorated badly and he is heartbroken at Penrith's decision to dump him as captain, his manager revealed last night.

And manager Greg Willett also said Gower felt "let down" by the Panthers.

Gower returns home on Wednesday from his honeymoon in Vietnam and will hold crisis talks with Penrith later in the week.

Indications are Gower will request a release and sign with Melbourne.

The Australian Tri-Nations halfback remains angry at losing the captaincy and being fined $100,000 ($70,000 suspended) after a drunken weekend at a Jack Newton charity golf day on the Sunshine Coast late last year.

"I've never seen him so white and sick," Willett told The Daily Telegraph.

"He was so disappointed how it [his sacking and fine] was done.

"He didn't look good.

"It affected him badly. His health was no good and he was heartbroken.

"This isn't about football or any amount of money.

"It's about his health.

"If he stays [at Penrith] and it affects his health, he should get out. He's hurting."

Willett said the crux of his meeting last week with Penrith officials was to discuss Gower's health. The Penrith halfback ended up in hospital suffering from depression after his well-publicised sacking from the Test team in 1999 for exposing himself to an Irish backpacker at the Coogee Bay Hotel.

"I was worried about him." Willett said.

"There has been an emotional strain on him. That's why I went to Penrith.

"It has eaten away at him.

"I think he could have got more backing on the homefront [Penrith].

"That's what I said to them."

Willett would not speculate on whether Gower would formally request a release.

"We'll go and see Penrith when he gets back. He'll make up his own mind," he said.

Coach of English club Castleford, Terry Matterson, revealed yesterday that Gower's manager had been in touch when the issue first blew up at Christmas time.

Matterson said the club was interested in Gower if he is released. The newly-promoted Castleford Tigers are searching for a halfback following the club's failure to sign Cronulla's Adam Dykes.
    http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0...-32463,00.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like he is having a great honeymoon

Titan CEO

awwww...lets all feel sorry for him.

QLD Cup Titan

If he's been in Vietnam on his honeymoon, how's his manager seen him?

Quote Originally Posted by Ipswich Fan
    If he's been in Vietnam on his honeymoon, how's his manager seen him?
    Im not sure......... perhaps Gower is sending photos home with a message saying "im sick, its all the panthers fault" :') He is in Vietnam, he has probably had some bad food, not a bad football club

More on the Gower story from SMH.com.au

Gower's ultimatum: defend me or I'll walk

By Greg Prichard
    February 6, 2006
    AdvertisementAdvertisement

THE Penrith management's reaction to concerns detailed to the club by Craig Gower via his manager, Greg Willett, will this week determine whether the star player formally asks for a release from his five-year, $2.25 million contract.

Willett responded on Gower's behalf yesterday to end speculation about why the manager met Penrith chief executive Mick Leary and coach John Lang on Friday.

He said Gower was not angry with any individuals at the club nor was he necessarily seeking a reversal of the club's penalty - the loss of the captaincy and a $30,000 fine - for his alcohol-fuelled misbehaviour at a charity golf tournament on the Sunshine Coast in December.

But, Willett said, Gower remained deeply upset because he believed he did not get a reasonable opportunity to tell his side of the story before the decision was made and felt the club, while punishing him, should have done more to publicly defend his character.

"Craig gets back from his honeymoon on Wednesday or Thursday and I'll be looking to set up a meeting for us with the Penrith bosses before the weekend," Willett said. "We haven't asked for a release, but nothing has been ruled in or out at this stage.

"Part of the way you fix things is to sit down and have a chat, and Craig asked me to have a word to the club. The next step will be to bring Craig in on a meeting and see how the people in charge react to what was said.

"It's fair to say Craig is looking for the club to accept they went about things the wrong way. It wasn't so much the extent of the punishment, but the way the whole thing was dealt with that gobsmacked him.

"Craig put himself in a situation where he was drunk and he did the wrong thing and he had to cop something for it, but he didn't get the chance to give his side of the story.

"Some of the things he was alleged to have done, he didn't actually do, but the decision was made and dished out and that was it. He's unhappy about the process and he's also unhappy that the club didn't stick up for his character a bit more.

"You can go crook on a bloke for doing the wrong thing, but you can also point out the good things he does and Craig does plenty on behalf of the club.

"The club might still think they handled it the right way, but if Craig doesn't think the answers are good enough and they say, 'Bad luck', he might jump up and say, 'I'm out of here'. Or they might agree they could have handled things a bit better. We'll have to wait and see."

Willett also said Gower had no problem with teammate Tony Puletua accepting the vacant captaincy. "It's rubbish to suggest there is a problem between Craig and Tony," Willett said. "The talk that there is a problem between Craig and the other Penrith players because none of them were invited to his wedding is wrong, too.

"The guest list had to be kept to 90, including family and partners, and that was split between the bride and groom, so the invitations were obviously spread pretty thin. Craig thought that if he invited one or two teammates, others might get upset. He had a buck's night in Sydney with all of them instead."

Leary and Penrith chairman Barry Walsh said they would consider what Gower and his manager had to say.

"Penalising Craig like that was one of the hardest things I've had to do," Walsh said. "We'll talk to him and we'll work on building him back up and his image back up. He is Penrith through and through and we want him to stay."

Melbourne Storm's chief executive, Brian Waldron, said the club would be interested in Gower if he became available, and Castleford yesterday confirmed their interest in him.

Default Penrith in 'panic' over Gower

Penrith in 'panic' over Gower
    By Dean Ritchie
    February 7, 2006

PENRITH was last night accused of "panicking" in sacking Craig Gower as captain although the NRL is pushing for the embattled halfback to remain at the Panthers.

Ex-Panthers centre Ryan Girdler took a swipe at Penrith for their handling of the Gower saga, claiming the club failed to support their skipper.

"I think Craig was treated harshly given he's the club's leader," Girdler said.

"You stand behind your captain through the good times and the bad times.

"I think they panicked. It seemed to be a rash decision which was rushed through."

Gower is poised to request a release from Penrith after losing the captaincy and being fined $100,000 ($70,000 suspended) for groping Wayne Pearce's teenage daughter during a drunken rampage at a charity golf event on the Sunshine Coast late last year.

"I think they could have given him more support. They took the word of people who weren't there," Girdler said. "I know Craig was upset before he left on his honeymoon. If he's upset, maybe it is better he leaves. But that's a decision for Craig to make.

"I know he always put the club first but now he may put himself first."

NRL chief executive David Gallop entered the Gower debate yesterday, saying: "Hopefully the issue will settle down for everyone's sake.

"I'm sure Penrith fans would like to see a local boy like Craig be there for many years to come.

"And local heroes are important to our game."

Canberra and Brisbane - two clubs thought to be interested in Gower should he be released - said they had no room under their salary caps.

TAB Sportsbet yesterday re-opened betting after closing markets on the NRL premiership and wooden spoon after the Gower drama broke. Penrith has now eased from $13 to $24 to win the premiership and firmed from $17 into $7 to claim the wooden spoon.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0...-23214,00.html

It seems that Gower will go to Melbourne Storm and Penrith will sign Cronulla's troubled child Adam Dykes who will play halfback at the Panthers.
    Steve Rogers- A True Immortal!

Quote Originally Posted by Sharks
    It seems that Gower will go to Melbourne Storm and Penrith will sign Cronulla's troubled child Adam Dykes who will play halfback at the Panthers.
    Yeah, this is the 'mail' as they say - I heard the above as well. The only difference to the above is a move to the Castleford Tigers.

Id say bye bye Craig - trouble has a habit of following him.

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Titan CEO

I dont even know weather or not the storm can afford him.

Sure we lost kearns, orford and bell but we also re-signed inglis on the $1million deal, we re-signed cam smith and matt king they would have had a pay rise. We signed crocker who wouldnt be cheap, we also re-signed a few lesser known names and signed other lesser known names. Gower would be in the $400,000 range, i think we would be over the cap.

Default Bleating Gower should grow up

Bleating Gower should grow up
    Comment by Mike Gibson
    February 8, 2006

I HAVE had it up to here with all this bleating about Craig Gower. Any more, and I am likely to throw up.

Since Penrith fined him $100,000 and sacked him as captain following his drunken rampage at a charity golf event, Gower has been portrayed as the victim.

Give me a break.

As an Australia player and captain of an NRL club, his behaviour was disgusting.

He disgraced not only himself and his club, but also the game that has been so good to him.

During his alcohol-fuelled spree, Gower groped the 17-year-old daughter of former rugby league great Wayne Pearce. Pearce could have confronted Gower and belted the daylights out of him.

He could have called the police and demanded that Gower be charged with sexual assault.

But after a wishy-washy statement from Gower - issued several days later - the matter was dealt with by the Penrith club.

So what do we have now?

Gower spitting the dummy, threatening to quit the Panthers because they have the hide to sack him as captain.

Gower's supporters have sprung to his defence.

Ex-teammate Ryan Girdler says he believes Penrith have treated Gower harshly.

Gower's brother, Jason, complains his family is disappointed that Gower has been made to look like "a spoilt brat".

But the most gob-smacking response came from Gower's manager, Greg Willett, who lamented that his client was "heartbroken" at the way Penrith had treated him.

"I have never seen him so white and sick," Willett said, recalling the stress Gower also suffered when he wound up in hospital in 1999.

That was after Gower had exposed himself to an Irish backpacker at the Coogee Bay Hotel.

Heartbroken? Get real.

Gower has been honeymooning with his bride Amanda in Vietnam.

Hardly a "heartbreaking" assignment.

As for the Gower family's concern that he has been made to look like "a spoilt brat", that is entirely Gower's doing.

He is the guilty party who, rather than accept his penalty, threatens to pack his bags and walk out.

Besides. I wonder if the Gower clan would exhibit similar sympathy towards some drunken oaf who did the same thing to a member of their family.

During the summer break, the chief executive of America's Fox Sports network, David Hill, delivered a stern message to the NRL.

In a spirited address, he warned that rugby league would suffer irreparable damage unless the league cracked down on the louts and lowlifes whose behaviour was threatening the fabric of the game.

Gower might be a good footballer, but his record clearly indicates a problem when he does drink alcohol.

His appalling behaviour left Penrith with no option but to strip him of the captaincy.

While Gower's supporters try to persuade us that he has been hideously wronged, their pleas are falling on deaf ears.

I suggest a better way to express their concern would be to tell him to take responsibility for his actions.

The Daily Telegraph

I'm staying, says Gower
    By James Hooper
    February 9, 2006

BESIEGED Penrith halfback Craig Gower has hit out at suggestions of a rift in the ranks at the Panthers - pledging his allegiance to the western Sydney club.

Stripped of the Panthers captaincy and fined $30,000 ($70,000 suspended) for the well-publicised intoxicated incident on Queensland's Sunshine Coast, Gower last night ended a two-month silence to clear the record about his playing future.

Angry at speculation the champion playmaker was poised to turn his back on Penrith, Gower quashed suggestions he was unhappy about the heavy punishment imposed by the Panthers.

But the Penrith halfback will attend a meeting with Panthers chief executive Glenn Matthews today - where he will air grievances about the handling of the investigation and hearing into the Sunshine Coast incident.

"I've got a couple of things I want to sort out with the club. Since I've been away this whole thing about how I want to leave has been blown out of proportion," Gower said.

"There are a couple of personal issues I've got with the club which I want to go in and talk to them about over the next week.

"I'm not angry about the fine, I'll wear my punishment like a man."

Clearing the air at Penrith is a major step forward for the embattled club, who were facing a potentially disastrous revolt in the playing ranks if Gower had departed.

In a sign of solidarity, Gower offered unwavering support for newly elected leader Tony Puletua, who was prepared to give the captaincy back after hearing Gower may have been unhappy.

Having married his partner of six years at a private ceremony at Whale Beach late last month, Gower returned home to Sydney yesterday after spending 10 days honeymooning with new wife Amanda in Vietnam.

The holiday allowed him some much-needed breathing space, having been the subject of outrage and headlines since the night of the Jack Newton celebrity golf challenge last December.

"It was good to get away and just have some alone time with Amanda - I went half way across the world but I've come home to mayhem again.

"It's been hard but I'm dealing with it. I'm not running away."

Gower will today attend a weights session at Panthers headquarters in Penrith where he will clear the air with teammates.

Gower, 27, has a further four years remaining on his current Penrith contract, the club he has played for since the age of 17.

Gower spent last night with his parents Mal and Maria.

The Daily Telegraph understands the Penrith board refused to allow Gower to present evidence at the hearing into the Sunshine Coast incident before stripping him of the captaincy and imposing the fine.

There also remains unrest about perceived pressure from the NRL to come down heavily on Gower.

The Daily Telegraph
    Ok - please end this story NOW. This is getting just as boring as the Souths battles inhouse.