Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Titan CEO

LOL...seems as tho his manager is the only one that has kept this fire burning.

Hehe another manager making a mountain out of a molehill.

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Default Brandy kept Gower at Penrith

Brandy kept Gower at Penrith
    By Dean Ritchie
    February 10, 2006

PENRITH legend Greg Alexander was last night identified as the man who appeased Craig Gower, telling the sacked Panthers captain: "Leave and it will eat you alive."

Alexander, nicknamed "Brandy", telephoned Gower for a heart-to-heart on Wednesday morning when the halfback returned to Sydney from his honeymoon with new wife Amanda.

Gower had expressed disappointment with the Penrith board's decision to sack and fine him after a drunken episode at a Jack Newton charity golf day on the Sunshine Coast late last year.

But input from Penrith board member and friend Alexander persuaded Gower to remain a Panther.

"I've known him 10 years and I know the bloke he is," Alexander said.

"I know if he had left Penrith on this note it would have eaten him alive for perhaps the rest of his life, certainly his football career.

"It wouldn't be fulfilling for Craig had he finished at another club.

"Leaving wasn't the solution, not after the guts he has shown on the field for Penrith over 11 years.

"He's a Penrith boy and I told him to go anywhere else would be giving up all the hard work he has put in at Penrith.

Advertisement:
    "The grass isn't always greener on the other side.
    "I had a good chat to Craig but, in the end, it was always going to be Craig's decision."

Gower returned to training with Penrith yesterday at a weights session and also met chief executive Glenn Matthews to sort out his differences with the club.

But there were unfounded rumours yesterday that all was still not well between the two parties.

However, Alexander said: "He was disappointed with a few things.

"But I asked him whether he had a problem with training, his teammates or 'Langy' (coach John Lang).

"He said he hadn't. That's 90 per cent of the battle won.

"I said that you play for yourself and your teammates. You don't play for the board.

"I was talking to him as a mate - we have been through a bit together.

"But we should remember, Craig never did ask for a release."

Panthers teammates were yesterday relieved that Gower was now staying.

"It would have been a hard start to the season had the No.7 not been filled," prop Joel Clinton said.

"I never thought he was going to leave.

"Craig's a Penrith boy through and through. It's good to have him back."

Preston Campbell added: "We read all these things in the paper, but no one knew what was going on."

The Daily Telegraph

His manager has a lot to answer for!

QLD Cup Titan

Gower's manager reignited the Gower issue with the end result him staying at Penrith so did he just want to get Gower some sympathy & publicity.Hard to understand.

Default Gower in Penrith backflip

Gower in Penrith backflip
    By James Hooper and Paul Kent
    February 11, 2006

THE turmoil surrounding sacked Penrith captain Craig Gower took a dramatic turn last night as it emerged the star halfback was considering a switch to Melbourne.

Three days after pledging to fulfil his $2 million deal with Penrith, Gower is still contemplating a backflip to link with the Storm.

Simmering about a lack of support from Panthers powerbrokers over the charity golf incident, Gower will meet his manager Greg Willett to discuss his uncertain future today.

The Daily Telegraph understands Melbourne would be prepared to offer Gower around $1.6 million over three years.

And premiers Wests Tigers may also be interested in Gower's services if the Panthers halfback was to become a free agent. Gower was unavailable for comment last night while Panthers coach John Lang was unaware of the latest development.

Pressed over whether Penrith would grant Gower a release from his current contract which goes until the end of 2010, Lang said: "I'd cross that bridge if I got to it but obviously no one wants to lose their gun player."

Adding to the intrigue is that NRL clubs are not allowed to enter into negotiations with Gower due to strict anti-tampering laws.

So in effect, Gower is gambling that should he choose to leave he could still find a new home for this season.

No club has made an official approach to the Australia Test player but a halfback of his calibre could easily command interest if Penrith agreed to release him.

Melbourne chief executive Brian Waldron was last night adamant the Storm had not approached Gower, saying: "We've never even spoken to him."

"If Craig decided he wanted to move on and Penrith decided it's in their best interests to let him go we'd love to have a talk to him.

"But at the moment we're all talking hypotheticals."

Gower's decision will have widespread ramifications with the Panthers chances of qualifying for the play-offs plummeting if the star playmaker opts to depart.

The Daily Telegraph

Gower is a tosser - I would not want my club signing this petulant little child. Reminds me of Orford shopping himself around a while ago. Poor Melbourne, I would much prefer they stay with Cooper Cronk.

This Gower story is getting ridiculous.. but if it turns out the way it maybe stated today in the Telegraph and on Whistles and Hooters by Paul Kent.. then it could be the windfall we all want...

The latest rumour to hit the media is that Gower will leave Penrith as his family don't like the attention he has gotten from this issue and think it is time for him to leave the club and start elsewhere for the sake of his new family that he and wife Amanda are looking to start.

The problem for Gower is that he has grown up with Penrith and is reluctant to leave, even though everyone else wants him too. Therefore the option that has now seemed to pop its head is that Gower will seek release at the end of the season and look elsewhere.. and the new team on the market to go after his name.. is none other than.. THE WESTS TIGERS.. As is stated in Queenslanders post above...

That means they are starting to give up on Prince and there must be something in their minds that is saying he will leave, I think, which means that we have a better chance of getting him now..

I just wish though this saga would end.. if Gower's family wants him to lead a normal life once more, then there is one thing that will stop this.. Shut up and stay quiet.. and let the issue die once and for all...