Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default NRL Rumour: Gower to leave Penrith?

NRL Rumour: Gower to leave Penrith?

I have heard a juicy rumour this afternoon - former Penrith captain Craig Gower may be seek a release from Penrith after his wedding (that will be granted by the Panthers) and allow him to head to the UK with a cashed up Super League club like Salford or Wigan.

This is merely a rumour I head this afternoon at the local watering hole with some bush league types. It made for lively discussion it has to be said.

Interesting given the charity gold episode though as with most rumours, it will remain just that...a rumour.

DeeGan

We will have to wait and see. But would the panthers actually let him go though?

Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander
    We will have to wait and see. But would the panthers actually let him go though?
    That was my argument mate - the Penrith Panthers board letting go of their best player knowing full well Preston is coming to the Titans in 2007?? :whatd: ...I don't think so.

I posted this here as their were some sitting with us really warming to the fact this may turn out to be right, I will be interested in seeing some opinions from members.

99.9% chance of not happening IMO.

DeeGan

Titan CEO

Good, i for one hope to never see him agian.

Titan Club Captain

lol hes still gettin married...lol

In an international bad boy exchange.

Gower for Ward.

British clubs would circle like vultures if Gower left Penrith and if he leaves Penrith, he will go overseas, I can't see him playing for any other NRL club.

Could Salford's fantasy of having Gower play for them come true? :erm:

But are the Panthers really stupid enough to let Preston and Gower go at once?
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Junior Titan

Expected this to come after the incident happend.

The guy is from my local town and there have been talks he will move to England but some suggest that this wont happen until after the 2006 season and when his contract is up with the Panthers.

But now that the rumour has leaked the story might get more bigger and might make gower wanna move.

You have been at the Burleigh Bears aye Deegs

Quote Originally Posted by Dragons
    You have been at the Burleigh Bears aye Deegs
    Yes I have been though not when I heard this

DeeGan

Default Gower warned: last chance

Quote Originally Posted by Sunday Telegraph
    NRL chief executive David Gallop has warned Craig Gower not to step out of line again as the besieged Panther picks up the pieces from his wild weekend on the Sunshine Coast.

The edict from Gallop came as The Sunday Telegraph learned Wigan was poised to throw Gower a million-dollar lifeline if he had been sacked by Penrith.

After reviewing Penrith's report into Gower's behaviour on the Sunshine Coast just before Christmas ? which led the club to fine Gower $30,000 and strip him of the captaincy ? Gallop opted against taking any further action.

But after meeting Gower and his manager Greg Willett on Wednesday, Gallop said the Test playmaker could ill afford another misdemeanour.

"We've viewed the report and don't intend taking any further action," Gallop said.

"However, we made it clear that Craig Gower wouldn't want to find himself involved in another serious matter.

"That's not a threat, it's just fact."

The NRL boss said he was satisfied with Penrith's investigation into the alcohol-fuelled incident, which included claims Gower groped the daughter of league legend Wayne Pearce.

"The penalty was appropriate," Gallop said.

"Penrith went through a very lengthy process, they took the trouble to interview a lot of people.

"Craig would be disappointed in himself. The game doesn't need these types of headlines."

Willett revealed that, in the wake of the incident and fearing Gower would be sacked, he contacted a high-ranking English official offering Gower's services.

The Sunday Telegraph can reveal the official as Wigan supremo Maurice Lindsay, although Willett insists no terms of a proposed deal were discussed.

"I spoke to the official and he said if Craig wasn't wanted, there was room at his club," Willett said.

"I was getting the feeling Craig would be cut by Penrith so I had to do something.

"I had to have a Plan B in case something went wrong."

Willett said Gower, who will marry former cheergirl Amanda Flynn next weekend, is now wary of becoming a public target.

Privately, it is believed Gower is furious with the punishment meted out by the Panthers ? and Willett claims the club let their former skipper down.

"I don't think Craig got backed by them," Willett said.

"It was like, 'bang, here's your punishment'.

"He spoke to the board one day and the next it's done and dusted.

"Craig has paid a high price for going on the drink. He was guilty before it was even investigated. I'm not saying he is totally innocent but the whole thing could have been handled a bit better.

"He's just disappointed at how it was handled and how everything happened.

"He's got some soul-searching to do. He knows he has to be careful from now on.

"But he is about to get married and he's getting on with his life."
    http://www.sundaytelegraph.news.com....-28780,00.html

Some details about a possible link to Wigan are told but nothing seems to be set in concrete. It was just a back up if he did get sacked

Titan First Grade Regular Eel 33's Avatar

Stupid if Penrith let both halves go at once. Maybe they could do it if they have another superstar combo in premier league. They've got enough juniors to do it, or have the Roosters already "stolen" them too?

All new reports can go here

DeeGan

As posted in other Gower thread:
    Gower seeks release: report
    Quote Originally Posted by www.foxsports.com.au

PENRITH halfback Craig Gower is reportedly seeking a release from his contract with the rugby league club.

Gower, who was stripped of the captaincy and fined $100,000 ? $30,000 of which was suspended ? following a series of drunken incidents at a golfing function in December, is understood to be unhappy with the action the club took over the matter.

Channel Ten reported the 27-year-old's manager Greg Willett had a meeting with Penrith general manager Mick Leary to discuss various issues in relation to Gower today.

Leary, who did not answer phone calls this evening, was reported to have denied Gower was specifically seeking a release from a five year contract which was signed last year.

Gower has already been linked to the Castleford club in England and NRL team the Melbourne Storm.

He is currently overseas on his honeymoon.
    http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/...3-23214,00.html
    I never realised that the Storm was on the list for Gower! And the superleague club has changed from wigan to castleford!!!

hmmm...i don't think that if Gower were to leave Penrith he would go to another NRL club, only Super League.
    But will Penrith release him?? both halves gone ??(after this season).

I cannot see Gower being released with Campbell going as well.

Who knows, Carty might get in his ear for a possible move north to combine with Preston in 2007?

DeeGan