Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

NRL approves SBW's deal

The NRL has given Sonny Bill Williams' contract the tick of approval, clearing the way for the Sydney Roosters back-rower to make his highly-anticipated rugby league return in Thursday's season opener.

While Williams still has to overcome knee injury concerns and a surgically repaired pectoral muscle to take the field against South Sydney, he now at least has official permission to play.

The dual international's immediate playing future had been in doubt when it was revealed salary cap auditor Ian Schubert was still awaiting paperwork to ratify the deal.

But the Roosters confirmed on Friday that Williams' contract had been granted approval for registration.

"The Roosters have worked closely with the NRL regarding this matter and we were comfortable with the proceedings," Roosters chief operating officer Brian Canavan announced in a statement.

"We now look forward to continuing our preparations for the season opener against Souths, and getting on with what will hopefully be a memorable season of football."

Earlier, centre Michael Jennings said he was never nervous about the contract situation.

"From what I know, he's playing," said Jennings, who signed a four-year deal with the Roosters in January after a strained relationship with Penrith's hierarchy.

As well as Williams and Jennings, five-eighth James Maloney and back-rower Luke O'Donnell are set to make their club debuts against Souths.

Already a concern for the tri-colours was the fact Williams didn't play in either trial after being bashed around in the final few rounds of his WBA heavyweight bout in Brisbane just three weeks ago.

http://www.nrl.com
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I think he will be just as de-stabilising at the Rosters as he was at Canterbury, especially with his "special" contractual agreements, and the fact he will always be looking out for his next opportunity outside of RL. His team mates must know in the back of their minds that he is not really 100% committed to the club or the NRL, and that boxing, Rugby World Cups, any other RL in any country that pays bigger money, etc, etc is always an option for him.

Having said that, I can only assume he will be just as devastating at Roosters as he was at Canterbury (and even more so as a bustling centre in Union) and will draw crowds and media attention, so in that sense it is good marketing.

However, I still can't believe the NRL ever let him rejoin the code, and I never will be able to accept his or the NRL's decision. Pathetic from both parties IMO.

I really couldn't care less. SBW is a star and the NRL is a place for stars. Sport is all about business nowadays.
    2013 - Sezer's breakout year

Admittedly I have softened a lot on $BW an am just looking forward to seeing him get smashed or not. I had a peek at Folau last night and as much as he sh1ts me he was the sole reason I sat through that bore-a-thon. We should attract as many of those as we can ... how would Ablett go at fulback?
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

NRL approves SBW's dealThe dual international's immediate playing future had been in doubt when it was revealed salary cap auditor Ian Schubert was still awaiting paperwork to ratify the deal.http://www.nrl.com
    OMG....SBW.........He was always going to play.