Default GCU and Skilled Stadium

I decided last minute to go to the GCU/Brisbane Roar game last night. What a diabolical stuff up! I got on line in the arvo and saw that there was no option for Ezy tickets so I decided to purchase at the gate. REALLY REALLY big mistake! Queues were massive! I lined up at 6:15 (kick off 6:30) got to the window at 7:10 and was told there were no more 'Special offer' tickets of $22. Being a few minutes short of half time I wasn't going to pay top dollar so I asked for other options...(i.e. I am pretty sure Home and Away Bay is also $22?) I was told the next price range was $29!.......Me and my mate were not paying $29 each to see half a game of football...I argued my point that you were about to lose a few hundred people from going to the game if you didn't offer anymore $22 tickets and was told it was not up to them...........Probably wasn't, but this will need to be addressed for future games. I think Clive would rather have 7 or 800 extra bums on seats at $22 rather than no bums at all. So someone behind the Ticketek window should be able to have the authority to make a decision that 1/ if approaching half time and people are still queued to be able to offer discount pricing. 2/ If 'special offer' seating is exhausted and you still have a thousand people asking for them well GIVE IT TO THEM!. I can guarantee that my comment above on 7 or 800 that walked away is a conserative number.

This is not GCU's fault. But it certainly doesn't help their cause and this is another reason why crowd numbers are down. I can guarantee you that a thousand people walked away. There were still around 300 lined up at half time. Nobody wants to pay maximum money for half a game of football. I just got off the GCU Forum and evidently it was worse inside the stadium. Queues were 60 deep trying to get beer and food as most 'stalls' were closed. Evidently they only expected a crowd of 2000. Idiots! Brisbane Roar supporters travel, so minimum crowd just for them would be 4K.

Anyways.........They have lost me again. I won't be going back anytime soon. I was an inaugural season member in year 1. Went to a few games in season 2 and have slowly gone to less and less games. I think that may have been my last........Until they make the finals then I become a 'bandwagoner' and their number 1 supporter..

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    I decided last minute to go to the GCU/Brisbane Roar game last night. What a diabolical stuff up! I got on line in the arvo and saw that there was no option for Ezy tickets so I decided to purchase at the gate. REALLY REALLY big mistake! Queues were massive! I lined up at 6:15 (kick off 6:30) got to the window at 7:10 and was told there were no more 'Special offer' tickets of $22. Being a few minutes short of half time I wasn't going to pay top dollar so I asked for other options...(i.e. I am pretty sure Home and Away Bay is also $22?) I was told the next price range was $29!.......Me and my mate were not paying $29 each to see half a game of football...I argued my point that you were about to lose a few hundred people from going to the game if you didn't offer anymore $22 tickets and was told it was not up to them...........Probably wasn't, but this will need to be addressed for future games. I think Clive would rather have 7 or 800 extra bums on seats at $22 rather than no bums at all. So someone behind the Ticketek window should be able to have the authority to make a decision that 1/ if approaching half time and people are still queued to be able to offer discount pricing. 2/ If 'special offer' seating is exhausted and you still have a thousand people asking for them well GIVE IT TO THEM!. I can guarantee that my comment above on 7 or 800 that walked away is a conserative number.

This is not GCU's fault. But it certainly doesn't help their cause and this is another reason why crowd numbers are down. I can guarantee you that a thousand people walked away. There were still around 300 lined up at half time. Nobody wants to pay maximum money for half a game of football. I just got off the GCU Forum and evidently it was worse inside the stadium. Queues were 60 deep trying to get beer and food as most 'stalls' were closed. Evidently they only expected a crowd of 2000. Idiots! Brisbane Roar supporters travel, so minimum crowd just for them would be 4K.

Anyways.........They have lost me again. I won't be going back anytime soon. I was an inaugural season member in year 1. Went to a few games in season 2 and have slowly gone to less and less games. I think that may have been my last........Until they make the finals then I become a 'bandwagoner' and their number 1 supporter..
    Truly was a public relations disaster! Sat next to a couple that paid $54 and only got to see 6 minutes of the 1st half...the word of mouth from this debacle could be mortal in the end for GCU...many people I spoke to said they would not be coming back to a GCU match again...and they were telling lots of people in person and online!

What a nightmare. The last thing you want to do, when you finally coax some new fans to a game is put them through such an ordeal.

And the news about the lines for food and drink don't get any better. Talk about suffering fans for those that follow the team.

And as you said Shamus, against the Roar it is insane, because they will bring a fair few fans as well.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

United 'insignificant', says Palmer

GOLD Coast United chairman Clive Palmer won't guarantee the future of his `insignificant' club and says rugby league is a `much better' sport than football.

The poorly supported and last-placed United are officially in crisis.

In a startling admission of his disregard for football, Palmer said he was not even a fan.

"I don't even like the game," he said, according to The Sunday Mail.

"I think it's a hopeless game. Rugby league's a much better game."

United are spiralling out of control, with Palmer's previously close friendship with Gold Coast coach Miron Bleiberg in tatters.

Palmer last week suspended Bleiberg for suggesting the elevation of teenage rookie Mitch Cooper to the captaincy was merely a ceremonial gesture.

Bleiberg's ban was just for the one match, but the livid coach is unsure whether he will return to the club.

If he does, it might only be until the end of season, with Palmer seemingly no longer interested in the club or the sport despite having two more years to run on his A-League licence.

"It's not my decision. Clive Mensink's the CEO. Whatever he decides, I'll go along with," said Queensland's richest man.

"The club is a very small, insignificant portion of what I do. We've got over $20 billion of projects."

Football Federation Australia has lost patience with Palmer's antics, with chief executive Ben Buckley last week telling a Sydney newspaper the time had come to make a `serious evaluation' of the club.

Not that Palmer is concerned. The mining magnate, who has little respect for Buckley, dared FFA to strip him of his licence.

"If we wanted to stay (in the A-League) and they (FFA) wanted to take it (the licence) off us, they'd all be in court, and Ben Buckley would run a thousand miles," Palmer said.

"That's the reality of it. They can say what they like ... the A-League's a joke. I don't think I'll ever talk to Ben again in my life, to be honest."

If this is United's last season, Palmer feels his legacy will be giving a host of young players a shot.

"I know our team's bottom of the table, but ... they've got all the skills these guys. They're going to be Socceroos most of them," he said.

Palmer is particularly fond of speedster Ben Halloran -- one of the few Coast players contracted for next season -- and slammed his exclusion from the current Olyroos squad that has all but failed to qualify for this year's Olympics.

"The Olyroos were hopeless," he said. "Halloran was never selected for the Olyroos -- why not?

"He's one of the best players in the A-League. What I don't like about football is that everything's based on who you know. None of it's based on how you perform."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post

"That's the reality of it. They can say what they like ... the A-League's a joke. I don't think I'll ever talk to Ben again in my life, to be honest."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

haha...why don't you speak your mind Palmer!

for me the best sports in the world has to be cricket and league. I hope i can own a soccer franchise now :/

I have to agree with him 100% I hate the game myself the most boring sport there is around.
    He should dump it all together and give that cash to titans
    This year will be BLUE Go NSW!

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Prince lost of his shine when Matty Rogers retired. Matty used to make him look good (IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by Smakked View Post
    I have to agree with him 100% I hate the game myself the most boring sport there is around.
    He should dump it all together and give that cash to titans
    The last thing you want is this idiot running your club.

Six months earlier:
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan_Matchu View Post
    Be very worried Titans fans, Clive has stated just how poor Skilled Park is and will build a bigger and better stadium right next to Skilled Park. The most worrying thing is that he also stated he is willing invest in Carrara facilities that is only going to help the AFL.

Bad news boys, Clive ain't gunna let you guys use the stadium and you'll be stuck with the worst and smallest stadium on the Gold Coast once Metricon gets upgraded. So my question is how long until the Titans fold?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Umm yeh - cause you can take Clive Palmers word to the bank can't you
    And a bigger, better stadium for soccers 5000 strong crowd? Yeh thats gonna fold the Titans, ya drop-kick. The Titans will stand on their own legs without being underwritten for millions\year by headquarters, and without relying on a 400lbs suggar daddy's day to day fantasies. Nothing like telling a Queenlander they're gonna fail - you d!ckhead Victorians will never get it

Worry about your own cricket field when the novelty wears off....

I predicted this more accurately in another thread that disappeared when the forum upgraded. I believe the Knights have the same threat hanging over their head; things are nice and rosy now, but if the fatboys fetish for owning a football club fades....

Titans should only take donations from Palmer on the condition that it remains anonymous and has NO strings attached....

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Six months earlier:

I predicted this more accurately in another thread that disappeared when the forum upgraded. I believe the Knights have the same threat hanging over their head; things are nice and rosy now, but if the fatboys fetish for owning a football club fades....

Titans should only take donations from Palmer on the condition that it remains anonymous and has NO strings attached....

You nailed him on that one Ryan. Yea and about the missing posts, they still exist, just need to be sorted back into their original forums.

Dont GCU have a game tomorrow on the Coast?

what makes it even sadder is that i was in there academy side last year and its very hard to try support your club when this kind of rubbish goes on. They even gaves us all a free season pass and still i think i used it once and most people never went they need to sort something out because atm gcu is a joke. oh and dont even get me started on line ups for food and things like that 1000 people and you still have to wait ages :|

p.s they are in far better hands being coached by mike then by miron

If winning isn't everything, then why do they keep score?

It seems that GCU and Roar fans have a 'united' facebook page for banner making and chants they can come up with for the last game of the A-League season in March at Skilled*. They are still undecided on whether to put crap on Palmer, the FFA or both. For two supporter clubs that despise each other on the pitch I find this 'intriguing' (for want of a better word) that the game can bring opposites together considering their volatile past. It will be very interesting to see if this all works out. There was a suggestion that the two supporter groups unite in the same stand but that is asking for trouble as it only takes one idiot to start an all in...

For those that don't care (TP being one ) the protest is for the way Palmer has run the club and to a lesser degree how FFA run the entire A-League.
    TV rights are up for bidding in 2013 so it would be interesting if free to air are interested in TV rights. Probably not....

I could go on forever about the lows (and very few highs) the GCU supporters have gone through. Even Paul (anyone remember Paul...ex Legion?)...They don't deserve the crap that has been handed to them and in all probability will have no team to support next season as few would convert to Roar. That would be like a Titan switching to a Bronco...Never ever going to happen..

Anyways.......a lot of you will jump at this opportunity to say good riddance (TP again) but no one should be happy to see a club fold. I don't even need to mention the repercussions involved in this. Loss of job etc not just for the palyers but for all involved. Not good in this climate and all rather sad TBH.

I think I may even go to the last game...and I do mean the last game.

*Probably GCU's last game as the club has Buckleys** chance of surviving through to 2013.

**Pun intended.

Would GCU really fold? I know ya can't take Clive Palmer's word as being gospel. But seems lately he's been talking up his young guns and appears to have a lot of faith in them.